If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:That would be great, since we probably have the best venue in ASUN.
The Vines Center is not the best venue in the ASUN
I can't imagine any better venue than Vines Center in the ASUN.

Where is a better venue ?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:That would be great, since we probably have the best venue in ASUN.

NJIT
FGCU
Lipscomb

All have better nachos
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:bigger doesn't mean better ballcoach. You should know that
Oh snap
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Again, since having the "best" venue really only applies to a single-site tourney, it is irrelevant. In the current format, home court is always the best venue for each team.

For hosting a tournament, bigger is not better. Travel distance, amenities (how new and "nice" the facility is), local attractions and a number of other factors are far more important than capacity. While I am not yet very familiar with the other venues in the ASUN, there are several that are newer, would require less overall travel, and are located in or near places with more things to do.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Disregarding the nachos, this is how I grade a venue, in no certain order :

hotels near-by
food places near-by
game day operations
seating

Only venue in ASUN that may come close to Vines Center is FGCU, but I am not sure if their seating is enough for a championship game.
By LUDad
As Oldflame mentioned in a another thread, defense travels. Lipscomb , in their wins have averaged 50.9% shooting from 2pt range & 37.8% from 3pt range. However, in their losses, Lipscomp has only managed 37.9% from 2pt. range & 32% from 3pt. You need to defend their threes but you really beat them by clamping down inside the arc.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Per Manson's tweet, The NET is not likely to be a factor if a tiebreaker is needed between Lipscomb and Liberty. The top seed would be determined by your record against other ASUN teams, starting at the top. As an example, if Lipscomb wins out and Liberty loses to North Florida, it would come down to whether North Florida or FGCU finish higher in the standings. Considering the current logjam in the 3-7 spots, that is certainly "yet to be determined". Not sure what happens if those 2 teams were to finish tied.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Disregarding the nachos, this is how I grade a venue, in no certain order :

hotels near-by
food places near-by
game day operations
seating

Only venue in ASUN that may come close to Vines Center is FGCU, but I am not sure if their seating is enough for a championship game.
Most of the things you rated as important would probably not fall in our favor against several other ASUN venues. I can't say for sure, since I have not been to any of them, but I strongly suspect you have not either. As far as capacity for a final is concerned, unless the home team is in it (and in some cases even if it is) SMALLER is BETTER. Tiny crowds in large venues for a nationally televised final are the reason the ASUN and many other low/mid major conferences have gone away from single-site tournaments.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LU is best overall venue I have been to. Granted I haven't been to any ASUN schools, yet. But I have been to many SEC and ACC schools, and lot of mid major ones. Where LU gains an edge is access in and out, no traffic problems, numerous hotels close by, eating places close by, security/safety. This includes all sports, not just basketball.
Probably worst venue I have been to is University of Georgia.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I thought the traffic on Wards was awful??? Doesn't that rule out LU?
I have been to many ball games and other events at LU, and never got on Ward's Road, except sometimes near airport. 460 is my friend.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Disregarding the nachos, this is how I grade a venue, in no certain order :

hotels near-by
food places near-by
game day operations
seating

Most of the things you rated as important would probably not fall in our favor against several other ASUN venues. I can't say for sure, since I have not been to any of them, but I strongly suspect you have not either. As far as capacity for a final is concerned, unless the home team is in it (and in some cases even if it is) SMALLER is BETTER. Tiny crowds in large venues for a nationally televised final are the reason the ASUN and many other low/mid major conferences have gone away from single-site tournaments.
Based on that criteria Lynchburg VA isn’t very well suited. LU is the Second most Northern school in the conference so it’s not centrally locates. Nashville and Florida would be better draws with more than ample hotel and “food places” nearby. NJIT has the newest facility and getting there would be as easy as Nashville. And you want a sellout environment for your one big moment on ESPN. Every other venue promises that.
And again. Nachos
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Nashville is bigger than Lynchburg, but when you isolate Liberty and Lipscomb, LU is a better venue for a ball game. Nashville can be a traffic nightmare, plus there's "nothing" near Lipscomb, when compared to Liberty & Lynchburg.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:Parking at Lipscomb could be an issue
Parking at LU is never an issue :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Until we joined ASUN, I had no idea where Lipscomb was located.
Sounds like a “You” problem
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ASUN used to be hosted in Macon, GA. Good central location.

Hold it in Nashville, just not on Lipscomb’s campus.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I like tournaments where all games are at same venue. Single sites are high schoolish.
Single site MEANS that all the games are at the same venue. :roll: What the ASUN does is the higher seed hosts format. The fact that you like something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. I used to really enjoy the BSC single site tournaments. I scheduled time off from work and traveled to several of them over the years. As a single guy and a basketball junkie with not much of a life, I thought it was great, but I fully understand why most low/mid-major conferences don't do it any more. What you call "high schoolish" is now the norm for most conferences at this level, and there are an abundance of reasons for it.

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]