If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Liberty_2023
Hi I'm currently a student at liberty and have enjoyed reading the boards for a few months now. This is my first post and I was curious if anyone knew how much Liberty Arena cost?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Welcome to the board, 2023!

There are announced costs at commissioning and total costs for completion. The two numbers are rarely close.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty_2023 wrote: May 26th, 2020, 8:25 pm Hi I'm currently a student at liberty and have enjoyed reading the boards for a few months now. This is my first post and I was curious if anyone knew how much Liberty Arena cost?
:welcome :welcome :welcome

That’s a good question. I do not know
By Jonathan Carone
Liberty_2023 wrote: May 26th, 2020, 8:25 pm Hi I'm currently a student at liberty and have enjoyed reading the boards for a few months now. This is my first post and I was curious if anyone knew how much Liberty Arena cost?
According to Damien, $65 million.
The $65 million Liberty Arena, being built in between the Vines Center and DeMoss Hall, is targeted for an Oct. 1 completion date, in time to host the entirety of the 2020-21 home schedules for Liberty University volleyball and men’s and women’s basketball.
https://t.co/SXDBImtptA
Liberty_2023 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Ill flame wrote: May 26th, 2020, 10:14 pm Do we know if there are plans to upgrade anymore of the athletic facilities in the near future?
I'm sure there will be. Not only because athletics will continue to grow, but I don't see construction work ever ending at that campus. They might as well expand it more and get more students on the mountain.
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote: May 26th, 2020, 11:30 pm
Ill flame wrote: May 26th, 2020, 10:14 pm Do we know if there are plans to upgrade anymore of the athletic facilities in the near future?
I'm sure there will be. Not only because athletics will continue to grow, but I don't see construction work ever ending at that campus. They might as well expand it more and get more students on the mountain.
What is left to upgrade besides soccer locker room/building?
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: May 27th, 2020, 11:11 am
cruzan_flame13 wrote: May 26th, 2020, 11:30 pm
What is left to upgrade besides soccer locker room/building?
Does the baseball/softball/ golf programs have an indoor practice facility? Vines center will probably get another renovation at some point. Hopefully football attendance improves enough to warrant another football stadium expansion. I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head and none of these things are necessary by any stretch of the imagination.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Rumors and softball. I wonder why one of our posters immediately came to mind?

As for indoor baseball & softball, are using the inoor track facility as such these days? I know some universities have used thm at other schools for rainy days.

I suspect most of our capital expenditures moving forward will be aimed toward academic facilities in the next few years. That assumes of course that there will be continued capital projects in the next few years once the economics of a Post-COVID world come into clearer view.
By Ill flame
Sly Fox wrote: May 27th, 2020, 1:20 pm Rumors and softball. I wonder why one of our posters immediately came to mind?

As for indoor baseball & softball, are using the inoor track facility as such these days? I know some universities have used thm at other schools for rainy days.

I suspect most of our capital expenditures moving forward will be aimed toward academic facilities in the next few years. That assumes of course that there will be continued capital projects in the next few years once the economics of a Post-COVID world come into clearer view.
How many more academic buildings still need renovated or built? It seems like few buildings on campus have remained untouched in recent years.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
"Excellent sources" tell me plans have been drawn up for an indoor practice facility for softball. it will be adjacent to the concourse along 3rd base side of stadium, taking up part of softball stadium parking lot.

3 new batting cages have been put up near left field corner of stadium, shortly after season was halted.
By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote: May 27th, 2020, 1:20 pm Rumors and softball. I wonder why one of our posters immediately came to mind?

I suspect most of our capital expenditures moving forward will be aimed toward academic facilities in the next few years. That assumes of course that there will be continued capital projects in the next few years
once the economics of a Post-COVID world come into clearer view.
Like some of these ideas that were tentative a few years ago:

https://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/ ... ac102.html
future building ideas include a graduate campus in Campbell County and a residential revamp of South Campus, among other changes.
Edit: Also this chapel which will hopefully come into friction:

https://www.liberty.edu/journal/article
[A new prayer chapel is being planned near the south residential quad. Seating about 225, the new chapel will not only be a place for students, faculty, and staff to pray daily, but will also become an additional venue for weddings, which can be held inside or outside under an atrium. There is no expected start date for this project, but planners hope to have it constructed in the next three years[this has not happened].
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, it looks like the first game in the arena will be WBB vs. D2 Bluefield on Nov. 12 :roll: This is what they call a "soft opening" in the hospitality business.

Purple Haize liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Looks like a WEST VIRGINIA school is coming to town! :pbjtime
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 29th, 2020, 1:22 pm I believe that is too soft of an opening.
Doesn't sound like you know what the term means. :shock: A soft opening is where a new venue like a restaurant or bar opens first for a limited number of people in order to "work the kinks out". I'll wait to see who we play in the MBB opener before passing judgement.
ballcoach15 liked this
By tyndal23
Veritas wrote: June 12th, 2020, 9:21 am Curious pedestal structure in the middle of the Vines floor:
https://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/in ... n-Interior

I suppose this is clear confirmation that the Vines will not be used for sporting events in the future, as the elevated structure appears to be made of poured concrete.
I wager it is temporary base for Temporary center pole for the roof.
ballcoach15 liked this

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]