If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:who are we working against? I didnt see any offers.
There are none. He doesn't even have a verbalcommits profile. I think it was mentioned in one of the articles that Campbell has shown interest.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Transfer tally is now at 369 and anticipated to break 1000. 3 schools; Maine, Savannah State and Youngstown State, have 6 players leaving.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star on 3/31/18 wrote:Image

Dew, who led Caroline in scoring and rebounding all three of his varsity seasons, also wants to set an example by succeeding at the college level.

He holds scholarship offers from Division I Liberty University and Division II Virginia Union. The VCU coaching staff is recruiting him heavily but because of a lack of available scholarships, they’ve requested he attends a post-graduate school before enrolling.

Johnson said his phone has lit up recently with text messages from college coaches after Dew scored 18 points last Saturday in the Virginia High School Coaches Association all-star game at University of Virginia–Wise.

Dew said he’s weighing all options, including the post-graduate route.
Click Here for Full Story
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
OK, so there is the offer. This kid does look like one of those talents that for some reason just fly under the radar. Looks like the competition is VCU, who don't have a schollie and want him to prep a year. Our recruiting line...... "we beat them by 16 this year, and you can start your college career NOW."

OK, I see where he is getting interest from other schools after scoring 18 in the State all-star game. Looks like this could be one that goes down to the last few days. Gotta get him on campus ASAP.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
CFAW is this weekend. Play Basketball Study
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:CFAW is this weekend. Play Basketball Study

:rofl :rofl

I believe if I were a coach, CFAW would be the time I would LEAST want to bring in a recruit for a visit.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
OK, so why does no other D1 or even D2 want a guy who averaged 25 points a game. I know Caroline plays in a lower level conference but what do the ACC, SEC, A10, Big East, Big 10 or even Big South know that we don't know.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:OK, so why does no other D1 or even D2 want a guy who averaged 25 points a game. I know Caroline plays in a lower level conference but what do the ACC, SEC, A10, Big East, Big 10 or even Big South know that we don't know.
Or what do we (and VCU) know that THEY don't?

Apparently he is actually getting quite a bit of late interest since scoring 18 in the coach's association all-star game.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Perhaps more impressive than the 25ppg is the 13.5rpg and the fact that apparently he guards the opponents best player, whether it is a PG or a big man. The last guard we signed with similar rebounding numbers turned out to be pretty good. Some kid named Jesse. The more I find out, the more I'm liking this kid. If he has the off court attributes we need, I hope we are going all in on him.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Interesting grad transfer possibility: Larry Austen Jr, a 6'2" PG from Vandy. They have 3 former Flames on staff in Omar Mance, Matt Olinger and Jeremy Anderson, so I would think we would be able to get excellent intel as to whether he would fit in at Liberty. He was a 3 star recruit out of HS, but didn't get a lot of minutes with the Commodores last year.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
We all know who we want as assistant coach (if the price is right).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:We all know who we want as assistant coach (if the price is right).
If you are talking about Mark Price, I really don't think it will be about the $$. He is getting a half mil a year from Charlotte for the next 3 years, and anything he makes if he takes a coaching job will come off of that. It would probably be more about his comfort level being an assistant with his son on the team.

The other person prominently mentioned, Jayson Gee, may not have many options right now after his disastrous tenure at Longwood.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Olldflame, my parenthetical comment was only meant to slyly drop a name; it had nothing to do with salary. Play Basketball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Olldflame, my parenthetical comment was only meant to slyly drop a name; it had nothing to do with salary. Play Basketball
How in the world did I miss that?

:doh :banghead :guntohead
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ware and Gumbs are both long, athletic combo players who should be great in the pack line and give us versatility on offense. Once again the team will be very young, so a mature guy with leadership skills like Gumb would be a great add.

Here is Ware's twitter:

https://twitter.com/IamDewBaby

No red lights at all, and it looks like he would probably fit right in at LU.
Last edited by olldflame on April 9th, 2018, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By cruzan_flame13
olldflame wrote:Ware and Gumb areboth long, athletic combo players who should be great in the pack line and give us versatility on offense. Once again the team will be very young, so a mature guy with leadership skills like Gumb would be a great add.

Here is Ware's twitter:

https://twitter.com/IamDewBaby

No red lights at all, and it looks like he would probably fit right in at LU.
Did you look at the video that was pinned on his profile? :shock: :)
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
It seems we have an over abundance of guards but a lack of frontcourt - 1 JR and 2 FR. There are a slew of big men available via transfer. Pitt has had a fire sale with Jeff Capel being named the new coach there and the firing of Stallings. If we're looking for a defensive presence/rim protector then there's none better than 6'9" Tydus Verhooven from Duquesne who led the A10 in BS this year as a frosh with a high of 9 BS in one game and 71 on the year. LU, as a team, had 44 blocks.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We need to find some walk ons as well. Heard hiepler and hicks are out. Not much lost there but you do need depth to run scout team.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:It seems we have an over abundance of guards but a lack of frontcourt - 1 JR and 2 FR. There are a slew of big men available via transfer. Pitt has had a fire sale with Jeff Capel being named the new coach there and the firing of Stallings. If we're looking for a defensive presence/rim protector then there's none better than 6'9" Tydus Verhooven from Duquesne who led the A10 in BS this year as a frosh with a high of 9 BS in one game and 71 on the year. LU, as a team, had 44 blocks.
We will have 4 bigs; Newton, Preston, Scottie and Myo, plus Caleb, who is 6'6", but plays bigger because of his length. Newton and Preston are both legit rim protectors, which is something Ritchie has not had here til now. He is never going to play more than 2 of those first 4 at a time, and the fact is for a lot of minutes it will only be one. I really don't see the need to bring in more big guys so someone can ride the bench like Talbert did. Really, Williams wasn't playing much either after his suspension. As far as the kid from Duquesne is concerned, when a FR in a conference as good as the A-10 wants to transfer after having a big year like he did, he isn't looking to go to Liberty. It would be like Seth Curry leaving Liberty to transfer to Bethune-Cookman. I would expect to see Verhooven land somewhere in the Big East.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:We need to find some walk ons as well. Heard hiepler and hicks are out. Not much lost there but you do need depth to run scout team.
I think we have Scottie's brother Micah, and I'm sure they will find another scout player or 2 to help out in practice, but you don't need as many when you have a full complement of scholarship players, which we did not have last year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I honestly don't think we are looking for a big man in the transfer "market", but if you want to talk about one who might actually be interested in coming to Liberty, 6'10" Maciej Bender of WVU has announced he is transferring. He was Hansel Atencia's teammate at Mountain Mission School. Really skilled, but apparently not athletic enough to keep up in the Mountaineer's pressing style. Struggled to get minutes there. He would be sit one, play 2.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I saw in the today paper that a Kentucky big man is transferring who played his high school ball in town at VES.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]