If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Obviously, win or lose, we would have liked to end this year with a better performance, but there is much to be proud of, and next year's team will be the most talented and experienced Ritchie has had here. There are 10 players with remaining eligibility on this year's roster.

Guards:
Lovell Cabbil SR
Elijah Cuffee SO
Georgie Pacheco-Ortiz JR

Swings:
Caleb Homesley R-JR
Keegan McDowell SO

Forwards:
Myo Baxter-Bell R-JR
Scottie James R-JR
Ezra Talbert R-SR
Isaiah Williams R-SO

Center:
Brendan Newton R-FR

We have 3 early signees, giving us a full compliment of 13 scholarship players.

Guards:
Darius McGhee
Josh Price

Center/Forward:
Blake Preston

Ezra Talbert I'm sure is graduating (if he hasn't already) and played extremely limited minutes as this season progressed. The addition of Preston, and Newton coming off redshirt, will make PT even harder to come by. He would seem to be in an ideal position to leave as a graduate transfer to go somewhere he can play more. Perhaps join his brother at Central MO. If so, that will leave another scholarship, and Ritchie was seen checking out a local 2018 recruit a few weeks ago, which would seem to confirm that.

One thing we know about coach McKay is that he is not bound by the old 1-5 position formulas. He is going to start the lineup he believes can execute best (especially on defense) and he will mix it up from there. Literally and figuratively, the BIG difference next year will be that he will have 2 legit rim-protectors in Newton and Preston. He will have the option to go really big, with Newton in the middle, Scottie at PF (his natural position) and Homesley, at SF. He can also go with a lineup almost identical to this year's starting 5, with McDowell taking Kemrite's spot.

As far as the new players are concerned, call me a kool-aid drinker, but I do believe Ritchie has been doing an epic sand-bag with Newton, and he is going to make a significant impact. In the exhibition against VCU, the only opportunity we had to get a glimpse of the big guy, he scored 5 points and drew 4 fouls against their post player in 2 minutes, and Ritchie took him out. He wasn't tired, and he certainly wasn't hurting us out there. I think Ritchie just didn't want to "let the cat out of the bag".

McGhee is going to be a blast to watch, His quickness and hops are off the charts, and he can finish at the rim with dunks at 5'9", but he is also an excellent 3 point shooter with a quick release, and should rival Cabbil as our best on-ball defender in the back court.

Blake Preston I have heard is now a long 6'10". He averaged over 11 rebounds and 5 blocks this year, and is probably the most skilled and fundamentally sound offensive post we have had in a long time. He will compete with Newton for minutes in the middle and could also play a little alongside him, but that's not too likely with the other options we have at PF.

Josh Price may end up being a bit of a project, but he was well worth a reach. He is currently in the middle of a growth spurt similar to what his older brother Hudson had, when he went from 6'1" as a HS JR to 6'7" in just a couple of years. Josh was 6'1" last year, and seeing him stand next to his dad, he now looks to be at least 6'4". Unless he absolutely lights it up shooting the ball in early practices, don't be surprised if he redshirts.

While Scottie and Lovell were our best all around players this year, I still think Homesley is the most talented guy we have, and just how good we can be next year could depend on whether he is able to replicate his recovery from his first knee injury, when he showed flashes the first year back and then absolutely exploded early in the second year before injuring the other knee. This was a more serious injury, but it looks like he is on track.

One thing I feel certain of is that overall expectations for next year will be higher than we have seen in a long time, maybe ever. (Closest I can recall was the end of the 97 season before TSHTF.) Of course that brings pressure with it. I'm really hoping the students will buy in and start to provide the kind of crowd support we had last night (and better) on a regular basis.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Oldflame, do you know or have an idea of the local prospect that McKay's looking at?
His name is David Ware, and he got Ritchie's attention when he scored 51 points in a game for Caroline HS. 6"4" guard. there is a thread about him:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25257
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Well, Nova is our national champion, in as dominating a 6 game run as anyone has seen in a long time, and now the college basketball version of "silly season" is in full swing. Most of the HC hires and fires are completed, but there are a boatload of assistant coaching positions to fill, transfer announcements will be flooding in, and Spring signing period is looming ahead.

Close to home, we need to replace Vic Sfera (for now) but a lot could happen which might necessitate another hire. I expect to have one player transfer out, which will open up a scolarship. A grad transfer would be ideal, but signing a FR or just holding onto the schollie for the class of 19 are also options.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Ezra will hardly get pt even with Isiah gone. I’ll be shocked if he stayed. I mean he might stick around but I don’t know why he would to just sit on the bench.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Since he's used his redshirt (at Akron) he only gets to play two more seasons, unless he moves down to DII or NAIA ball, correct? I'm thinking maybe this wasn't his choice.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Ezra will hardly get pt even with Isiah gone. I’ll be shocked if he stayed. I mean he might stick around but I don’t know why he would to just sit on the bench.
With Ezra, it actually may come down to academics. :shock: If he is at least a semester into his masters program at Liberty (which I suspect he is) and things are going well with that, basketball may no longer be as high a priority and he may not want to change. Otherwise, he is a perfect candidate to transfer somewhere he will get to play more.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. Writing was on the wall for him. Besides above he was so limited offensively it would make it tough to play him much.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm wondering if anyone knows the status of Scottie James' younger brother Micah with the team. He very briefly was listed on the roster this year. Had a full profile page and everything, but then it was taken down. He is 6'6" 210 and was listed as a guard. Played HS ball at Amherst and averaged 17ppg and made all conference as a Senior. I'm thinking he is on the scout team now, but I'm not sure. Looking at how much Scottie improved after coming here from Bradley, if Micah has the same work ethic, he could be a contributor down the line.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chris Clemons has declared for the NBA draft, but has not hired an agent. Testing the waters. This may actually make it more likely he will be back at Campbell. I was thinking he might want to transfer.

With McDevitt gone, I will be really surprised if Macio Teague stays at UNCA.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Chris Clemons has declared for the NBA draft, but has not hired an agent. Testing the waters. This may actually make it more likely he will be back at Campbell. I was thinking he might want to transfer.

With McDevitt gone, I will be really surprised if Macio Teague stays at UNCA.
Clemons did the same thing last year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It hasn't been updated yet this morning, but as of this moment, the verbalcommits transfer list is at 356.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2018?division=D1

A couple of interesting possibilities, including Micheal Green, a 3 star PG out of HS, who played a couple of years at Northern AZ and was sitting out his transfer year at Longwood. Transferring again now that Gee has been canned. I believe in these situations the NCAA is normally inclined to let the athlete go to another school and play immediatly.
By cruzan_flame13
olldflame wrote:
A Sea of Red wrote:Ezra Talbert to transfer

http://www.aseaofred.com/ezra-talbert-to-transfer/
Since he is graduating, all options are open to play somewhere next year, but........ I'd say it's better than even money he will end up at D2 Central Missouri. Sure bet to get minutes, and he will finally get to actually play (not just practice) with his brother Josiah.
Doe this mean that we have 2 scholies available? If so, I think they'll try to get a grad transfer like you stated before plus a new member for the staff. The next few weeks will be interesting.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
olldflame wrote:
A Sea of Red wrote:Ezra Talbert to transfer

http://www.aseaofred.com/ezra-talbert-to-transfer/
Since he is graduating, all options are open to play somewhere next year, but........ I'd say it's better than even money he will end up at D2 Central Missouri. Sure bet to get minutes, and he will finally get to actually play (not just practice) with his brother Josiah.
Doe this mean that we have 2 scholies available? If so, I think they'll try to get a grad transfer like you stated before plus a new member for the staff. The next few weeks will be interesting.
Lots to do. Yes, there are now 2 scholarships available, and I'm sure they will be looking to fill at least one of them, hopefully with a grad transfer. One coaching position to fill as I type this, but Sanchez still has the rest of his staff to hire and there is an opening at UVA as well, so it's quite possible we could get poached again.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:We are still working hard to bring in this guy.
I know we have looked at him, but normally "working hard" to bring in a player would involve offering him a scholarship, which thus far has not happened. Now that we have 2 available, I would think that offer will come soon or not at all. I would be shocked if we filled both schollies with HS recruits. At least one will either go to a grad transfer or be held back for 2019.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]