If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Savannah State University
Savannah, Georgia

SSU Hoops Official Site

Horace Broadnax
13th Season as SSU Head Coach

2018-2019 Schedule/Results
  • NOV 07 - @ TEXAS A&M .......................................... L, 83-98
    NOV 09 - @ GEORGIA .............................................. L, 76-110
    NOV 11 - MIDDLE GEORGIA STATE ......................... W, 105-95
    NOV 13 - TENNESSEE TECH .................................... W, 97-83
    NOV 16 - GARDNER-WEBB ...................................... L, 77-97
    NOV 20 - @ KENT STATE ......................................... L, 84-104
    NOV 24 - vs. ALCORN STATE in LYNCHBURG .......... W, 80-75
    NOV 25 - @ LIBERTY ............................................... 2:00 PM

Key Player
    #3 Zach Sellers
    6' 1" 175 lbs Junior Guard
    Thru 7 Games: Averaging 12.6 Pts, 5.1 Rebs & 5.0 Assists + 29-of-80 (36.3%) on 3-Pt Attempts
Our shots look good but are not falling. Our effort is terrible today and it seems like our players have lost that edge or chip on their shoulders they played with last year. I don't like it. I don't think we are mentally tough yet. We could still be a great team this season but right now I don't think we are ready to make the next step yet.
they aren't playing with an edge? They have been playing very sound on both sides of the floor. I am not sure what team you are watching.

Sometimes they go a bit cold on the offensive end but they continue to move the ball and make the extra pass and those shots will start falling as we have seen in the 2nd half today.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:they aren't playing with an edge? They have been playing very sound on both sides of the floor. I am not sure what team you are watching.

Sometimes they go a bit cold on the offensive end but they continue to move the ball and make the extra pass and those shots will start falling as we have seen in the 2nd half today.
Agree. It almost seems like they play without an edge because they consistently play with discipline. Sometimes it's robotic, and other times it's beautiful to watch. I like this team more than any other team I've seen at LU.
yeah it is a very methodical system on both sides of the floor. I guess one could confuse that with not playing with an edge but I don't think so.

They make very few mistakes . Their flaws are sometimes they go a bit cold shooting and allowing too many offensive rebounds but the rebounding has been getting better
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Our shots look good but are not falling. Our effort is terrible today and it seems like our players have lost that edge or chip on their shoulders they played with last year. I don't like it. I don't think we are mentally tough yet. We could still be a great team this season but right now I don't think we are ready to make the next step yet.

I have absolutely no idea where you are coming from on that take. IMHO this team has been everything we could have asked for as fans to this point.
oldflame wrote:
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Our shots look good but are not falling. Our effort is terrible today and it seems like our players have lost that edge or chip on their shoulders they played with last year. I don't like it. I don't think we are mentally tough yet. We could still be a great team this season but right now I don't think we are ready to make the next step yet.

I have absolutely no idea where you are coming from on that take. IMHO this team has been everything we could have asked for as fans to this point.
Upon rereading this came across stronger than I meant it. It was written before we pulled it together mid 2nd half. I am not worried about our shooting because we are taking good shots and they will eventually fall. What I mean by edge is that when we struggle it is not a talent gap or failure to understand where we need to be or go with the ball. Our passing shows that. It is in the mental side, the focus side. The lazy passes. The failure to lock in on D. Even our shooting woes is mental. Our free throw percentage is down although we were phenomenal last year so a drop off is to be expected. I feel like we are still trying to find our identity as a team and in different combinations on the floor. There were games last year where it felt like we willed ourselves to win. Kept fighting. Rebounding is a frustration and I know it is partly our system bit if our shots are not falling at least crash the boards. When we starting driving and getting aggressive in the 2nd half game opened up quickly. Some guys have started the season really strong. Others have looked uncomfortable out there. Edge is focus and with a pinch of nasty. Of course I grew up a bad boys (pistons) fan and Indiana basketball in the Bobby Knight era so my perspective might be slightly skewed.

I am not complaining about the direction of the program or even disputing this can be one of the better teams in our history. As someone else said we will find out what we truly habe over the next few weeks. Conference is going to go down to us, Libscomb and possibly NJIT. I have been watching a lot of Asun games so far and it is not a very balanced league this year.
I see what you're saying. They do get down on themselves a bit when their shots aren't falling but that is where Ritchie comes in and he does a great job at calling a timely timeout and calming his team down a bit and they typically respond. Which isn't always the case for teams so it speaks volumes of RM's connection with this team.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]