If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By FlamesRise
This team has the quality of a tournament team! but do the students even realize this? What can be done to get students at games and actually be loud college sports fans the whole time? :dontgetit
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
There is a group of students trying to get more organized. They have a twitter account and it would appear they are at least trying to get something more organized together. If they can get Jerry's Jokers on board then we could really have a fantastic student section....we shall see.
By Class of 20Something
Bennett QB is tweeting Jerrys Jokers about painting up for the Jacksonville game. The Jokers are @ing HCHF to get him there too.
By FlamesRise
Is creating an organized group going to just change the way the student body operates though? Why won't they just stay away from that section and stay sitting?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
FlamesRise wrote:Is creating an organized group going to just change the way the student body operates though? Why won't they just stay away from that section and stay sitting?
Huh? :dontgetit
By FlamesRise
Will the peer pressure of a group actually help get more students involved? The students seem to be pretty stubborn a lot of the time
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It's hard to say. My guess is there will be some resistance but I also think there are others who want to be involved who just need a bit of a push. I guess we will soon find out.
By Jonathan Carone
FlamesRise wrote:Is creating an organized group going to just change the way the student body operates though? Why won't they just stay away from that section and stay sitting?
The answer is yes and no.

There will always be a large majority of people who show up for games to be social and hang out with friends. As long as they're there, I'm good with it.

If there is an organized group of students leading the student section, others will join in even if they're not a part of the group. We proved that 07-09 with The LUnatics. Even the 09-10 season when fan support started dropping there were still a good percentage of students who were there who were involved because they had a group leading them.

If the Jokers will actually show up at every game and be there to lead -- or if some other group will do it for them -- then it'll turn around.
By cruzan_flame13
Jonathan Carone wrote:

There will always be a large majority of people who show up for games to be social and hang out with friends. As long as they're there, I'm good with it.

If there is an organized group of students leading the student section, others will join in even if they're not a part of the group. We proved that 07-09 with The LUnatics. Even the 09-10 season when fan support started dropping there were still a good percentage of students who were there who were involved because they had a group leading them.

If the Jokers will actually show up at every game and be there to lead -- or if some other group will do it for them -- then it'll turn around.
That other group will be the reboot of the LUnatics. They have a twitter page @LibertyLunatics, although their last post was in December of last year.
By Class of 20Something
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

That other group will be the reboot of the LUnatics. They have a twitter page @LibertyLunatics, although their last post was in December of last year.
The new group is @LUFIREPIT and they are active on twitter and engaging with other athletes like Bennett and Remington Green and getting them painted for Saturday.
By FlamesRise
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
FlamesRise wrote: The answer is yes and no.

The new group is @LUFIREPIT and they are active on twitter and engaging with other athletes like Bennett and Remington Green and getting them painted for Saturday.
It looks like the Jokers are organizing that, but maybe they will work together some? It seems the Jokers have been at games fairly consistently and have been making an impact.
By Jonathan Carone
There were a couple groups trying to get started up at the end of last semester. I'm hoping they came together under the one name.

I hope they take the time to get organized through the school too. It's a little tedious, but if they can become an official club, there's some money from SGA they can get for t-shirts and other things. We did a membership fee + SGA money and had shirts, tailgates, sign materials, and anything we needed.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't mind there being 2 or 3 different groups but they do need to work together for the common good of making a great game day atmosphere. We all know that the Vines can be one of the loudest buildings in the country. I remember the Big South championship game in '04 and my ears were ringing after that game and it was a blow out. Of course it isn't going to be that loud every game but the point is it can get very, very loud.

Seems like there are some good people with good intentions. I hope it works out. This team deserves it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am not for anybody banning what McCracken does...I just would hope his peers can help channel that energy in a more effective way.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
FlamesRise wrote:This team has the quality of a tournament team! but do the students even realize this? What can be done to get students at games and actually be loud college sports fans the whole time? :dontgetit
Get rid of mccracken and I'll come. :lol:
By FlamesRise
If McCracken got rid of the screech do you guys think that would have a serious positive impact on fan attendance?
By Class of 20Something
SumItUp wrote:Yes
I think there are more productive ways for him to help. He isn't an idiot, he could get into the administrative side of athletic supporters sections.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
The female screecher/student at Northwestern was silenced by the university per what has been posted here. Maybe she and McCracken should meet up on screechers.com and share life together. Just a thought. Or we can petition the school to have McCracken don a Sparky suit and practice being a mime. Another thought. I'll stop now.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I block McCracken out. He doesn't bother me. Now if I could find a way to block out PA system during time outs .or at least lower volume.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Maybe McCracken can be your blocker. Have him sit next to you and screech during those things you don’t like.
By Lion1983
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

We used to have a group of fans called the lUNAtics. That's kinda funny that yall have one too. Ours kinda disappeared as time went on for some reason.

We are having a student participation problem as well. We are hovering around the 1k mark to basketball games, but only about 40-50 students have been showing up, or at least sitting in the student section. But we have not had but 3 D1 home games, so that may have something to do with it.

I imagine, after we get settled in throughout the transition and when we start winning more, that will change.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
FlamesRise wrote:If McCracken got rid of the screech do you guys think that would have a serious positive impact on fan attendance?
Yes.
LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]