If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

ballcoach15 wrote:I saw the latest Jeff Sargin Ratings this morning. He has Liberty at 111. I don't think he knows much about basketball.
You not know basketball either.
Just like the RPI, the NET was never claimed to be a be-all/end-all ranking system. Computers cannot account for injuries, suspensions, etc. So there still must be a human element (committee) to ensure the best possible group of teams are selected In the desired combination of auto and at-large bids.

BC, I’m sure you’ve watched two softball team at some point in your career and thought the lower-rated team was “better”. That’s all this is. The NET is one of MANY tools the committee uses. So you can’t use just one tool like the NET to say NC State is better than St. John’s.
True, I think most every team needs to also pass the "eye test". But between NC St. and St. Johns, there was a 40 point gap. That's a lot of teams between 33 and 73. I think committee did not want another ACC team in the field, but wanted another "northern team" in.
Saint John's is in a major media market.

Don't overthink it.
ballcoach15 wrote:No team should make tournament based on "media market".

Boiling Springs, NC isn't a big media market, but if G Webb can upset UVA, the Runnin Bulldogs will have more fans than St Johns.
Your first comment is spot-on.

Your second one is pure foolishness.
ballcoach15 wrote:Would someone please describe in greater detail the difference between "fan" and "supporter". I have always thought both were the same.
From Wikipedia:
"Merriam-Webster, the Oxford dictionary and other sources define "fan" as a shortened version of the word fanatic. Fanatic itself, introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". It comes from the Modern Latin fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired". The word originally pertained to a temple or sacred place [Latin fanum, poetic English fane]. The modern sense of "extremely zealous" dates from around 1647; the use of fanatic as a noun dates from 1650. However, the term "fancy" for an intense liking of something (a usage attested by 1545[1]), while being of a different etymology, coincidentally carries a less intense but somewhat similar connotation to "fanatic". Use of "the fancy" to mean avid sports enthusiasts emerged as an Americanism in the mid-19th C.[2] The Dickson Baseball Dictionary cites William Henry Nugent's work asserting that it was derived from the fancy, a term referring to the fans of a specific hobby or sport from the early 18th century to the 19th, especially to the followers of boxing.[3] According to that theory, it was originally shortened to fance then just to the homonym fans.[not in citation given] The Great American Baseball Scrapbook attributes the term to Chris Von der Ahe, owner of the Saint Louis Brown Stockings in 1882. Von der Ahe sold tickets for 25 cents, hoping the many patrons would purchase his beer; the low ticket price helped him lead the stats in attendance. He called the fanatics filling his stands "fans". " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_(person)

I would say the key term in the definition of a fan that differentiates it from a "supporter" would be "uncritical devotion". It's what we like to call drinking the Kool-Aid. Personally, I embrace the term fan, even though I reserve the right to criticize when I believe it is merited. Defining your relationship with a team by another term such as "supporter" is IMHO a way of leaving yourself an out to dump them if you don't like the way things are going.
I'd say a fan goes out of their way to always support the team. They move their schedule around to accommodate games. They spend their extra money and vacation to go to games.

A supporter likes the team, enjoys the community around it but their life isn't terribly impacted by the day to day details or results. If it's convenient, they'll go to a game but they're not going to go out of their way most of the time.
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'd say a fan goes out of their way to always support the team. They move their schedule around to accommodate games. They spend their extra money and vacation to go to games.

A supporter likes the team, enjoys the community around it but their life isn't terribly impacted by the day to day details or results. If it's convenient, they'll go to a game but they're not going to go out of their way most of the time.
Well that eliminates some on this board.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]