If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
Since our hoops program's credibility is rising, I think it would be cool if the powers that be would start a tournament that would feature faith based universities (In name or true faith based) it could be a four team or eight team tournament. here are my picks:

four team
Liberty
BYU
Notre Dame
Loyola-Chicago

eight team
Liberty
BYU
Notre Dame
Loyola-Chicago
ORU
Cal Baptist
Grand Canyon
Baylor/De Paul/Valparaiso

what would be your selctions?
There are several directions you could go with this. One example would be to put together a field of 4 schools who are actually unapologetic in being based on Evangelical Christianity. I couldn't think of 4 who were D1, so one of them is a nationally ranked NAIA program, which I think would actually be pretty cool for an early season or holiday tournement, which is what this would be.

Liberty
ORU
Grand Canyon
The Master's University

If there is another truly like-minded D1 program I didn't think of (don't give me Wake, Baylor or a Catholic school) we could plug that in instead of Master's.
ballcoach15 wrote:Truth be known, there are only 2 schools who are actually faith based, in my opinion. Liberty and BYU.
A lot of schools were founded as faith based, but they have gone backwards.
We may not agree with some of their theology, but ORU is certainly faith-based. Grand Canyon doesn't have quite the Christian emphasis they once did, but they still qualify IMHO. Notre Dame in many ways operates as a secular institution, but they are still run by Catholic clergy.
ballcoach15 wrote:Truth be known, there are only 2 schools who are actually faith based, in my opinion. Liberty and BYU.
ORU isn't faith based to you?
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Basically can consider most of the BIG EAST. That can also help with recruiting as well as showing some depth/continual growth of our program in that region.
As is the case with ND, those Big East Catholic schools, while they are for the most part owned and run by the Catholic church, pretty much operate as secular institutions.
thepostman wrote:
ORU isn't faith based to you?
But BYU is. :roll:
Actually, I think they both are, despite the fact that Mormanism is clearly a cult.
Last edited by olldflame on February 7th, 2019, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigsmooth wrote:Since our hoops program's credibility is rising, I think it would be cool if the powers that be would start a tournament that would feature faith based universities (In name or true faith based) it could be a four team or eight team tournament. here are my picks:

four team
Liberty
BYU
Notre Dame
Loyola-Chicago

eight team
Liberty
BYU
Notre Dame
Loyola-Chicago
ORU
Cal Baptist
Grand Canyon

I love your 8 team lineup. A good mix and would provide interesting matchups.
thepostman wrote:
bigsmooth wrote:Since our hoops program's credibility is rising, I think it would be cool if the powers that be would start a tournament that would feature faith based universities (In name or true faith based) it could be a four team or eight team tournament. here are my picks:

four team
Liberty
BYU
Notre Dame
Loyola-Chicago

eight team
Liberty
BYU
Notre Dame
Loyola-Chicago
ORU
Cal Baptist
Grand Canyon

I forgot that California Baptist is now D1 (and off to a great start there BTW).
After being reminded that California Baptist is now a D1 program competing in the WAC, here's my updated 4 team Evangelical school tourney:

Liberty
ORU
Grand Canyon
Cal Baptist

I actually kinda liked having the Master's U in there because they are a really good NAIA program who could spice things up with an upset, but this probably makes more sense. Should actually be pretty competitive as well (although if it were held this year, I would like our chances).
SumItUp wrote:I'm amazed how easy it is for some to troll others on this board with idiotic statements. I try to block trolling contributors, but their posts continually end up in quoted conversations. :D
I respond because it gives me joy. Don't rob me of this. :D
Lipscomb, Belmont, Mercer, SMU, Baylor ... all could fall into the category on broad-based perspective. Some of these schools would have student bodies surprised to find themselves in this category. Some more than others.

Grand Canyon would make a bunch of sense.
thepostman wrote:

four team
Liberty
BYU
Notre Dame
Loyola-Chicago

eight team
Liberty
BYU
Notre Dame
Loyola-Chicago
ORU
Cal Baptist
Grand Canyon

I thought so too. Im thinking I would go De Paul for my last team. From a major conference with a decent known name but not that good. lol
Having hung around the GCU campus I had no idea it was “Faith Based” until after I left my first visit. So I would strike them from the list. People still think of Baylor as a Baptist School despite everything so you could go with them. BYU and ORU are no brainers. So my 4 Team Tournament would be:

Liberty
Baylor
BYU
ORU

8 teams would be a little more difficult but I like the idea of throwing a D2 or NAIA a school for grins and giggles
ND
Georgetown
Valpo
Masters/Azusa/Cal Baptist/Houston Baptist/Anything Baptist
2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Sounds like you don't watch UVA play that much. I […]