If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

So we all know that we have seen some major progress since Ritchie McKay has been hired. The team has improved it's record practically every year he's been here, but I wanted to provide a ranking based on ESPN's BPI, because record isn't everything.

If you're not familiar with BPI, it's essentially ESPN's computer Power Rankings that they use to help predict percentages of a team winning any particular game. From what I have seen it's been a pretty solid predictor. So I went back and looked at Liberty's BPI for each of the years McKay has been here vs. Layer's last year. Here are the results:

Year - BPI
2018-2019 - 59
2017-2018 - 130
2016-2017 - 206
2015-2016 - 293
2014-2015 - 327 -Layer's last year

That's an average improvement of 67 slots a year! That's astonishing progress, and very consistent as well. Also, our record was 8-24 the last year that Layer was here with a SOS of 349! That's almost dead last in SOS and we only won 8 games...

We certainly haven't played the most rigorous schedule this year, as our SOS sits at 312, but that being said we've already eclipsed the number of wins Layer had in his final season at Liberty after only 11 games played.

Here's the crazy part. The BPI projects Liberty's chance of getting to the round of 32 at 22.7%. They project a 6.9% of Sweet 16 and 2.5% chance of Elite 8! See the link below for details:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ent/page/3

My question is, are the fans noticing? What will it take for Liberty to get some butts in the seats at the Vines? Will it take a win at Alabama? Even more, will it take a win at UCLA? How about an NCAA tournament win? How about a Sweet 16?

How about you? What's your opinion? Are the fans noticing what's happening with this program?
We can use the construction as an excuse but Lynchburg hasn't supported this team in the 15 years I have been around LU sports. It makes zero sense, especially with the large conservative Christian population in the region.

I am confident that the students will support the team more after the break. There is a group trying getting together to build a better student section so I am cautiously optimistic that will develop into a decent home court edge.
I get phone calls several times a week from former HCTG encouraging me to come out to a "ball game" but absolutely nothing about basketball. I even got a message about winterfest...I know both of these things are easier to sell to people then mid week basketball games but whatever they have been doing for 15 years hasn't worked.

Part of that is the inconsistency of the program but McKay has brought stability and at this point the support from the community should be much stronger than it is.

Of course the game experience isn't so hot. The food is awful, the bathrooms aren't located in convenient locations and the president of the university doesn't seem to care about basketball so I shouldn't be surprised.
thepostman wrote:I get phone calls several times a week from former HCTG encouraging me to come out to a "ball game" but absolutely nothing about basketball. I even got a message about winterfest...I know both of these things are easier to sell to people then mid week basketball games but whatever they have been doing for 15 years hasn't worked.

Part of that is the inconsistency of the program but McKay has brought stability and at this point the support from the community should be much stronger than it is.

Of course the game experience isn't so hot. The food is awful, the bathrooms aren't located in convenient locations and the president of the university doesn't seem to care about basketball so I shouldn't be surprised.
What makes it stranger to me is that JLFJR is so lukewarm to basketball is that he is 6´3¨and actually played at LCA and was not awful. I remember Doc bragging that his son could dunk. :oldhag
Last edited by olldflame on December 16th, 2018, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Carone wrote:We could set the world on fire this year and we likely wouldn’t have great attendance. The construction on the arena makes it more difficult to get to the game and makes the in Vines experience worse than normal.
For those that haven't been to a game yet this year, this is a very valid point. The construction makes it borderline miserable trying to get to the Vines.
oldflame wrote:
thepostman wrote:I get phone calls several times a week from former HCTG encouraging me to come out to a "ball game" but absolutely nothing about basketball. I even got a message about winterfest...I know both of these things are easier to sell to people then mid week basketball games but whatever they have been doing for 15 years hasn't worked.

What makes it stranger to me is that JLFJR is so lukewarm to basketball is that he is 6´3¨and actually played at LCA and was not awful. I remember Doc bragging that his son could dunk. :oldhag
hahaha, that must've been before my time! I can see Doc as being the kind of dad who brags about his kids and in doing so exaggerates everything... :lol:

Man, I miss that guy being around the mountain.
A Sea of Red wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The construction on the arena makes it more difficult to get to the game and makes the in Vines experience worse than normal.
The construction makes it borderline miserable trying to get to the Vines.
With all due respect, I would disagree. I've been to just about every LU home game this year, and LU runs a "basketball shuttle" BUS to and from the parking lots and parking garage to pick you up and and to drop you off in front of the Vines Center for FREE, which is pretty amazing!
Last edited by Cider Jim on December 16th, 2018, 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Obviously the construction is an issue but the marketing has always been second rate when it comes to the Men's basketball team. Plenty of people give valid reasons as to why this is but when it comes down to it this is the team that deserves it the most and I can't even imagine missing out on watching this team if I lived in the L-burg area...
ballcoach15 wrote:Lack of parking hurts attendance, also need to improve marketing out to a 50 mile radius of Lynchburg. Plus get some bigger name schools to come to Vines Center.
Taking a moment to agree and disagree with this statement. Yes, big names would be absolutely awesome and help attendance; however, one of my favorite memories was the crowd against Radford during the McKay 1.0/Curry era. Hands down one of the craziest games I've been to, and it's not like Radford was a big name or brought many of their own fans.
Cider Jim wrote:
A Sea of Red wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The construction on the arena makes it more difficult to get to the game and makes the in Vines experience worse than normal.
The construction makes it borderline miserable trying to get to the Vines.
With all due respect, I would disagree. I've been to just about every LU home game this year, and LU runs a "basketball shuttle" BUS to and from the parking lots and parking garage to pick you up and and to drop you off in front of the Vines Center for FREE, which is pretty amazing!
I don’t think you’re a snapshot of the typical fan. Typical Liberty fans think they should be able to park by the door and get in free.
And that is the problem...LU has shot them in the foot when for years they just gave away tickets.

Look at how our very own ballcoach just brags about how he never pays to get into events. That should not be a thing and it devalues what we are trying to build as an athletic dept.

This is something that gets me ranting very quickly. I could have very easily gotten a free ticket when I went to the ODU game this past year but chose to pay money. It is important and will help build our programs.

Ok, rant over.
Ballcoach gets in FREE to LU football games because he WORKS them.
thepostman wrote:He works them? Please educate me...
He puts his MP skills to use as an usher.

But yeah, LU still has an underpinning of people waiting till they get free tickets. Think of the last two football games. Think of the capacity of the Vines center. Try NOT to think about the quality of concessions :lol:
In the past i got the non d1 games but we should play 2 at most. No idea why they wont pony up money for a home game or 2 more with d1s. Nobody is going to go the non d1s and almost the meacs because its just a beatdown. Thats a compliment to mckay in that we expect to utterly clobber those schools.

Ga state had an excellent atmosphere yet half of the people probably didnt know just how big of a game that is.

I would love to see us get non conference games with the other in state mid majors. Would make much better and weve played most all of them in the past 10 years or so especially william and mary and richmond.
I understand that but you know we have trouble getting quality home games. We always have. My point is that the way we throw money around at football we could throw $50k or $100k around and get lots of nice mid majors to come or at least do home and homes with them besides the traditional way like we have with GA State and will be doing with Navy.

We could easily replace that last non D1 with a VMI, William & Mary or somebody like that who we should beat and they will bring a few fans with them as well.
JK37 wrote:I simply disagree. LU isn’t that program yet. Wins. Wins. Wins. That’s all it’s about.

A VMI or W&M could take that check and just get lucky enough to win. No need to risk it. A Home-Home with either one is fine.
How is the team suppose to improve if you’re playing teams that wouldn’t be a tough challenge. A win against a NCCAA or NAIA has no value for a D1 school. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t play one of the schools in one of those organizations, but 2 or more? We really need to step up our schedule, which I’ve seen this season. I understand that we want to help those schools out, but not two or more a season.
Some statistics

After doing some checking, I discovered that in […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]