If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Class of 20Something
soccer7 wrote:Let the people that took sport management at LU talk about supply and demand. Take a look at Dukes model for basketball.
Or the lottery system at every major football program.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
soccer7 wrote:Let the people that took sport management at LU talk about supply and demand. Take a look at Dukes model for basketball.

Seriously? 9300 seats, 200-1000.00 per ticket. If the LU Sports Mgmnt supply and demand experts are trying to mimic that, all we'll need is a150 seat arena and supply would still exceed demand. They also only allow 1200 students in the student section.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:

Seriously? 9300 seats, 200-1000.00 per ticket. If the LU Sports Mgmnt supply and demand experts are trying to mimic that, all we'll need is a150 seat arena and supply would still exceed demand. They also only allow 1200 students in the student section.
Um. Could we get an era of LU SMGT that we are talking about please? Asking for a friend :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Duke would love to have a newer bigger arena. Coach K would not. They have had to figure out a lot of ways to add value to boosters.
And LU is not Duke
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
rogers3 wrote:

Um. Could we get an era of LU SMGT that we are talking about please? Asking for a friend :D
Yeah, can't throw all the SMGT folks under the bus!
By Jonathan Carone
That new arena is a win-win.

For now, as we build a basketball program and the fan base needed, an arena of 4500-5000 is the perfect size. Having a few sellouts of 5000 would be better than 5500 in Vines.

If we get to the point where we're selling out every game or need the 8000 seats of Vines, we can move games over there and women's basketball and volleyball still get to use the smaller arena. It helps the university with setup/tear down in Vines and offers the best environment possible for all the different sports. I honestly see no drawback at all.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
This is one of the best moves that has been made in the history of LU athletic facilities.

RMK will have no interest in moving over to the Vines for a big game. The last thing a coach wants to do is play a game on a foreign court on your own campus. The move to the new arena will be semi-permanent until demand requires it and upgrades are made to the Vines Center.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
soccer7 wrote:At one point Duke was a dumpster fire.
At one point every program was a dumpster fire
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:This is one of the best moves that has been made in the history of LU athletic facilities.

RMK will have no interest in moving over to the Vines for a big game. The last thing a coach wants to do is play a game on a foreign court on your own campus. The move to the new arena will be semi-permanent until demand requires it and upgrades are made to the Vines Center.
I didn’t think RMK was content being a smaller version of Winthrop, but hey, more power to him.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
OK, I don't know what RMK would say specifically, but most coaches want to focus on what is happening on the court. If they have a solid crowd, it's all good. They don't need to move to a different court to add more people. When the crowds are ready and the Vines is ready, the games will return.

Winthrop?
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:OK, I don't know what RMK would say specifically, but most coaches want to focus on what is happening on the court. If they have a solid crowd, it's all good. They don't need to move to a different court to add more people. When the crowds are ready and the Vines is ready, the games will return.

Winthrop?
Winthrop is just too high of a bar- 6000 students, plays in a 6100 seat arena. Personally, I have higher expectations (and I want us to be the next Gonzaga). Only time will tell; a small arena is great for programs that have a smaller draw, but we should expect more as time goes by. Back in the day (1997, actually) we averaged around 5500. In McKay's first tenure we had some large crowds. I think we'll see some of that before the new arena even opens.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Winthrop has average 1500 - 2000 in attendance the last two seasons. Perhaps they are considering a smaller arena?
By Jonathan Carone
I think it's impossible to compare crowds in 1997 to crowds in 2019 and beyond. The options people have (students and locals) are exponentially greater than what they were 20 years ago.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think it's impossible to compare crowds in 1997 to crowds in 2019 and beyond. The options people have (students and locals) are exponentially greater than what they were 20 years ago.
Same holds true with football. Basketball is an easier sell for many. If Syracuse showed up on the BB schedule next year, I'd bet the Vines Center would have more filled seats as a percentage of the total than will Williams Stadium next September. Funny thing is that if it was announced that we were going to 40k seats for football, quite a few people who love the idea of a small basketball venue would be wetting their pants with excitement.

Oh well, no sense in beating a dead horse- and I'm in the minority here. I can live with that.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:And those people with pee pee pants would be wrong too.
Yes, they would. We shouldn't expand the Bill again until we are filling it on a regular basis (and I don't believe we will).
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think it's impossible to compare crowds in 1997 to crowds in 2019 and beyond. The options people have (students and locals) are exponentially greater than what they were 20 years ago.
Same holds true with football. Basketball is an easier sell for many. If Syracuse showed up on the BB schedule next year, I'd bet the Vines Center would have more filled seats as a percentage of the total than will Williams Stadium next September. Funny thing is that if it was announced that we were going to 40k seats for football, quite a few people who love the idea of a small basketball venue would be wetting their pants with excitement.

Oh well, no sense in beating a dead horse- and I'm in the minority here. I can live with that.

We can't fill our current stadium. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who would be excited about a 40,000 seat football stadium anytime soon.
2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Sounds like you don't watch UVA play that much. I […]