If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Flamesmania wrote:How goes it Liberty fans?! Just an FYI, Dikembe Dixson is no longer with the team as he has left to pursue professional options. Nevertheless the team seems to play better without him. The ball moves around more. Our starting point guard, Tarkus Ferguson missed 9 games early in the season that put us in a hole. When he came back (in January) we only lost one game in the month. He is the straw that stirs the offense. Anyhow, I cannot wish you guys luck on tomorrow night because it would be insincere. But I do wish that you not take the impending loss too hard.

One last thing that I have not been able to get an answer to: I understand the Flames nickname (representing the Holy Ghost/Spirit), but why is the eagle the mascot? If the school is to use a bird, why not a representative Dove?

Thanks and good...oh yeah, that's right!
We can both say "Go Flames!"
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Let’s just say things are going exactly as expected every time the student show up to support the team.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Same old, let's pass it arond the exterior and see how far we can get from the basket, before taking a contested shot from downtown. They are driving the lane and almost scoring at will. Very embarrassing.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So predictable who would show up with negativity. Even Ritchie expressed frustration over the way we have played poorly on the rare occasions we have a good crowd at the game, but I really believe if we can have that kind of support on a regular basis, the guys will learn to play loose in that environment the way they did the other day in front of the empty seats they are accustomed to. Only 42 of the 351 D1 teams in the country had less experience, but they played a lot of good basketball this year. Obviously they did not tonight. Almost everyone back, and some exciting talent coming in. The future is bright.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:So predictable who would show up with negativity. Even Ritchie expressed frustration over the way we have played poorly on the rare occasions we have a good crowd at the game, but I really believe if we can have that kind of support on a regular basis, the guys will learn to play loose in that environment the way they did the other day in front of the empty seats they are accustomed to. Only 42 of the 351 D1 teams in the country had less experience, but they played a lot of good basketball this year. Obviously they did not tonight. Almost everyone back, and some exciting talent coming in. The future is bright.
There’s a lot to be said about playing in front of a big crowd when you are not used to it. Especially at home. Didn’t see the game, but not surprised with the outcome. The style of play LU incorporates isn’t conducive to a 2 week layoff. Great season. Nothing to be ashamed of.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
According to the box score, the attendance was listed at 2,248, but I would have guessed it was double that. The entire student side was packed, and Jerry's Jokers were on the Baptist side.

http://www.liberty.edu/wwwadmin/globals ... mb1837.htm
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
If this new PG recruit we have coming in, is as good as expected, I don't see Freddie Pachecho playing much next year. He has digressed as the year has gone on, IMHO. He looked especially poor tonight. Made some mistakes tonight, that most high- schoolers don't make.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:If this new PG recruit we have coming in, is as good as expected, I don't see Freddie Pachecho playing much next year. He has digressed as the year has gone on, IMHO. He looked especially poor tonight. Made some mistakes tonight, that most high- schoolers don't make.
Ferdie Pacheco was the "fight doctor". Georgie Pacheco plays guard for Liberty. Yes, he did play poorly toward the end of the year, and tonight was probably his worst game as a Flame, but I wouldn't be so sure he will be relegated to the bench for a Freshman (even though I think Darius McGhee is going to be special). Georgie played all summer for the Puerto Rican U19 national team, and got almost no time off before our practice started. I think he was just worn out. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him regain his form next Fall. While he is only 5'9", Darius has always been first and foremost a scorer, and with Cabbil and Pacheco having experience at the point, McKay has indicated he probably will not be a primary ball handler as a Freshman. He wants him to provide scoring and on-ball defense.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
flameshaw wrote:If this new PG recruit we have coming in, is as good as expected, I don't see Freddie Pachecho playing much next year. He has digressed as the year has gone on, IMHO. He looked especially poor tonight. Made some mistakes tonight, that most high- schoolers don't make.
Ferdie Pacheco was the "fight doctor". Georgie Pacheco plays guard for Liberty. Yes, he did play poorly toward the end of the year, and tonight was probably his worst game as a Flame, but I wouldn't be so sure he will be relegated to the bench for a Freshman (even though I think Darius McGhee is going to be special). Georgie played all summer for the Puerto Rican U19 national team, and got almost no time off before our practice started. I think he was just worn out. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him regain his form next Fall. While he is only 5'9", Darius has always been first and foremost a scorer, and with Cabbil and Pacheco having experience at the point, McKay has indicated he probably will not be a primary ball handler as a Freshman. He wants him to provide scoring and on-ball defense.
Freddie....Georgie.........tomato..............tomatoe. Play Basketball
By Jonathan Carone
We had a large crowd tonight, but did we have a loud crowd? I heard from a few people watching on tv that most of the crowd (including students) sat on their hands most of the night.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
No, the students were rocking the Vines. I hadn't heard it that loud in years, maybe decades.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:We had a large crowd tonight, but did we have a loud crowd? I heard from a few people watching on tv that most of the crowd (including students) sat on their hands most of the night.
The Vines is rarely mic'd very well in regards to crowd noise so it's nearly impossible to tell how loud it is by watching it on tv.
By Jonathan Carone
thepostman wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:We had a large crowd tonight, but did we have a loud crowd? I heard from a few people watching on tv that most of the crowd (including students) sat on their hands most of the night.
The Vines is rarely mic'd very well in regards to crowd noise so it's nearly impossible to tell how loud it is by watching it on tv.
That’s why I asked if it was loud. From what I was told (again, couldn’t watch) they said the students were sitting most of the game. With the volume levels always being weird, I didn’t know if they were at least cheering even though they were sitting.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I was told that those other Flames were "just too tall and athletic" for us. We had a 6 minute scoring drought and another where we only had 1 basket in 4 minutes. Hopefully next season we will have players on floor who can put ball in basket, better than this season.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I was told that those other Flames were "just too tall and athletic" for us. We had a 6 minute scoring drought and another where we only had 1 basket in 4 minutes. Hopefully next season we will have players on floor who can put ball in basket, better than this season.
#sources
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]