If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Jonathan Carone wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Two newcomers saw a lot of playing time--Keenan Gumbs (grad transfer) and Darius McGhee (freshman)--but I don't think our other 3 freshmen ever got into the game: Newton, Price, and Preston.
Price is redshirting.
No surprise there. He is in the middle of a growth spurt similar to his brother Hudson, who shot up from 6´1¨ to 6´7¨ between the end of his HS JR year and the beginning of his SO year of college. He can use the year to catch up with his growth.
Last edited by olldflame on November 5th, 2018, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ballcoach15 wrote:I have a question for the basketball gurus:

Why do many, if not most teams fail to "crash offensive boards" ? They just release back on defense once shot is in the air. I noticed yesterday, when we shot ball, everyone other than shooter, were across mid court when ball hit rim or went thru net. On one shot, all 5 players were at mid court when ball hit rim.
You ask this every year and you get the same answer It’s a philosophical decision. Michigan St for instance sends everyone to the boards. UVA does not. The 2 reasons not to send everyone would be 1- you run a greater risk of collecting a foul than a rebound 2- the pace of the game means that if you only have one back you are going to be giving up a lot of fast break points.
OneHope wrote:First Liberty Basketball game for me...my daughter is going to LU next fall so we’ve been on campus quite a bit this Fall.. We really enjoyed the game (didn’t have to get any concession but it sounds like a mess. Liked what I did see of the team enough to get season tickets. So I’m all in on this season!
We love hearing more folks join in our enthusiasm!

I am a bit surprised that BN didn't see the floor for whatever reason. But it is just a scrimmage and a chance for our guys to develop a rhythm.
Purple Haize wrote:

Why do many, if not most teams fail to "crash offensive boards" ? They just release back on defense once shot is in the air. I noticed yesterday, when we shot ball, everyone other than shooter, were across mid court when ball hit rim or went thru net. On one shot, all 5 players were at mid court when ball hit rim.
You ask this every year and you get the same answer It’s a philosophical decision. Michigan St for instance sends everyone to the boards. UVA does not. The 2 reasons not to send everyone would be 1- you run a greater risk of collecting a foul than a rebound 2- the pace of the game means that if you only have one back you are going to be giving up a lot of fast break points.
I am getting old and cannot remember one year to the next. But that is a good answer. When I coached back in the day, I would always release the 2 guards, and have other 3 players crash the boards.
By LUDad
ballcoach15 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

I am getting old and cannot remember one year to the next. But that is a good answer. When I coached back in the day, I would always release the 2 guards, and have other 3 players crash the boards.
To me, the packline defense is b'ball's defensive version of the triple option. It can even the playing field against a more talented team. By playing deliberate, it can take the other team out of their game and frustrate them. Allowing them fast beaks goes against the grain. James is the exception, he as a knack of hanging back and stealing rebounds.
LUDad wrote:
To me, the packline defense is b'ball's defensive version of the triple option. It can even the playing field against a more talented team. By playing deliberate, it can take the other team out of their game and frustrate them. Allowing them fast beaks goes against the grain. James is the exception, he as a knack of hanging back and stealing rebounds.
I would equate it more with the Tampa-2. But I like comparing it to football schemes.
I did not attend the game but two things stand out from what I have read in this thread (1) we got out rebounded by significent margin (2) bad shooting percentgage. Without seeing the game, I would imagine these two things go hand in hand. Our rebounds come on the defensive end of court. We shoot good, we limit rebounds to opposing team and control game. We shoot poorly we conceed too many rebounds and shot opportunties to opposing team. A major key to LU win against good teams is good shooting percentage.
jinxy wrote:Shooting percentage was fine outside of first 6 min of 2nd half. Just got and took open 3s every possession. Missed almost all of them.
I'm not going to knock taking open threes. If you have the look. Take it.

If decision making is fine then it sounds like rebounding is our only issue.
JK37 wrote:Ritchie’s teams aren’t big rebounding teams. That’s strategic.
Which is what I explained to ballcoach. But some people want everything. They want all5 people to crash the offensive boards AND get back and stop the fast break at the same time. Somewhere there is a ceiling that needs stated at :lol:
All 9 in rotation can make the 3. Bell looked great yesterday.

Shooting wise, im fine withh taking the good looks but if they arent falling then we need to attack basket more. We have the pieces to do so this year.
Purple Haize wrote:
Which is what I explained to ballcoach. But some people want everything. They want all5 people to crash the offensive boards AND get back and stop the fast break at the same time. Somewhere there is a ceiling that needs stated at :lol:
Well, we still got beaten on breaks, particularly in the last 5 minutes. They seemed to kill our D by driving into the paint before we set up, then kicking it out or getting the foul. They are a bit more athletic, in my opinion. The only thing that bothered me was the insistence on going outside- miss after miss after miss.
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Well, we still got beaten on breaks, particularly in the last 5 minutes. They seemed to kill our D by driving into the paint before we set up, then kicking it out or getting the foul. They are a bit more athletic, in my opinion. The only thing that bothered me was the insistence on going outside- miss after miss after miss.
I didn’t see the game. I would concur though based on previous seasons that Tech would be more athletic
What makes this type of offense go, really any offense but this one in particular, is having one or two guys who can create when the shot clock is down. That’s what stepped UVA up to another level. They started getting one or two of those kids
Had not been to a basketball game in a long time, but have kept up with the team since Coach McKay has been back. I was generally impressed with the competitiveness. Scottie James more than held his own with Blackshear and Cuffee was very solid. I also really liked McGhee. He is an explosive player. It was pretty cool to see our guys beating Tech down the floor in transition (EDIT: in the first half - we got kind of worn down in the second half and Robinson took over for them).

My guess is that Buzz jumped on his guys pretty hard because their defensive intensity was much higher after the break. We seemed to be a little too willing to settle for 3s in the second half. Coach McKay will have to find a way to compete better on the boards. Maybe Newton can help more down the line?

Interestingly, I found the Vines to be about the same as I remember it back in the 90's which was surprising given all of the other upgrades on campus. Bathrooms are cramped and concessions severely lacking. I am sure the new arena will be top notch.

Anyway, I am pretty excited about this season. Coach McKay has moved the program forward leaps and bounds and I agree that we have a chance to win the ASUN.
JK37 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:On paper, VT is probably better than anyone we will play this season.
No, UCLA is.
Their coach certainly has the best hair of any LU plays :D
ballcoach15 wrote:On paper, VT is probably better than anyone we will play this season. I like our chances to win ASUN.
And we were leading at the half. :shock: As I told a friend, if we can hang this close with Tech, we should do fine in the ASUN.
LU 57 wrote: We seemed to be a little too willing to settle for 3s in the second half. Coach McKay will have to find a way to compete better on the boards.
This is McKay basketball. Both things are strategic and related. Maybe the first changes slightly by emphasizing greater patience on offense. But the second isn’t changing anytime soon, IMO. And that’s okay.

The way the game is being played today, with analytics that have revealed a much greater value in the 3 ball than people realized even ten years ago, progressive coaches will tolerate a few more 3’s. This leads to longer rebounds, which decreases the need for the “hard” crash (inside 10’) and increases the need for effective and loaded transition defense.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]