If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Sometimes it’s about quantity over quality, BC.

Everyone who has said football and basketball his highest influence is right. I do remember when Miami joined ACC, it was noted several times that baseball would benefit hugely, because Big East baseball was a joke.
Cider Jim wrote:
oldflame wrote:That shows how little you actually know about the place you apparently despise so much.
I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that Ballcoach has ever been to a Longwood basketball game in Farmville.
I suspected the same, which is why I suggested he really did not know what he was talking about (which, of course, never stops him) when he said softball is the big sport there. I've been to several games there over the years, including back in the D2 Mason Dixon conference days when they were our fiercest rivals featuring future NBA great Jerome Kersey. Their fans are obnoxious, but intense.
Sly Fox wrote:I would be shocked if they scored that type of revenue increase. And I am EXCEPTIONALLY well connected in this space.

The AAC schools are bracing for a drop. There is not the capital floating around for investment as in past contract cycles. The hope is that digital packages can generate the additional review. But that assumes that primary packages will be worth what they were just a few years ago. And they aren't.

Anything outsids of the P5 you are looking at many different factors but revenue is not top of the list.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnati ... -expansion

I can’t find the interview but the UCONN AD was talking about dropping sports to lower the deficit but was saying something about expecting an additional 6 million in revenue from the AAC contract. I can’t remember where I saw that.
BJWilliams wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Why have you guys not put ballcoach on your foe list? It saves you from reading his garbage.
I have...saves me alot of drama
You guys are missing out on a lot of fun! Even the newspaper has a comics section. Read his posts with the proper perspective and it saves you the stress and you might get a chuckle out of it. He actually on occasion displays a sense of humor with a sarcastic bite to it.
flamehunter wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Why have you guys not put ballcoach on your foe list? It saves you from reading his garbage.
I have...saves me alot of drama
You guys are missing out on a lot of fun! Even the newspaper has a comics section. Read his posts with the proper perspective and it saves you the stress and you might get a chuckle out of it. He actually on occasion displays a sense of humor with a sarcastic bite to it.
But it calls itself the comics section.
Kricket wrote:I agree, I feel like the AAC should be the target, but we probably need 10-15 years of success at the FBS level and have basketball stay on its upward trajectory to have any remote shot of making that jump.
I don't think it take that long. I'd hate to dump ASUN after one season, but I think we are "AAC Ready"..........now.
ballcoach15 wrote:
Kricket wrote:I agree, I feel like the AAC should be the target, but we probably need 10-15 years of success at the FBS level and have basketball stay on its upward trajectory to have any remote shot of making that jump.
I don't think it take that long. I'd hate to dump ASUN after one season, but I think we are "AAC Ready"..........now.
As far as MBB goes, I think most of the ASUN teams would be glad we were gone after only 1 season. Although, I don't think we go anywhere until 2024. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.
LUOrange wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:
As far as MBB goes, I think most of the ASUN teams would be glad we were gone after only 1 season. Although, I don't think we go anywhere until 2024. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.
That's a crazy statement...

Why would anyone in the ASun want Liberty to go based on basketball? That's the 1 sport in the conference that generates revenue for all schools. If Liberty is good, that's a great thing. And even greater if Liberty, Lipscomb, FGCU all cause the rest of the conference to up its game. The more chances the conference has to get possible multiple bids into the NCAA tournament and even the NIT the better.

And on the flip side, If Liberty really feels like being a football indy is best for Liberty (like i have heard multiple times) i dont see Liberty going to any football playing conference.

And from what i understand, UNA, KSU and possibly FGCU are looking at Liberty on a possible blueprint on how to go about indy FBS status as well.
(I know this is a basketball section) but if Liberty, Army, BYU, NMSU, UNA, KSU, UMass and FGCU(assuming they upgrade their club football) all in as Indy, that would be a huge advantage for the indy schools for scheduling. I left out Notre Dame because of their deal with the ACC. But I have heard that is being talked about among UNA and KSU, and staying in the ASun for other sports.
@Lion1983

I'm pretty sure Independent is temporary unless there's no other option. IF there is a realignment in the next 4-6 years, I would guarantee that LU will take any opportunity to go into an conference with football like the AAC or non football like the A-10 or if possible, the Big East. If we continue on the trajectory that we're heading, increase researching in academic fields as well as increasing the population, I can see us joining the AAC if the BIG XII take some schools like UH, UCF and possibly Cinnci and UM/USF. Yes we're thankful to be with the A-SUN because of the Markets, but it would be wrong to think that Liberty will not take an opportunity that would save them money and receive more exposure.
ASUN is better for Liberty than A-10 or Big East. The schools in those 2 conferences are mainly basketball schools. Heck, I am not sure if they have other sports, other than the very minimum to abide by Title IX. Playing those northern schools might help basketball some, but it would hurt all other sports. Plus who wants to go to New York or some other northern city or town in the winter ?
Liberty can gain more exposure in places like Nashville, Atlanta, Jacksonville, fort Myers, and the Great State of Alabama, than they could up north. LU's recruiting footprint is geared more toward the South, than the north.
But then again, there are a couple of fans, who told me they will miss going to Radford and Farmville.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:@Lion1983

I'm pretty sure Independent is temporary unless there's no other option. IF there is a realignment in the next 4-6 years, I would guarantee that LU will take any opportunity to go into an conference with football like the AAC or non football like the A-10 or if possible, the Big East. If we continue on the trajectory that we're heading, increase researching in academic fields as well as increasing the population, I can see us joining the AAC if the BIG XII take some schools like UH, UCF and possibly Cinnci and UM/USF. Yes we're thankful to be with the A-SUN because of the Markets, but it would be wrong to think that Liberty will not take an opportunity that would save them money and receive more exposure.
I wasnt saying Liberty wouldn't take the opportunity if that's what is best for the University. What I was saying is, why would someone say everyone in the ASun would want Liberty to go because of being a top basketball school in the conference? Then it turned into something else. My bad.

But let's be real, the Big East isnt going to invite. The A-10 could, but would more than likely have to lose a school or two to even consider inviting someone. The AAC may be a possibility IF the Big 12 decided to raid them. And this realignment shuffle that is supposedly coming is a guess more than reality. The only major realignment that I can see coming outside of 1 or 2 schools just changing conferences is that the Major P5 schools break from the NCAA and form their own Association and only play among themselves, and that will not involve Liberty or anyone in a mid major conference. I guess then, Liberty may get in the ACC, but so will Campbell, Charlston Southern and so on. Point is, it wont make a difference. Everyone wants P5 money and exposure.

What I see that is more realistic, and this is my opinion, but the ASun and all schools in it, embraced Liberty and everything Liberty stands for. Instead of jumping or talking about jumping to a "better" conference, why not help make the ASun the better conference? Why not try, with the rest of the ASun, to make the ASun a conference were other schools and fans think, I hope we can get to the ASun?

Why go to an established conference when you could help establish the conference you are in?

I know by staying in contact with him, the Commissioner of the conference is very interested in how he can make the ASun a top tier conference. He just has to have the schools commitment to do it.
Lion1983 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:@Lion1983

I wasnt saying Liberty wouldn't take the opportunity if that's what is best for the University. What I was saying is, why would someone say everyone in the ASun would want Liberty to go because of being a top basketball school in the conference? Then it turned into something else. My bad.

But let's be real, the Big East isnt going to invite. The A-10 could, but would more than likely have to lose a school or two to even consider inviting someone. The AAC may be a possibility IF the Big 12 decided to raid them. And this realignment shuffle that is supposedly coming is a guess more than reality. The only major realignment that I can see coming outside of 1 or 2 schools just changing conferences is that the Major P5 schools break from the NCAA and form their own Association and only play among themselves, and that will not involve Liberty or anyone in a mid major conference. I guess then, Liberty may get in the ACC, but so will Campbell, Charlston Southern and so on. Point is, it wont make a difference. Everyone wants P5 money and exposure.

What I see that is more realistic, and this is my opinion, but the ASun and all schools in it, embraced Liberty and everything Liberty stands for. Instead of jumping or talking about jumping to a "better" conference, why not help make the ASun the better conference? Why not try, with the rest of the ASun, to make the ASun a conference were other schools and fans think, I hope we can get to the ASun?

Why go to an established conference when you could help establish the conference you are in?

I know by staying in contact with him, the Commissioner of the conference is very interested in how he can make the ASun a top tier conference. He just has to have the schools commitment to do it.
My comment was said in jest because of how successful we've been this year. We all appreciate the ASUN, however Liberty and us fans are ambitious about our athletics program and will do what's necessary to accomplish our objective. In the meantime, I'm sure we're committed to improving the conference while we're here, however long that may be.
Last edited by LUOrange on February 22nd, 2019, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Athens Regional

Just moved from NJ to Knoxville area- might take i[…]

2024 Season Thread

The Jackson to the hot seat stuff is almost as[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Week 7 - Top Performers - Runs - Fanatics 46 HR[…]

As I said before, LU will win the CUSA but going t[…]