If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
rogers3 wrote:Silly question, but will we just switch schedules with USC Upstate?
Good question but i wouldn't think so since we're not the only school joining the A-SUN for 2018-19 year.
By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote:For all intents & purposes, it did turn out to be a swap. Not a very equitable trade, but a trade nonetheless.
True; even Northern Alabama was a better deal for the A-SUN than keeping USC Upstate.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
There's a lot of talk about how bad Upstate is in basketball in this thread..and last year was awful. It was also a season that saw their long time head coach retire 5 weeks before the season started and with other turmoil going on in the athletic department (which led to their AD getting fired less than a year after he got the job). Not saying they are a long term great program (their facility will limit them in that respect), but I think judging them on this latest season is possibly a mistake. They had a four year stretch not that long ago (2012-15) where they finished in the Top 200 in KenPom...that may not sound like much, but the only Big South team to accomplish four straight years of Top 200 KenPom finishes in the last 15 years has been Winthrop (they are on a current four year run...and also did it 2005-08). Asheville has never done it (they are on a 3 year stretch now), Coastal never did it...most Big South teams have never even strung together two such seasons like that over the last 15 years (Liberty, Radford, Campbell, Gardner-Webb, Longwood, PC, and you can even throw VMI in there as well). Of the current ASUN teams, FGCU is on a 6 year run of top 200 finishes and Lipscomb also did 6 straight years in the past (2006-11)...

Will Upstate return to that level? Who knows..they have a new coach (and a new AD), and they are coming off a historically bad season, but their program isn't that far removed from a pretty solid run of decent basketball, so they are probably a safer bet to be at least decent than some other schools in the Big South and ASUN (including a transitional D2 school like North Alabama).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
McKay´s camping season starts Monday, which I believe means most, if not all of the team will be arriving to help out. Summer classes have already started.
By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote:McKay´s camping season starts Monday, which I believe means most, if not all of the team will be arriving to help out. Summer classes have already started.
The camps will be even more beneficial for us when the stadium is here in 2020 Lord willing.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
According to the local paper, Zach Farquhar was awarded another year of eligibility and offered another year of scholarship. Game On even did a short video about it that involved the LUPD:

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:According to the local paper, Zach Farquhar was awarded another year of eligibility and offered another year of scholarship. Game On even did a short video about it that involved the LUPD:

So he gets to celebrate two senior nights for his career. I bet that's a first.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Freshmen have arrived and the whole team is now in town.

The one player missing from the picture is Georgie Pacheco, who was in Lynchburg earlier. I can only speculate he is now with the Puerto Rican national team.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I have no idea why, but strangely enough, after awarding our last schollie for this season to Zack Farquar (complete with video of the elaborate prank they pulled off to inform him posted on twitter), the roster has been updated, and Zack is not on it.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 9&teamID=6

BTW, Georgie must have been unavailable for some reason when the picture I posted earlier was taken. He is with the team, which would seem to indicate he is not going to be involved with team Puerto Rico this summer.

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Great article about Gumbs in today's paper:
Maturity, leadership and all-in-for-the-team disposition were the first things McKay said of Gumbs before adding, “He’s got a utility belt,” referencing the DC Comics character Batman “because [Gumbs] can do a lot of different things.”

...“I played on the wing my whole time at Schreiner,” Gumbs said before Tuesday’s practice. “I was definitely sometimes probably the second tallest dude on the court at times, but for the most part there are some bigger dudes out there, but it’s not like Division I where you’ve got a 6-10 freshman [Blake Preston] and a 7-2 sophomore [Brendan Newton]. It’s not like that. I’m used to playing on the wing. Here we go four guards sometimes, too, so it’s nothing that I’m not used to.”
https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libe ... b70e3.html
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Coming from a D3 program, I was surprised to see how seriously jacked Gumbs is. He definatly likes everyone to know the ¨gun show¨ is in town when his picture is taken. 8) That alone doesn´t mean much except it´s unlikely he will be pushed around, but apparently he has plenty of game to go with it. If Newton and Preston are ready to contribute, this could be the deepest in talent we have ever been.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I attended one of the basketball camps this summer, and Gumbs was always smiling ear to ear. He seems like such a positive force on the team. And, yeah, his "guns" look like Ralph Sampson's in his prime at UVa.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I attended one of the basketball camps this summer, and Gumbs was always smiling ear to ear. He seems like such a positive force on the team. And, yeah, his "guns" look like Ralph Sampson's in his prime at UVa.
When I first heard we were recruiting Keenan, I did a search and found an interview he did which I posted here. You could tell justfrom that he was a smart, funny and articulate young man who was loving life.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Brendan Newton...may have the biggest impact of all of them.
:nod :clapping
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
oldflame wrote:Brendan Newton...may have the biggest impact of all of them.
:nod :clapping
To me he’s the player I’m most interested to watch
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Brendan can be good in a packline defense as a rim protector. Will we be able to hide him in the offense, setting screens, not clogging up the middle, and getting his points on the offensive boards ? I seriously doubt it.

I think he will be a good player, but not this year. Not enough of an impact offensively. Teams already average like 37 points against us, how much of a defensive impact can Brendan make ? Offensively its just not there for him.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Brendan can be good in a packline defense as a rim protector. Will we be able to hide him in the offense, setting screens, not clogging up the middle, and getting his points on the offensive boards ? I seriously doubt it.

I think he will be a good player, but not this year. Not enough of an impact offensively. Teams already average like 37 points against us, how much of a defensive impact can Brendan make ? Offensively its just not there for him.
Tell that to VCU.

Having a rim protector would enable us to play the pack line the way it is actually intended. What we have been doing is somewhat of a modified version. We would not have to help as much on players driving to the hoop, which improves perimeter defense, which is what often killed us last year.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:Brendan can be good in a packline defense as a rim protector. Will we be able to hide him in the offense, setting screens, not clogging up the middle, and getting his points on the offensive boards ? I seriously doubt it.

Unless he's significantly developed, this is where I stand. Coming out of high school, the report I heard from people who saw him up close is that he was a project but could be a contributor as an upperclassman. That'll continue to be my expectation until I see otherwise.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The other 7-footer that verbaled with us who had the Oral Roberts offer, where did he end up going and how did he do his first year? (Sorry, but I can't remember his name).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:The other 7-footer that verbaled with us who had the Oral Roberts offer, where did he end up going and how did he do his first year? (Sorry, but I can't remember his name).
Hayden Koval ended up at Central Arkansas. He started as a Freshman last year and finished 3rd in the nation in blocked shots. He wanted to come to Liberty, but we didn´t have a scholarship for him because we signed Josiah Talbert. Obviously a recruiting mis-judgement.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]