If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By gerb
Jerry Sr went to the games. Made it a point. The students responded
Misunderstood. Meant SR leadership not showing up for the team is an issue? they should try to be to at least 50% of home games. Tone at the top.
By gerb
thepostman wrote:Having Jerry Sr at games was great. He sat right across from the student section, was engaged the whole time, yelled at the refs and came over and said hi and thanked the students almost every game. Him and towns were always so entertaining at basketball games.
I believe Towns preceded Sr surfing the crowd in that photo if I recall correctly.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
gerb wrote:
thepostman wrote:Having Jerry Sr at games was great. He sat right across from the student section, was engaged the whole time, yelled at the refs and came over and said hi and thanked the students almost every game. Him and towns were always so entertaining at basketball games.
I believe Towns preceded Sr surfing the crowd in that photo if I recall correctly.
Yeah. You're probably right. Towns did it while I was a student too. haha. Good times.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
My observation is JJ is “visible” at football, but not “all over the place”. He is visible FROM nearly every place, while perched in his suite. At basketball, there is no such ivory tower from which to observe in separation.

Just my observation.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
He was also YELLED AT by at least one opposing coach. 8) One of my more vivid memories of they heyday of the LU/Radford rivalry.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:He [JF, sr.] was also YELLED AT by at least one opposing coach. 8) One of my more vivid memories of they heyday of the LU/Radford rivalry.
TF loves telling that story!
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
gerb wrote:I'll concede there is more to do now, but what is enrollment now vs early 90's? 5 times what it was? What is staff headcount vs? What is alumni population in Lynchburg vs? probably similar multiples. I just don't get it. Especially with the quality of the product.
The "quality of the product" hasn't been good until recently. It takes time for people to get excited and change behavior patterns.

As for "more to do," think about this:

When we were undergrads, students could not have TV's in their dorms. The internet was nascent... in fact, you could just about type a site you wanted to visit, go to the game, and come back just in time for the page to load. :lol: Dorms were mostly all "traditional" in nature. Although the dorms now provide much more comfort, there was a greater sense of community in dorms when we attended. Lynchburg shopping has changed dramatically.

I agree also with the importance of Doc. He was a larger than life personality and it was just fun to be in the crowd with him. Play Basketball
By LU 57
alabama24 wrote:
gerb wrote:I'll concede there is more to do now, but what is enrollment now vs early 90's? 5 times what it was? What is staff headcount vs? What is alumni population in Lynchburg vs? probably similar multiples. I just don't get it. Especially with the quality of the product.
The "quality of the product" hasn't been good until recently. It takes time for people to get excited and change behavior patterns.

When we were undergrads, students could not have TV's in their dorms. The internet was nascent... in fact, you could just about type a site you wanted to visit, go to the game, and come back just in time for the page to load. :lol: Dorms were mostly all "traditional" in nature. Although the dorms now provide much more comfort, there was a greater sense of community in dorms when we attended. Lynchburg shopping has changed dramatically.

I agree also with the importance of Doc. He was a larger than life personality and it was just fun to be in the crowd with him. Play Basketball
+1

Sounds like we may have been from the same era. What years?

I was 90-94.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I loved sitting by the "Sweet 16" and looking over to the left and seeing Dr. Falwell in his customary position, giving the refs all he could...and the crowd surfing...oh the crowd surfing...
By gerb
alabama24 wrote:

No tv? Must have been a goodie goodie. I was in dorm 13. The cubbie directly above the door was for the forbidden tv. Just mute when the ra knocks on the door. We probably watched every movie at the video store that year. Never busted once. Rules were meant to be.... well, never mind.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
oldflame wrote:He [JF, sr.] was also YELLED AT by at least one opposing coach. 8) One of my more vivid memories of they heyday of the LU/Radford rivalry.
TF loves telling that story!
I was at that game, it was hilarious. Jerry just dismissed him. Just kids having fun. Not sure I was ever more proud of Sr.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]