If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
I have an opposite view about the theory below on closing a thread two days after a game. The logic was that someone who only comes on the board every few days would be confused. I would think that would actually be a reason to keep them open. If I only get to come on every few days, I might have something to add to a game thread but it would already be locked. Two days doesn't seem like much time at all.

Is this really a huge problem? I can't see that it is and the negatives might out weigh the positives. To be honest, I don't think many people worry all that much about the policing of threads. Just seems like an "if it ain't broke..."

Let me add an example... on the hockey thread I posted that we had the audio archive up of the Duke and IUP games. Since it can take a couple days to get the file from the board op and online if the thread was locked I would have had to start a whole new thread just to say one line. Seems like more clutter as opposed to making things better. Please don't take this the wrong way but it seems like everyone is overly territorial when it comes to the threads and this message board. I understand there has to be rules but it shouldn't feel like a government bureaucracy. It should be a fun place to share ideas... even if the ideas may happen to come three days after a game.
Last edited by fsn32 on February 9th, 2006, 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
The only problem is when we're going to have 10 different conversations going and your having to check each thread to keep up with them rather than...if you have something to say about the Coach or Players then carry it to an outside thread rather than having a Game #20 thread where we're talking about our favorite deodorant...

How about this, the game threads wont close until the next game...I mean after another game has passed what is there left to discuss about games that took place a week ago...Sly and I were just brain storming to try and figure out a way to clean it up some and make it more user friendly...but input is certainly allowed and nothing is permanent, if people think it makes it harder for the user then we'll reverse it...
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The concept is more to try and push things along off of game threads and into new topic-oriented threads. Most of the ongoing sagas at the tail end of game threads would be more suited in new, clean threads with appropriate titles.

But I do see your side of things.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
You guys are quick... I edited to add an example into my first post and there were already two responses.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Sorry for the government bureaucracy line... I've been watching too much Hardball.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
I'm with FSN... I can't see the point. When you log in... it tells you what is new... If I don't want to read a thread I don't have to... It's my choice...

I'm not an NHL fan or cheerleader fan or golf, or women's tennis... but I quickly scan each of those areas anyway... no big deal to me...

I can't blame posters for me wasting my time reading stuff I don't want to read... in addition I'd say that I wouldn't want to stop discussion simply because of my checking only every few days. The idea is that this is an ongoing conversation among friends... if people want to read... cool... if they don't... cool... but why shut down conversation??? I can't see that I understand where we're going with this... Most threads die a natural death... I don't know why we need to kill them as long as they are above board in respect and conversation is ongoing... Just my thoughts...

** I was on the phone and didn't see the above before posting... ohh well... I'll leave it as is... **
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Right, but that's kind of our point Tally...when you log on and it tells you the latest posts and you see Game #20 you'll click on it but only to find that it's become a rabbit trail and now off on something other than game #20...the point is so after a few games you dont log on and see this:

Game #20 page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Game #7 page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Game etc etc etc

we dont know what they are talking about and you have to go to the last page to see b/c it's no longer about the game b/c that was covered during the first 2 pages only....like we said trial and error and we'll see where it leads us
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Again... I just think we are worrying about things for the sake of worrying... I can't imagine many people were thinking "this is a huge problem" but I'll shut up and see what everyone else thinks.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
I agree with FSN, game threads shouldn't have a timetable on them espically if it was a close game and alot of people want to talk about it so be it let them go with it. As stated before people can choose what they want to read... I think 2 days is definitely not enough time... If something needs to be deleted then delete but don't lock the thread... just my 2 cents and now I am off to bed...
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
just a thought here- if a thread starts to veer off course- move the posts that aren't following the original point of the thread off to another, more applicable thread.

I believe SLY has done that in the past if there is a redundant posting or duplicate threads.

it depends on the capabilities of the moderator I suppose.

JMHO (PA-notice I don't lock down threads- Medic) :D
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
As I stated over in the womens hoops forum, I have decided to rescind our thread locking policy for the time being. All the locked threads have been unlocked. The last thing we intended when we made the decision was to create a negative attitude on this board. So we have answered the pleas of the posters.

Now what I ask in return is that if a game thread begins going off on tangents well after the games have been completed, please make an effort to take the tangent topic into a new thread. I'm not trying to be heavyhanded, just asking you guys to keep the board as streamlined as possible.

So are we all cool now? I hope so. This controversy is something I would've rather not endured.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
appreciate the quick response SLY, thanks
By Thelaxman
Wow! I have not been keeping up with Hoops but it looks like it is going to finish as a hard season.

The thing I want to say is I think we all knew this was a rebuilding season and right now we just need to give the Coach and the program our full support. Give it a little time before we start hanging the Coaching staff and the Athletic Dept.

Keep the faith,

Thelaxman
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Give it a little time before we start hanging the Coaching staff and the Athletic Dept.
Been there, done that, already this year.

1st 5 had 13 of the 14 hits.

2024 Season Thread

I wish. DBU is a bit of a haul even from my locati[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Group of Five schools to unveil all-new Top 25 As […]

Field Hockey

Oh I agree, I was just out of the loop.