If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
oldflame wrote:
LUDad wrote:So, just clarifying this in my mind, as long as LU holds serve in final game, LU will get top seed if either Lipscomb or FGCU lose, correct?
FGCU losing won't help us. We would need Lipscomb to lose.
Forgive me, but I still don't get it. Assuming LU wins, LU and Lipscomb would be tied for 1st. Net rankings do not apply for seedings. So you compare each of their conference records for the tie breaker, correct? LU and Lipscomb lost to each other so that tiebreaker is tossed out. Each team only has one more lose to compare (assuming LU wins). LU lost to N. Flordia which is now in 3rd place, 1/2 game ahead of FCGU which beat Lipscomb. So, if FCGU loses, they would finish in 4th place behind 3rd place N.Fla. Doesn't that mean that LU did better in their conference games than Lipscomb by beating the higher ranked team in their only other loss?
After head to head (a split), you look at the team's results against the rest of the league in descending order. Because N Fla is in 3rd and we split with them while Lipscomb swept them, Lipscomb wins the tiebreaker.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:With a sub .500 record, no one should go to NIT.
I don't disagree, and no one ever has so far, but the rules do not prohibit it. UNC went a few years ago with a 16-16 record, and that is the only .500 team to make the field. If you read the article, Penn State is a pretty unique situation this year. They have beaten some really good teams and are ranked 50th in the NET. They are also playing their best basketball the last month, and IMHO would stand a good chance of winning if they got in. Oh yeah, they are also the defending champions.

I might add that it is also possible (although unlikely) for a sub .500 team to win a regular season conference championship and get an automatic NIT bid if they did not win their conference tournament. Right now, Iona is in a log jam of 4 teams at the top of the Metro Atlantic conference with an 11-6 record, and their overall season record is 13-15.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
NIT projections are difficult simply because you know you will have several regular season champs from one-bid leagues that will take auto berths, hopefully leaving teams like Pedophile State out of the running.

I wonder if Furman somehow won the SOCON tourney if the SOCON would get two NCAA bids with them and Wofford.

Y'all have had an awesome year. We've done alright, but for the talent we had on the roster, a bit short of where we want to be. RU at CU on Clemons senior day for the right to host the tourney tomorrow. Clemons has been insane this season if you haven't paid attention. I think the BSC could easily be one of those leagues where the regular season champ doesn't win the tourney, it didn't happen last year (thanks to guess who), and the field is wide open, even PC has been shockingly good this season.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I should know this but I don't: has LU ever been in the NIT? :dontgetit
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I should know this but I don't: has LU ever been in the NIT? :dontgetit
Nope. The 96-97 team that was 23-9 after losing in the BSC final was on some sort of watch list for the NIT and was granted permission to continue practicing til the field was announced, but I don't believe they were seriously considered.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
g-webb1994 wrote:NIT projections are difficult simply because you know you will have several regular season champs from one-bid leagues that will take auto berths, hopefully leaving teams like Pedophile State out of the running.

I wonder if Furman somehow won the SOCON tourney if the SOCON would get two NCAA bids with them and Wofford.

Y'all have had an awesome year. We've done alright, but for the talent we had on the roster, a bit short of where we want to be. RU at CU on Clemons senior day for the right to host the tourney tomorrow. Clemons has been insane this season if you haven't paid attention. I think the BSC could easily be one of those leagues where the regular season champ doesn't win the tourney, it didn't happen last year (thanks to guess who), and the field is wide open, even PC has been shockingly good this season.
What Wofford has done this year to go undefeated in a Southern Conference that is arguably the strongest it has ever been, is pretty remarkable. That is always one of the best mid-major conference tourneys, but this year should be really special.
Wofford 25-4
UNCG 25-5
Furman 23-6
E Tenn St. 22-8

cbssports.com bubble watch says Wofford is "a win away from coming off the bubble and an undefeated conference season." It would be highway robbery if they somehow didn't get in, and both UNCG and Furman are capable of knocking them out of the conference tourney.
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
Do not sleep on ETSU either. I was at the Wofford vs ETSU game in JC and ETSU should have won the game. Any of the (4) could win the conference tournament but most likely only Wofford would get an At-Large if they lose.
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]