If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BlueBlood
PAmedic wrote: May 16th, 2020, 1:44 pm Link still says “Vines center renovation – interior“ but looks like the new arena to me

https://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/in ... n-Interior

Hope it’s as nice as anticipated cause it sure looks small to me

(That’s not what she said)
I noticed it too. It does look small. I still think it’s just a temporary step for MBB. The renderings of the new Vines roof show the athletics logo on it (not the regular school monogram). I don’t think they would do that if the building was truly no longer going to be used for athletics.
By tyndal23
BlueBlood wrote: May 16th, 2020, 3:42 pm
PAmedic wrote: May 16th, 2020, 1:44 pm Link still says “Vines center renovation – interior“ but looks like the new arena to me

https://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/in ... n-Interior

Hope it’s as nice as anticipated cause it sure looks small to me

(That’s not what she said)
I noticed it too. It does look small. I still think it’s just a temporary step for MBB. The renderings of the new Vines roof show the athletics logo on it (not the regular school monogram). I don’t think they would do that if the building was truly no longer going to be used for athletics.
They stated a week or so they are rehanging the scoreboard for future sporting events in Vines. Have already referenced how much better acoustics will be etc. if LU outgrows Arena - Vines will be where they play - nonsense to think they would build a 6k arena somewhere else if 4K is too small and 8k too big.
By LUOrange
Back in the 90's the Vines seated around 9500 or more, I believe that included the bleachers that pulled out on both sides of the tunnel. It never actually seated 10K, they also removed and put back seats several times over the years constantly changing it's capacity. Hopefully, they can renovate the Vines so that the seating and stage configuration can easily retract back and forth between a basketball arena and a concert/convocation center. That way they could actually utilize the 1K or so seats that were removed or obstructed by the screens and speakers.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
does anyone know what is going on above the tunnel in the Vines? i know all of the padded seats are covered up, but that looks like something else is going on .
By ElmersTwin
bigsmooth wrote: May 19th, 2020, 10:26 am does anyone know what is going on above the tunnel in the Vines? i know all of the padded seats are covered up, but that looks like something else is going on .
I'm pretty sure that's just a temporary roof structure. They framed everything out and built that with seats still in tact right under it.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: May 20th, 2020, 9:55 am https://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/in ... erior-View

Looks like the new video board frame is together. I am also very surprised that the seating is VERY similar to how JPJ is laid out. They can probably retract the lower half of the seats for things like Volleyball and WBB. The front row would be elevated and unobstructed.
Perfect for Volleyball and high school/D3 ball. Boy, it looks small.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Well, if we could've averaged way more in the Vines Center over the years we wouldn't of come to this but such is life.

The camera angle is really weird though making it look even smaller.
By Ill flame
The important thing is that attendance/ excitement for the program is finally on a good trajectory. Hopefully we can average a near sell out for the next several years and force the school to find a long term solution for mbb.
thepostman liked this
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: May 20th, 2020, 7:35 pm This was from 2009 - seems like now they have invested in a new roof that the rest of the plan could still be implemented ( or close to it ).

http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?P ... N=13301942
That's an interesting article. I don't know what the needs for convocation are but 11,000 would obviously be way too big for basketball unless we end up in the acc or something which isn't happening anytime soon. Either way it would be difficult to renovate a building to perfectly fit the needs for mbb and convocation but I'm sure it could be done eventually.
By Jonathan Carone
thepostman wrote: May 20th, 2020, 6:52 pm The camera angle is really weird though making it look even smaller.
I think what's making it look smaller is the final 3-4 rows of seating haven't been installed. Those are the retractable ones that would be under that wall that's currently there and would go all the way to the floor.

It's still a lot smaller than Vines and is going to take getting used to, but it won't feel as small as this currently does.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 20th, 2020, 8:19 pm
tyndal23 wrote: May 20th, 2020, 7:35 pm This was from 2009 - seems like now they have invested in a new roof that the rest of the plan could still be implemented ( or close to it ).

http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?P ... N=13301942
That's an interesting article. I don't know what the needs for convocation are but 11,000 would obviously be way too big for basketball unless we end up in the acc or something which isn't happening anytime soon. Either way it would be difficult to renovate a building to perfectly fit the needs for mbb and convocation but I'm sure it could be done eventually.
I prefer the exterior be upgraded with brick and entrance Pictured to tie it all in with campus. Fill in the gaps on outer wall with extra restrooms and concessions for Live Nation summer concerts JR referenced in Lawnvo. If they don’t need more seats for convo - I don’t really care about expansion of seats.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: May 20th, 2020, 8:23 pm
thepostman wrote: May 20th, 2020, 6:52 pm The camera angle is really weird though making it look even smaller.
I think what's making it look smaller is the final 3-4 rows of seating haven't been installed. Those are the retractable ones that would be under that wall that's currently there and would go all the way to the floor.

It's still a lot smaller than Vines and is going to take getting used to, but it won't feel as small as this currently does.
Yeah, that's true too. I mean it looks smaller compared to the Vines because it is half the size. Comparing it to a D3/high school gym is a bit much for me.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 20th, 2020, 9:06 pm I've been in high school gyms bigger than this arena but that's the exception rather than the rule
The other thing that I find interesting is the change in Jerry's perspective. It wasn't long ago that he felt he needed the tallest building in town so he built the phallic tower. Now he is trying to go small... But I guess the parking deck the opposite the arena makes up for that.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
I'm not sure if you all saw Todd Patulski's tweet, but he basically gave the Athletic Department answer as to why the 4,000 arena is being built.

It makes perfect sense. If we're only selling 500 season tickets after an NCAA Tournament win, the first in school history, then a 9,000 seat arena doesn't make any sense. Hopefully we can get our season ticket sales up over 1,000, leave 2,000 seats for students, and 1,000 for single game tickets.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It seems to me that it isn’t either 9000 seats or 4000 seats. It seems a lot of people are in agreement (not you roger3 but you make great points) that a number between those would be better. I thought it was originally supposed to be 5kish which seemed about right. However, I don’t have access to attendance numbers etc to determine the rolling averages. I feel confident the vast majority think the Vines was too big and a good number think this is too small. Sounds like a children’s story with porridge or something
tyndal23 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: May 21st, 2020, 9:53 am It seems to me that it isn’t either 9000 seats or 4000 seats. It seems a lot of people are in agreement (not you roger3 but you make great points) that a number between those would be better. I thought it was originally supposed to be 5kish which seemed about right. However, I don’t have access to attendance numbers etc to determine the rolling averages. I feel confident the vast majority think the Vines was too big and a good number think this is too small. Sounds like a children’s story with porridge or something
The thing that happened faster than anyone expected was the crowds showing back up after Ritchie started having success. When these plans were made, 4000 could've made sense. But this gives us no room to grow. I've been in the 4500-5000 camp as well. A place like Winthrop (6100) might be a little too big but Cameron Hall (5029) could've been perfect.
Purple Haize liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It does seem most agree 4,000 seems too small but I like it better than staying in a consistently half empty Vines Center.

It'll be interesting to see if they become creative with seating configurations in the Vines Center in the years to come.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

If the new players picks up on the pack line def[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]