If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

jimflamesfan wrote:I am very happy with the ASUN for all sports except for football. It is nice to have a conference that appreciates Liberty.

The schools are in better markets and trying to get better.
Being in a conference that wants you is a good feeling. I know the UNA fans like the fact that Liberty joined, I think Liberty will cause several of the schools to amp up their game not only on the court and field, but facilities as well. The conference will get better as stability continues. When there is constant talk about schools leaving, it really holds the other schools down with what they want to get accomplished because of uncertainty. When its stable, those schools can move forward with planning upgrades, recruiting better student athletes, and scheduling better games non conference.

I really like what the commissioner keeps saying when asked about expanding the conference, he says it has to be the right fit. Not just a warm body anymore.
The more I stare at that C-USA map, the more I think that the American Conference might be a good someday fit. Schools in FL, TX, the Northeast, NC, TN, OH... If you want to market the school nationally, that might be the best footprint of any conference. Lots of travel for non-revenue teams though.
BlueBlood wrote:The more I stare at that C-USA map, the more I think that the American Conference might be a good someday fit. Schools in FL, TX, the Northeast, NC, TN, OH... If you want to market the school nationally, that might be the best footprint of any conference. Lots of travel for non-revenue teams though.
I like the American for football, it would be a strain for non revenue sports though. As for Liberty, I think the ASun is a great place for non football sports. If you could get an associate membership in a conference like the American that would be top shelf if you ask me. That's the kind of deal I want to see UNA get one day, stay in the ASun and football go to a good conference like the American.
The Americans TV contract is going to be about 8 million per school in the new contract (up from the current 2). The revenue would offset the travel cost. If we ever got the option to go there I would bolt. That’s the feeder to P5. Plus schools like ECU travel well.
Ewglenn wrote:The Americans TV contract is going to be about 8 million per school in the new contract (up from the current 2). The revenue would offset the travel cost. If we ever got the option to go there I would bolt. That’s the feeder to P5. Plus schools like ECU travel well.
400% growth of TV deal? Wow! Why is it expected to go up so much?
I would be shocked if they scored that type of revenue increase. And I am EXCEPTIONALLY well connected in this space.

The AAC schools are bracing for a drop. There is not the capital floating around for investment as in past contract cycles. The hope is that digital packages can generate the additional review. But that assumes that primary packages will be worth what they were just a few years ago. And they aren't.

Anything outsids of the P5 you are looking at many different factors but revenue is not top of the list.
I'd like the Big East, A-10, or CAA with Liberty remaining football independence, and in that order of preference. If we include Football, after the P-5 pipe dream, AAC or CUSA, which I think is where we'll be heading come 2024. Although, both conferences will probably look a lot different they they do now. A entirely new SE regional conference may also be a possibility. The ASUN for now is acceptable, especially since they embraced us despite our ambitions.
ballcoach15 wrote:AAC is only conference not a P5 that we should even remotely consider. Big East, A-10 and CAA are mostly northern conferences. I rather stay in ASUN, than go up north. Plus those 3 conferences are weak in everything but basketball.
The CAA is an FCS conference and I highly doubt they would be interested in us as a non-football member (nor would we). Probably pointless to ask, but on what do you base your position that the Big East and A-10 are "weak" in "everything but basketball"? Oh, by the way, basketball is a pretty big deal.
Don’t worry about it, LU is going to buy their way in to a P5 by 2025 ( all sports ) and have 3 key donors match dollar for dollar LU investment of the $250 million buy in...so only $125 hit to our endowment and a minimum return ( depending which on P5 ) of $ 30 million after 5 years of not taking a conference payout until year 6. ( contract will protect against conference breakup or realignment of course ). ROI will go back to donors or investment bankers if required...
ballcoach15 wrote:Thanks JK.

We have a good basketball team, but I think in future the LU flag will be carried by football, softball and baseball.
You are wrong. Even when the men's basketball team is bad, it is still the second most important sport (when it is not first, as in Kentucky, Kansas, Carolina and Duke, and any school that doesn't have a football team). Almost always. Almost anywhere. As always, there are the handful of "exceptions that prove the rule".

As far as Liberty is concerned, our baseball team has a LOOOOONG way to go to be as good as our basketball team. Same could be said for football, even though we are hopeful they are on a fast track with HF at the helm.
Forgive me on my thoughts pertaining to basketball. I still recall my 8th grade Phys. Ed teacher teaching about history of basketball. He said Dr. Naismith invented the game "to have something to do, between football and baseball season". I guess I took that to heart, even until to this day.
ballcoach15 wrote:Forgive me on my thoughts pertaining to basketball. I still recall my 8th grade Phys. Ed teacher teaching about history of basketball. He said Dr. Naismith invented the game "to have something to do, between football and baseball season". I guess I took that to heart, even until to this day.
You’re 8th grade PE teacher was correct. Basketball has surpassed baseball in popularity on college campuses I don’t know of a single College or University who looks to make a Conference move based on Baseball or Softball.
Anyone with any sense knows Football and Basketball rule the roost
ballcoach15 wrote:Football does rule at most schools. Basketball rules at many non football playing schools.

Softball does rule at Longwood.
That shows how little you actually know about the place you apparently despise so much. Despite their lack of success, Longwood has a very rabid basketball fan base, both students and locals. They play in a crackerbox gym, but they create a pretty hostile environment there. Softball............not so much. They have had a lot of success, but pretty much nobody cares.

Football, or no football, there are very, VERY few schools where baseball is prioritized over basketball. Stetson is probably one, but they have paid a price in placing a huge emphasis on baseball at the expense of basketball.
oldflame wrote:That shows how little you actually know about the place you apparently despise so much.
I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that Ballcoach has ever been to a Longwood basketball game in Farmville.
Cider Jim wrote:
oldflame wrote:That shows how little you actually know about the place you apparently despise so much.
I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that Ballcoach has ever been to a Longwood basketball game in Farmville.
Cider, you are correct.

I still can't understand why BSC invited Longwood in.
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]