If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
All i see on twitter is complaining about the officiating. Sure i saw 3 or 4 ticky tack fouls but a lot of them looked legit to me. Plus bama missed a slew of free throws.

Were going to have a good year but i cant see us doing any damage in ncaa if we make it. We have 3 games against larger conference teams to sample and its consistenly 10 pt plus loss against 3 average teams. Just cant play d well enough or rebound well enough against those type teams.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:I just think the nature of our defensive system relies on you not being totally mismatched in size and athleticism. When we play P5’s that rears it’s head.
This

Ritchie needs to switch things up when we come up against a bigger team.

UCLA is going to be the biggest team we face and after what I witness against the P5 schools we played, we might lose by 20+
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. Help is on the way. I think all 3 signees are more of what we need. Size and athleticism.

Were better but its incremental improvement each year. I was hoping we could skip one step ha.
I know I sound like the whine and cheese crowd, but when an opposing team gets to take 22 more free throws than the other team that is a problem. If we were a terrible defensive team that played hack ball then I would get it. However, we are a solid defensive team that has gotten better every year with the pack-line defense. The only problem with the pack-line is when an officiating crew wants to call ticky-tack stuff.

I am a BAMA fan through and through, but tonight the officials helped them a little bit. I am sure it was not intentional, but man the worst officiated game I have seen this year in college basketball.
By OneHope
Credit due to Bama for their win but the quick whistles weighing heavily against LU made this one hard. You could see the frustration on the faces of our guys. Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes and thee were plenty on our part for sure ...we are due for a big time win! It will come.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Ticky tacky fouls should not be called. There's going to be some contact . If it doesn't affect play, don't call it
Who decides if it affects play :dontgetit
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
I planned on going to this game but my daughter was in a Christmas program. I'm a Tuscaloosa native and been an Alabama fan for as far back as I can remember. I live in North Alabama now and plan on attending the UNA game later this season.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:A "touch foul" that doesn't impede movement of player, doesn't affect play.
Who decides what a touch foul is and whether or not that touch impedes or affects play? It doesn’t always take a lot of contact to affect a play
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
LU plays a very physical brand of defensive basketball which is going to result in more fouls being called.

With that said, I do think the refs were much quicker to blow their whistles last night and it really made the game tough to watch. Part of the sport is adjusting to the way refs are calling a game and for us to go from being a good team to a great team we will need to start doing that.

Someone mentioned the size as well and that can not be overstated enough. McKay will have to look at making some adjustments when we play these larger teams. It will be interesting to see if any adjustments are made when we play UCLA.

A-Sun teams are going to have a hard time beating this team. The only goal that matters at this stage of development is winning a conference championship.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:LU plays a very physical brand of defensive basketball which is going to result in more fouls being called.

With that said, I do think the refs were much quicker to blow their whistles last night and it really made the game tough to watch. Part of the sport is adjusting to the way refs are calling a game and for us to go from being a good team to a great team we will need to start doing that.

Someone mentioned the size as well and that can not be overstated enough. McKay will have to look at making some adjustments when we play these larger teams. It will be interesting to see if any adjustments are made when we play UCLA.

A-Sun teams are going to have a hard time beating this team. The only goal that matters at this stage of development is winning a conference championship.
I appreciate your comments; it sounded like there was an overabundance of whistles that didn't go our way. I question the mention of size. I don't think of our team as particularly small, but adjusting is key. We did manhandle a team that beat Alabama recently. GA State might have been a bit larger with a bit more athleticism, but the team adjusted and hit their shots. Is it incorrect to assume that we should be able to do the same against Alabama? Just looking at their record, they don't seem to be anything too special. Wonder how they'll match up to Vandy.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Physical defense vs. Quicker opposing team than usual. More fouls are going to be called more quickly, because fouls are happening more quickly, because opposing players are simply beating LU players to spots.

I thought the game was well-officiated. LU looked unready for the speed of many Alabama players’ first steps.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Physical defense vs. Quicker opposing team than usual. More fouls are going to be called more quickly, because fouls are happening more quickly, because opposing players are simply beating LU players to spots.

I thought the game was well-officiated. LU looked unready for the speed of many Alabama players’ first steps.
Did,'t watch and only listened closely at the end. By then, we seemed to be sticking with them, though we missed quite a few open looks.

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]