If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LU 57
SumItUp wrote: January 21st, 2020, 10:56 pm No way there were 4,000 people at games in the Schilling Center. Atmosphere was definitely an advantage to the home team and fun in the stands. The only amenities were two bathrooms; one for the boys and one for the girls.
Schilling was what we called the multi-purpose center?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 8:49 pm
SumItUp wrote: January 21st, 2020, 10:56 pm No way there were 4,000 people at games in the Schilling Center. Atmosphere was definitely an advantage to the home team and fun in the stands. The only amenities were two bathrooms; one for the boys and one for the girls.
I believe it was initially called "Liberty Gym" and then changed to the Multi- Purpose Center after the Vines was built and later to Schilling Center after the family made a substantial donation. Capacity was a bit North of 2000. It was 100% bleacher seating and we really packed them in to get to that.
LU 57 liked this
By tyndal23
oldflame wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 7:55 pm
tyndal23 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 6:41 pm $10 per ticket x 6000 = $ 600,000 - is that tangible ?
Check your math.

Check also the capacity of the Vines Center.
Round it down to 9k - 4K = 5k turned away, but bump to $12 per ticket and my math us still right minus a zero....
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 8:54 pm
LU 57 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 8:49 pm
I believe it was initially called "Liberty Gym" and then changed to the Multi- Purpose Center after the Vines was built and later to Schilling Center after the family made a substantial donation. Capacity was a bit North of 2000. It was 100% bleacher seating and we really packed them in to get to that.
Having spent lots of time at games in Schilling, I'd argue the 2k number. Id bet closer to 3 and more in standing room. There was a large stand of portable bleachers on the end of the court, larger than the fixed bleachers. It is pretty easy to look at examples of high school gyms online that seat 3k and up and compare. I looked up box scores but couldn't find old figures. How many of you guys sat in those bleachers
with me watching Farquhar and Alston (and Soldesi :lol: ) do their thing?
flamehunter liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 10:04 pm How many of you guys sat in those bleachers with me watching Farquhar and Alston (and Soldesi :lol: ) do their thing?
What about SCAR??? Play Basketball
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 10:09 pm
rogers3 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 10:04 pm How many of you guys sat in those bleachers with me watching Farquhar and Alston (and Soldesi :lol: ) do their thing?
What about SCAR??? Play Basketball
Don’t get me started!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 10:00 pm
oldflame wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 7:55 pm
tyndal23 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 6:41 pm $10 per ticket x 6000 = $ 600,000 - is that tangible ?
Check your math.

Round it down to 9k - 4K = 5k turned away, but bump to $12 per ticket and my math us still right minus a zero....
Actually that means you had everything in the equation wrong, with the extra zero obviously the really egregious error. 8)

So lets look at reality. 5000 is pretty close in the capacity difference. It may be a bit more, but we can round down and make it up and then some on the ticket price. Let's go all the way to $20. So......................

5,000 x $20 = $100,000 We pick up an extra 100 gs, right?
Wrong.
Having already given up home court advantage to play an enormously important game in an unfamiliar venue, are we going to then double down by limiting the number of students who can attend to the same 2000 who are admitted at the Liberty Arena? I would certainly hope not, and if we did, I highly doubt we could sell out. I would very conservatively say that at least 2000 of the 5000 extra butts in the seats will be students, which of course will not make us one extra cent. So.....................................

3000 x $20 = $60,000 That's still a lot, right?

Not so fast my friend.
From that 60 grand, you need to subtract the cost of changing the Vines to basketball mode and then back to Convo mode. I can't say I know exactly what that is, but it's enough to have been one of the main reason's why we decided to build the new arena in the first place. Let's conservatively say $5,000. In reality, it might require changing more than once, because after screwing the team over already, they at least need the opportunity to practice a couple of times in the Vines so they will have a teeny tiny bit of a home court advantage, right? So to avoid that, we schedule the game on a Tuesday night. The crew can make the changeover after Convo on Friday, and the team will have 3 full days to get used to the new setting. Right?
But wait a minute. Don't we usually play a game on Saturday? Like EVERY Saturday? Of course we do. So at most they would probably have 1 light practice and 1 full practice to acclimatize. Otherwise you are talking about more than one changeover.

Bottom line is that we would probably be looking at a net financial gain of about $50,000 MAX, and that is really skewing a couple of figures like the ticket price (a bit high) and the number of students (probably low) in favor of a larger gain than we will probably achieve. Is that tangible? I guess the answer is somewhat subjective, but I for one certainly hope that we will not start giving up our home court advantage for our biggest games based on that amount of money.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:[quote=oldflame post_id=594445 time=<a href="tel:1579737331" data-original-title="" title="">1579737331</a> user_id=54091]
[quote=tyndal23 post_id=594440 time=<a href="tel:1579732884" data-original-title="" title="">1579732884</a> user_id=53702]
$10 per ticket x 6000 = $ 600,000 - is that tangible ?
Check your math.

[/quote]

Round it down to 9k - 4K = 5k turned away, but bump to $12 per ticket and my math us still right minus a zero....[/quote]

You can always use a calculator to check your answer Study
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
What about Mrs Purple?? Play Basketball
FIFY
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 8:46 am
FIFY
I saw her play defense for an extended period of time (pre shot clock) while hopping around on one leg with what I believe turned out to be a torn ACL. Might be the gutsiest thing I've ever seen as a sports fan.
Purple Haize, SumItUp liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:08 am
Purple Haize wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 8:46 am
FIFY
I saw her play defense for an extended period of time (pre shot clock) while hopping around on one leg with what I believe turned out to be a torn ACL. Might be the gutsiest thing I've ever seen as a sports fan.
Yeah she’s a tough old bird.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I received a Survey via email today about game tickets in new arena. Several questions mentioned "cost of parking". I predict that fans will have to pay to park in new parking garage for basketball games, and possibly other parking lots also.
By Jonathan Carone
Because parking is a limited resource and if the school can either make revenue off of it and/or give it as a benefit to donors, they should. Anyone not named you expects to pay to park at public events.
By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: January 30th, 2020, 8:33 pm If my memory is correct, I have never paid to park on a college campus.
This is pretty standard for major universities. Especially for football. As liberty continues to grow it will have some growing pains transitioning to standard practices that other large universities use.
By Jonathan Carone
I’m all for free parking. But it should be in the outside lots with a shuttle bringing you to the arena.

If you want to park closer/more conveniently - you pay for it.

That’s how it works everywhere in the country in any form of entertainment.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I mentioned this in another thread, but it deserves repeating: RED BRICK is going up on the new Liberty Arena.

Also in the same survey Ballcoach referenced, they wanted to know how much would be "too much" to pay for basketball season tickets. I'd love to know Ballcoach's answer for that one!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 31st, 2020, 8:05 am I mentioned this in another thread, but it deserves repeating: RED BRICK is going up on the new Liberty Arena.

Also in the same survey Ballcoach referenced, they wanted to know how much would be "too much" to pay for basketball season tickets. I'd love to know Ballcoach's answer for that one!
$ 12.00
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote: January 31st, 2020, 9:15 am
Cider Jim wrote: January 31st, 2020, 8:05 am I mentioned this in another thread, but it deserves repeating: RED BRICK is going up on the new Liberty Arena.

$ 12.00
Perfect. Means one less person in the new arena face deep in their phone the whole time.
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]