If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Newark, New Jersey

NJIT Hoops Official Site

Brian Kennedy
3rd Season as NJIT Head Coach

2018-2019 Schedule Results
  • Overall .... 18-5
    A-Sun ........ 6-2
    Away ......... 9-3

• NOV 06 - COLGATE ................................................ W, 81-78 (OT)
    NOV 09 - @ BINGHAMTON ..................................... W, 74-57
    NOV 11 - BROWN .................................................. W, 63-60
    NOV 14 - KEAN ...................................................... W, 73-40
    NOV 17 - CORNELL ................................................ L, 73-86
    NOV 20 - @ WAGNER ............................................. W, 71-60
    NOV 24 - @ LIU BROOKLYN .................................... W, 77-70
    NOV 28 - @ DREXEL .............................................. W, 70-67
    DEC 01 - @ UMASS LOWELL ................................. L, 71-94
    DEC 04 - @ ARMY .................................................. W, 77-72
    DEC 08 - ST. FRANCIS BROOKLYN .......................... W, 82-60
    DEC 11 - @ FORDHAM ........................................... W, 53-50
    DEC 15 - @ FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON ........................ W, 90-80
    DEC 29 - @ #22 HOUSTON ...................................... L, 59-80
    DEC 31 - @ DUQUESNE .......................................... W, 78-67
    JAN 05 - KENNESAW STATE* .................................. W, 72-52
    JAN 12 - @ NORTH ALABAMA* ................................ L, 55-61
    JAN 16 - LIPSCOMB* ............................................. L, 52-70
    JAN 19 - JACKSONVILLE* ...................................... W, 77-74
    JAN 21 - @ NORTH FLORIDA* ................................ W, 76-72
    JAN 24 - @ STETSON* ........................................... W, 82-59
    JAN 27 - NORTH ALABAMA* ................................. W, 76-70 (OT)
    JAN 30 - FGCU* ..................................................... W, 66-54
    FEB 02 - @ LIBERTY*
    FEB 09 - @ KENNESAW STATE*
    FEB 13 - @ FGCU*
    FEB 16 - NORTH FLORIDA*
    FEB 20 - STETSON*
    FEB 23 - @ JACKSONVILLE*
    FEB 25 - @ LIPSCOMB*
    MAR 01 - LIBERTY*

ASUN CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT
    MAR 04 - Quarterfinals
    MAR 07 - Semifinals
    MAR 10 - Championship

Key Players

[img][/imgi]
#0 Abdul Lewis[/size]
6' 10" 225 lbs Senior Forward
Thru 23 Games: Averaging 12.2 Pts, 9.6 Rebs & 2.1 Assists

[img][/imgi]
#4 Zach Cooks[/size]
5' 9" 155 lbs Sophomore Guard
Thru 23 Games: Averaging 18.7 Pts, 4.7 Rebs & 2.0Assists

[img][/imgi]
#15 Diandre Wilson[/size]
6' 2" 170 lbs Senior Guard
Thru 23 Games: Averaging Pts, Rebs & Assists
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Start slow and we will be 0-2 for the week. Play the full 40 and we win comfortably.
By CCWMichael
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Start slow and we will be 0-2 for the week. Play the full 40 and we win comfortably.
Game plan is to make baskets early and often :beatinghorse
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:Game plan is to make baskets early and often
That game plan is Ballcoach approved! :clapping :oldhag :nod
By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
They are certainly trying to keep the crowds coming! Current planned events for the game.

1) Pre-game Students Only Car Smash

2) Disney Princess Meet & Greet

3) Half-time Dog Frisbee Performance

4) TBA (Post Game Concert I Suspect)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Just give me 40 minutes of good basketball
Hopefully it doesn’t go into OT
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Just give me 40 minutes of good basketball
Hopefully it doesn’t go into OT
Very true, I do not like OT games. Plus I think OT in college is too long. (5 minutes). I wish rules were changed to no more than 2 minute OTs.
The final 2 minutes of regulation is long enough with time outs, intentional fouling, etc.

It was high school, but I recall going to a high school game at Randolph Henry in Charlotte County to scout once. When I arrived at the gym there was 2:32 left in JV game. 24 minutes later, game was over. (no OT)
By tyndal23
Crowd looked bigger than Lipscomb game on TV ( due to Baptist side being very full ). Official attendance ?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Liberty's four double figure scorers almost outscored NJIT as a team
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Attendance: 3,782--including one guy on stilts that looked like he belonged in a circus. And Ballcoach was there! :oldhag
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
On a Saturday night? I expected a dip in attendance but not by this much since it is a Saturday. But we have already established that my expectations are probably higher than they should be.
By Class of 20Something
I think the crowd confirms the decision to build the new arena. At 4500 seats that would be 83% of capacity.

I did hear that students had trouble quickly processing into the Lipscomb game because of a lack of student ID scanners. Does anyone think student gates should open early for athletic events? That may have factored into return attendance for NJIT.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I think the crowd confirms the decision to build the new arena. At 4500 seats that would be 83% of capacity.

I did hear that students had trouble quickly processing into the Lipscomb game because of a lack of student ID scanners. Does anyone think student gates should open early for athletic events? That may have factored into return attendance for NJIT.
Nah. Everyone shows up right at tio-off time. Last night I’d bet there was less than 2,000 in the building 5 minutes before tip-off. With the construction I’ve just realized I need to get there earlier than I normally would.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Following his 4 for 4 night against NJIT, Georgie is shooting over 54% from 3 :shock: He would be leading the nation if he had enough makes. I've always thought the qualifying minimum of 2.5 made 3s per game was too high for that stat. Punishes players for being selective.
Last edited by olldflame on February 3rd, 2019, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:The smaller arena will do wonders, that is for sure.
Think small... it does wonders.

In regards to the crowd, I think there are still a good number of locals that used to go to games back in the days when we had consistency in our game. While we are quickly surpassing the play of yesteryear, it did take years of play and press, along with bringing in some good opponents, to build numbers up. There was a time when our new high school arena would leave 1-2,000 spectators outside in the cold. Hopefully McKay has a bigger idea of what kind of fan support the team will have in the next few years. The optics of a capacity crowd are better than 2500 in the Vines, but 4500 in a small arena isn’t as impressive as say 7500-8000 in the Vines Center. I hope that is the direction we are moving.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:

In regards to the crowd, I think there are still a good number of locals that used to go to games back in the days when we had consistency in our game. While we are quickly surpassing the play of yesteryear, it did take years of play and press, along with bringing in some good opponents, to build numbers up. There was a time when our new high school arena would leave 1-2,000 spectators outside in the cold. Hopefully McKay has a bigger idea of what kind of fan support the team will have in the next few years. The optics of a capacity crowd are better than 2500 in the Vines, but 4500 in a small arena isn’t as impressive as say 7500-8000 in the Vines Center. I hope that is the direction we are moving.
You are overstating the attendance back in the 90s. Crowds of over 7000 were very rare. You could count them all on your fingers. I believe the new building will allow for 5000 with standing room. I would rather turn away 1,000 than have 6,000 in the Vines. High school arena? Hardly. It will be a state-of-the art showplace.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
rogers3 wrote:

You are overstating the attendance back in the 90s. Crowds of over 7000 were very rare. You could count them all on your fingers. I believe the new building will allow for 5000 with standing room. I would rather turn away 1,000 than have 6,000 in the Vines. High school arena? Hardly. It will be a state-of-the art showplace.
Please read before responding. I didn't overstate anything; I simply used a number for comparison. High school, baby!
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:The trend is smaller, nicer arenas. Its going to feel like a huge upgrade.
Yes, UVa set that trend with JPJ. JMU is following it with their new Convo. A good team will draw, but it takes a while to rebuild the fan base. If we play consistently over the next few years, men's home games will be at the Vines Center on a frequent basis.
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
Let the people that took sport management at LU talk about supply and demand. Take a look at Dukes model for basketball.
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]