If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Having set about 6 rows up and witnessed tonight. I would be shocked if we beat that group barring major injury this year. They are taller, shoot better and forced us to be a drive only team. Marberry is a punk but he manhandled scottie on both ends. They are confident and knew how to attack us perfectly. I think its a big race for 2nd now with njit now.

Good news. Most of the guys that killed us that we couldnt matchup with are seniors and we have 2 pieces coming in next year that we need desparately against teams like that in rode and robinson.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Having set about 6 rows up and witnessed tonight. I would be shocked if we beat that group barring major injury this year. They are taller, shoot better and forced us to be a drive only team. Marberry is a punk but he manhandled scottie on both ends. They are confident and knew how to attack us perfectly. I think its a big race for 2nd now with njit now.

Good news. Most of the guys that killed us that we couldnt matchup with are seniors and we have 2 pieces coming in next year that we need desparately against teams like that in rode and robinson.
You can add Blake Preston to that list. It was a tough call to redshirt him this year, and he would have helped last night. Also Price and Maide will give us a couple of 3 point shooting options we can plug in there if the starters are not hitting. Maide is also surprisingly athletic. Best player on a Carmel Christian team that is ranked #24 nationally and on track to repeat as state champs. I think Robinson would have to be ahead of Preston on the depth chart not to redshirt, which is not out of the question.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
We didn't play well and then add that Libscomb is very good. They are long and they all move without the ball well, can finish and shoot. That's a good team. Pack-line might not be effective against a team like that. When they shot a three - they had their legs under them and weren't rushed - when we shot our threes - they always looked forced and off balanced.

Libscomb is good. Might be hard to beat them - this year. I hope I'm wrong, but that team will give any team problems, especially if they shoot that well.
Last edited by prototype on January 30th, 2019, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
We started slow like we have been which is what I feared. Lipscomb proved they are a legit team and, like i said earlier, even if we were at our best I'm not sure we would've won.

I hope this team continues to get the kind of support they deserve.
By Jonathan Carone
The kryptonite for our version of the packline has always been long guys who could shoot from beyond the three point line. Lipscomb was nailing NBA range shots all night long. Then when they got around the basket it was automatic.

They're really good. I think most of us would agree they're better than us right now. But that doesn't mean we can't beat them.
By Class of 20Something
Even if we hit our average from 3 they still would have clobbered us.

Like Mid Major Madness tweeted out, I feel sorry for NJIT. This team is about to make a statement.

I'm fairly new to basketball so can someone explain why a referee can't stop play when a player is writhing in pain from getting slapped in the eye? Also, how did no one get ejected, because it happened three times.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have never liked redshirting in basketball, unless it's because of an injury.
A lot of people used to think that way, including myself, and more importantly, Ritchie McKay. Times have changed. If a young freshman, who may be talented but needs to get physically stronger, is going to be your 12th or 13th man and play very limited minutes, a redshirt year working with a top strength and conditioning coach like Henry Barrera can give him a much more productive 4 year playing career. It also gives him a year to learn the system. From an academic standpoint, it almost always will enable him to finish his time at school with a master's degree, which is a huge plus for his future after basketball.

I really, REALLY think it's time for the NCAA to make changes to the redshirt rules in all sports comparable to what was done recently with football. Allow a player to participate in about 30% of their team's games and still redshirt.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Allowing a player to play X number of games and still redshirt, would be a good rule change. If they do it for football, they should do it for all sports.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Even if we hit our average from 3 they still would have clobbered us.

Like Mid Major Madness tweeted out, I feel sorry for NJIT. This team is about to make a statement.

I'm fairly new to basketball so can someone explain why a referee can't stop play when a player is writhing in pain from getting slapped in the eye? Also, how did no one get ejected, because it happened three times.
The math says something different. If we had hit our season's average on 22 3 point attempts, we would have had 15 more points. Not enough to win in and of itself, but it certainly would not qualify for the term "clobbered", and if the game had been closer, it could have taken a totally different direction, with the crowd playing a bigger role. Hope you are right about the game against NJIT Saturday.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Allowing a player to play X number of games and still redshirt, would be a good rule change. If they do it for football, they should do it for all sports.
I may have to re-evaluate my position. 8) No, actually, I totally agree, and it would be ridiculously simple to do. There is already a rule in place for medical redshirts which sets the limit at 30% of the team's regular season games. Simply remove the requirement for a medical condition. There are teams who have been playing fast and loose with that as it is.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Lipscomb was the best passing team that I've ever seen.

Some of the old guys around me were screaming for Newton to play, just because he is 7'2". I had to disagree. Newton was not the answer last night. :nono
By CCWMichael
I had o wait to post. That game hurt.
They destroyed us.
It was ugly.
I'll tell myself it is only one game. Good thing it's not football, there is a ton of time to make up for this performance.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Even if we hit our average from 3 they still would have clobbered us.

Because if they stopped every time someone grabbed their face - the team that just lost the ball would do it every time. The rule is if a player gets hurt - they need to take a knee and then once your team gets the ball - they will stop play. Refs aren't prefect and plays happen so quickly - not sure they saw any of the pokes and I saw nothing that suggested they should have given anyone a T.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Lipscomb was the best passing team that I've ever seen.

Some of the old guys around me were screaming for Newton to play, just because he is 7'2". I had to disagree. Newton was not the answer last night. :nono
Their passing and cutting was remincent of the 80's and 90's Princeton teams that gave so many big boys trouble in the tourney. They moved very well without the ball. They have a very tall team. They take good shots. I can see them being a real problem if they win the ASUN. We get to see them again and we will be better prepared.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
They beat Jacksonville by 3... they are good, but they aren't Duke. I bet we give them a game next time. Right now, we need to be concerned with the not-radford Highlanders.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Bad offensive game plan.
Well if you’re gonna troll ....
What was the game plan? WS the game plan executed well? What game plan would you advocate be run and how would that fit in with the overall Philips the team and how best could it have been executed? As someone who’s been around athletics in one form or another for nearly 60 years I’m sure you have a. Answer
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
For the record, Ballcoach was NOT at the game, and I don't even know if he listened to it on the radio. Maybe his "sources" told him it was the wrong game plan. :dontgetit
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
What was the game plan? WS the game plan executed well? What game plan would you advocate be run and how would that fit in with the overall Philips the team and how best could it have been executed? As someone who’s been around athletics in one form or another for nearly 60 years I’m sure you have a. Answer[/quo

First of all, I am not trolling.

Scoring only 24 points in first half, speaks for itself. But for the record, I gathered most of my assessment of the game from Twitter.

Were you at the game ?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
What was the game plan? WS the game plan executed well? What game plan would you advocate be run and how would that fit in with the overall Philips the team and how best could it have been executed? As someone who’s been around athletics in one form or another for nearly 60 years I’m sure you have a. Answer[/quo

First of all, I am not trolling.

Scoring only 24 points in first half, speaks for itself. But for the record, I gathered most of my assessment of the game from Twitter.

Were you at the game ?
Nope. But I am not the one saying it was a bad offensive game plan. Then to find out you make that statement and weren’t even AT the game but following on Twitter is priceless. And proves you are Trolling. Well done
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, Lo[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]