If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Like ASOR said, it depends on the higher finisher between UNA and Jacksonville in short
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Like ASOR said, it depends on the higher finisher between UNA and Jacksonville in short
If both Liberty and Lipscomb win out, it will actually be the higher seed between FGCU and N Florida that will break that tie, but since there is a good chance they will end up tied, that spot would be determined by the same tiebreaking process, which would include the scenario you mentioned. It's still very much up in the air, and upsets are certainly possible. We beat NJIT handily at home, but Friday's game will be in NJ,, and they are coming off a game when they gave Lipscomb all they could handle in Nashville, on Senior night.

Personally, the only reason I care about getting the first seed is that it would mean an auto-bid to the NIT if we lose in the ASUN tourney. I think our chances of winning against Lipscomb if we played them in the final would be every bit as good on the road as at home.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The game in NJ has worried me from the day the schedule was released. The loss to North Florida may haunt us for years.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The game in NJ has worried me from the day the schedule was released. The loss to North Florida may haunt us for years.

I'm going to call :BS on your 20/20 hindsight "premonition" on the NJIT game. New conference, and other than knowing Lipscomb is really good, none of us really knew what to expect going into the season, least of all you. I actually feel like we match up well with NJIT. As far as being "haunted for years" by the N Florida loss is concerned, back off on the drama please. I personally will not be losing any sleep over it, and this team has shown they have the ability to move on after a bad game.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:The game in NJ has worried me from the day the schedule was released. The loss to North Florida may haunt us for years.

I'm going to call :BS on your 20/20 hindsight "premonition" on the NJIT game. New conference, and other than knowing Lipscomb is really good, none of us really knew what to expect going into the season, least of all you. I actually feel like we match up well with NJIT. As far as being "haunted for years" by the N Florida loss is concerned, back off on the drama please. I personally will not be losing any sleep over it, and this team has shown they have the ability to move on after a bad game.
I went to the NJIT game in Lynchburg. Even though we beat them pretty handily, they look like they have the players to give us a tough time. Especially if they can play 40 minutes like they played the first 10 of that game. I do have a little concern for this Friday's game.
By tyndal23
Beating Lipscomb at their place might haunt us for years - we now have to beat a better team twice rather than saving our 1 win for when it counts :).
By LUDad
A Sea of Red wrote:
Kricket wrote:The likeliest scenario is Liberty and Lipscomb have the same record, and so will FGCU and North Florida.

What's the tie breaker in that scenario? Does it go back to NET?
Very complicated but my best understanding is it would then be determined by whoever finishes higher between UNA and Jacksonville since UNF swept UNA and FGCU swept UNA.
UNA & Jacksonville are playing tonight. Are we rooting for a UNA win?
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, that's how I interpreted it. If that's the case it looks like our chances are still good that we can win the conference. UNA is beating Jacksonville right now.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I guess FGCU is actually an underdog at Jacksonville, so when you combine the fact that we have to beat NJIT and FGCU has to beat Jacksonville, we really have only a 23% chance of still winning the conference based on BPI predictions.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote:I guess FGCU is actually an underdog at Jacksonville, so when you combine the fact that we have to beat NJIT and FGCU has to beat Jacksonville, we really have only a 23% chance of still winning the conference based on BPI predictions.
Makes no sense that FGCU is an underdog in that game, even if it is in Jacksonville. They not only have a better record, they have a lot more to play for. A win could give them a home game in the tourney, while Jacksonville is locked into the 7 seed.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Doesn't look good. if we beat NJIT and FGCU beats J'ville, that will leave FGCU and N Fla tied for 3rd and NJIT in 5th. Since N Fla and FGCU are both 1-3 against the top 2, the next tiebreaker would be their records against NJIT. They both split. Next would be N Alabama, and N Fla swept them while FGCU split, which would give the Ospreys the 3 seed, and since Lipscomb swept them and we split, the Bisons get the 1 seed. If my calculations are correct, our only hope for the 1 seed is a N Alabama upset of Lipscomb. Stranger things have happened, right?
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
If we win against NJIT and Lipscomb loses to North Alabama and then we're the #1 seed. Otherwise, we're at home on Monday. If we win on Monday, we're at home on Thursday. If we win on Thursday and Lipscomb loses any tournament games, we're at home again for the championship on ESPN. If LU-TN wins their first two, we go to Nashville.

All the other talk is just messageboard fodder......oh wait :D
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I'm so confused now. I'll just wait for all the games to be played and look at the standings then. Haha
I am taking that route also.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Not really all that confusing IMHO, but leaving out all the intervening steps, it can be simplified to unless Lipscomb loses to N Alabama and we beat NJIT to win first place outright, the tiebreakers are in Lipscomb's favor and they get the #1 seed.
By Jonathan Carone
oldflame wrote:Not really all that confusing IMHO, but leaving out all the intervening steps, it can be simplified to unless Lipscomb loses to N Alabama and we beat NJIT to win first place outright, the tiebreakers are in Lipscomb's favor and they get the #1 seed.
This is where things are. It's pretty simple.

And honestly, I'd rather have the #2 at this point.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Not really all that confusing IMHO, but leaving out all the intervening steps, it can be simplified to unless Lipscomb loses to N Alabama and we beat NJIT to win first place outright, the tiebreakers are in Lipscomb's favor and they get the #1 seed.
My post was said in jest because the people on this board have completely butchered how the fine writers for ASOR explained it and made it much more confusing than it actually is.

but sure, brag about how smart you are :lol: :lol: :lol:

(That was a joke, just fyi)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The bizarre thing about the tiebreakers is that the #1 seed could ultimately be determined by a game way back on Jan 8 when a N Alabama team that isn't even eligible for an NCAA bid, was picked by pretty much everyone to finish last, and had just lost their inaugural ASUN game by 30 to N Fla, beat FGCU.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:

Agreed, that appears to be a much better path for our success due to match-ups.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:

As far as the tournament itself is concerned, I kinda sorta agree. That path would be:

Game 1 at home against #7 Jacksonville. Even though we swept them, I still thought they were a tough matchup til recently. They have not played well lately though.

Semis at home against 3/6 winner (probably N Fla).

Final at Lipscomb if chalk holds. We know we can beat them there.

I certainly wouldn't be upset if the unlikely happened and we did get the 1 seed, mainly for our fans and because it would give us an autobid to the NIT if we did not win the ASUN tournament. I think we will have the resume for an NIT at large bid anyway, but would rather we didn't have to sweat that one out.
By LUDad
So, just clarifying this in my mind, as long as LU holds serve in final game, LU will get top seed if either Lipscomb or FGCU lose, correct?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:So, just clarifying this in my mind, as long as LU holds serve in final game, LU will get top seed if either Lipscomb or FGCU lose, correct?
FGCU losing won't help us. We would need Lipscomb to lose.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
If we meet Lipscomb again we better get a hand in their face on 3 pointers early. I've been watching them on ESPN+ and they like to come out and burry you by 15 pts with them in the first 5-8 mins.

I love their TV announcers, those two guys are great.
By LUDad
oldflame wrote:
LUDad wrote:So, just clarifying this in my mind, as long as LU holds serve in final game, LU will get top seed if either Lipscomb or FGCU lose, correct?
FGCU losing won't help us. We would need Lipscomb to lose.
Forgive me, but I still don't get it. Assuming LU wins, LU and Lipscomb would be tied for 1st. Net rankings do not apply for seedings. So you compare each of their conference records for the tie breaker, correct? LU and Lipscomb lost to each other so that tiebreaker is tossed out. Each team only has one more lose to compare (assuming LU wins). LU lost to N. Flordia which is now in 3rd place, 1/2 game ahead of FCGU which beat Lipscomb. So, if FCGU loses, they would finish in 4th place behind 3rd place N.Fla. Doesn't that mean that LU did better in their conference games than Lipscomb by beating the higher ranked team in their only other loss?
2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Sounds like you don't watch UVA play that much. I […]