If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Who ya got?

Larry Blair
36%
Jesse Sanders
64%
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I have admitted in the past I'm biased so obviously I said Larry Blair but they both should get in.

I think Larry was more talented but I think Jesse was the better leader. Both are without a doubt HOF worthy.

Since Larry came first he gets in first. Simple as that.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It´s a push IMHO as to who had the better career at Liberty. They both belong in the HOF, and with the backlog of :oldhag pretty much all now in, I suspect will be the next 2 MBB players inducted. Larry should get in first because he has been waiting 4 years longer.
By Jonathan Carone
I think we can all agree they're both hall of fame worthy. But it's summer time. You have to pick one to lead your team. Who ya got?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Sorry, for some reason I read HOF into your original question.

I would take Larry. He skill set is tough to find, especially at our level and if he had been coached better we would of seen much better results after his freshman year.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Jesse would get the edge in my book due to his all around basketball skills on both the offensive and defensive side of the floor. What you look for in a point guard is found in the game of Jesse Sanders. This is not to take anything away from Larry Blair who was an incredible talent for our Men's team.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I picked Jesse just because I saw a lot more of him. LB played during my dry spell of following LU athletics. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I loved Jesse's skill set and even more his attitude and effort.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Tell us why.
For.....

I think they play 2 different styles.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Jesse was a leader, started all 4 years, had both an inside and outside game, played professionally overseas for a number of years, and has returned to LU often after graduation to mentor the current LU teams.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Because RM and DL didn't attempt to burn bridges for their players like LB's coach. I don't think it's completely fair to put all the blame on RD but a lot of it should be on his shoulders.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:One of the guys is a homeschooler from Houston. What do you think?
You're right. I admire him even more for overcoming such adversity! :lol:
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
LB all day if I need a game winning shot in the end of the game.
But if we are talking a full game and scope of influence on that game I'd go with Jesse.
By walksports
I actually witnessed, covering Texas private and parochial high school athletics, HCYA in its infancy years before the Sanders boys played.

HCYA (Homeschool Christian Youth Association) honestly experienced no adversity. They - and FEAST out of San Antonio - were two of the first, yet most respected homeschool athletic programs in Texas in the early 1990s.

I personally was at a basketball tournament that HCYA was in where the team that they were playing started the game with five, but were down to three by the end of the third quarter. To start the fourth quarter, Jesse's dad, Tom, who coached the team, sent out three players to go on three-on-three. The high school writer for the Houston Chronicle led his weekly column afterwards crediting the program about teaching sportsmanship.

Tom earned and had the respect of both public and private school coaches and they were never associated with some of the negative attention that non-traditional high school athletics teams and programs receive.

Just an observation. I would add that I think that HCYA paved the way for programs like SATCH, where Kemrite came from, to be more readily accepted by other private and parochial school as well as public schools.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
walksports wrote:I actually witnessed, covering Texas private and parochial high school athletics, HCYA in its infancy years before the Sanders boys played.

HCYA (Homeschool Christian Youth Association) honestly experienced no adversity. They - and FEAST out of San Antonio - were two of the first, yet most respected homeschool athletic programs in Texas in the early 1990s.

I personally was at a basketball tournament that HCYA was in where the team that they were playing started the game with five, but were down to three by the end of the third quarter. To start the fourth quarter, Jesse's dad, Tom, who coached the team, sent out three players to go on three-on-three. The high school writer for the Houston Chronicle led his weekly column afterwards crediting the program about teaching sportsmanship.

Tom earned and had the respect of both public and private school coaches and they were never associated with some of the negative attention that non-traditional high school athletics teams and programs receive.

Just an observation. I would add that I think that HCYA paved the way for programs like SATCH, where Kemrite came from, to be more readily accepted by other private and parochial school as well as public schools.
Pretty sure flamehunter´s comment was a joke aimed at Sly, who lives in the Houston area and has a son who has been involved with HCYA.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
walksports wrote:I actually witnessed, covering Texas private and parochial high school athletics, HCYA in its infancy years before the Sanders boys played.

Pretty sure flamehunter´s comment was a joke aimed at Sly, who lives in the Houston area and has a son who has been involved with HCYA.
:nod
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]