If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 27th, 2020, 2:42 pm She hasn't fired you yet?
No. And I’ve rendered my resignation a bunch of times too. It’s horrible!! :D
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
The arena looks really small. Hopefully its just an optical illusion. Did anyone else also think that the new Vines roof would be flatter? It looks just about as tall as the old roof to me (in person, at least).
By Class of 20Something
stokesjokes wrote: August 27th, 2020, 3:24 pm The arena looks really small. Hopefully its just an optical illusion. Did anyone else also think that the new Vines roof would be flatter? It looks just about as tall as the old roof to me (in person, at least).
It's at least 20' shorter. If you can get the time lapse views on the cameras, mark the old height when it comes down.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
yeah, the drawings I saw of the new roof for the Vines did look smaller to me than what is actually going in place but maybe there was a change that we were made aware of. These LU construction projects always take on a life of their own but it does look smaller than the previous roof. It just is larger than i was anticipating.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: August 27th, 2020, 3:28 pm
stokesjokes wrote: August 27th, 2020, 3:24 pm The arena looks really small. Hopefully its just an optical illusion. Did anyone else also think that the new Vines roof would be flatter? It looks just about as tall as the old roof to me (in person, at least).
It's at least 20' shorter. If you can get the time lapse views on the cameras, mark the old height when it comes down.
You're right, I guess I expected flatter and less imposing.
By Liberty_2023
I was looking at the construction cam and saw that they were putting in bleachers. Are there going to be expandable/retractable bleachers for all the lower seats or just on the side opposite the club seating? Did they do bleacher seats because that's cheaper or so they could add practice space?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Liberty_2023 wrote: August 31st, 2020, 2:42 pm I was looking at the construction cam and saw that they were putting in bleachers. Are there going to be expandable/retractable bleachers for all the lower seats or just on the side opposite the club seating? Did they do bleacher seats because that's cheaper or so they could add practice space?
Unless something has changed, they will be retractable, but they will be individual seats, not bleachers. Source: JLFJR himself, posting in this very thread.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Liberty_2023 wrote: August 31st, 2020, 2:42 pm I was looking at the construction cam and saw that they were putting in bleachers. Are there going to be expandable/retractable bleachers for all the lower seats or just on the side opposite the club seating? Did they do bleacher seats because that's cheaper or so they could add practice space?
https://www.odell.com/portfolio/liberty ... ity-arena/

They have plenty of practice space which was added behind the Vines 4-5 years ago.
By tyndal23
Not being sarcastic but it is set up as volleyball and hoops in mind and the extra court space is for volleyball. If it were strictly for hoops - seats would be right on top of the bench. As is - feels like that even the pullout seating is a pretty far back from the players for hoops. The renderings look close but the construction pic seems like way to far back from the players.
By tyndal23
tyndal23 wrote: August 31st, 2020, 10:55 pm Not being sarcastic but it is set up as volleyball and hoops in mind and the extra court space is for volleyball. If it were strictly for hoops - seats would be right on top of the bench. As is - feels like that even the pullout seating is a pretty far back from the players for hoops. The renderings look close but the construction pic seems like way to far back from the players.
I day later - I completely change my mind - bleachers are pulled all the way out on construction cam and come right up to players bench. ( actually wish they were bleachers and not seats for students with no aisles - that would be a bit like a Duke ).
By michaeleyou
Registration Days Posts
What's up with the mixed colored seats in the sections? Non of the renderings showed anything like that.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
michaeleyou wrote: September 17th, 2020, 6:32 pm What's up with the mixed colored seats in the sections? Non of the renderings showed anything like that.
The mural on the Vines Center wall (during the past basketball season) depicts the seating color scheme.
michaeleyou liked this
By ElmersTwin
Liberty_2023 wrote: October 5th, 2020, 12:29 pm Does anyone know how big the new video board is in the arena?
The video boards on the end are the size of what’s in Vines, so it’s about 16x10. The boards running parallel to the court are roughly 4x3 bigger than the end boards. I asked several coworkers on the project but all I got were rough estimates.
Liberty_2023 liked this
By mlschubert
Registration Days Posts
Had the chance to see the inside of the new Arena today. Fans will not be disappointed! Feels much larger than the pictures & much better feel than the vines. The Arena will continue to help us build program momentum. What a great recruiting tool.
stokesjokes, SumItUp liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Thanks @ElmersTwin !!

The new arena does look bigger than it has in other pictures I have seen.

In the newest Liberty Journal they said the new arena will be able to sit up to 4,000 for sporting events. Have they altered the plans yet again to fit in 500 more seats? I haven't seen that written anywhere else, so just curious.
ElmersTwin liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]