If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BlueBlood
Class of 20Something wrote: March 9th, 2020, 9:11 am
BlueBlood wrote: March 9th, 2020, 8:00 am BTW - can anyone think of a venue that successfully transforms from one size to another - depending upon need/use? I'm not talking about covering whole seating sections with tarps or hanging big curtains - something more purposefully built to transform. A quality variable-size arena seems like something that should have been designed by now - I just can't think of an example.
John Paul Jones
How does JPJ transition from large venue to smaller sizes? I’m not familiar, and couldn’t find any pictures that show it with a reduced capacity. Just curious. Thanks. If a large venue can successfully transform into a smaller one without making fans feel like they are in a large/empty/repurposed venue, that is quite a feat.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: March 9th, 2020, 12:42 pm
PAmedic wrote: March 9th, 2020, 12:39 pm manson- can you confirm any NCAA reg which requires mens/womens hoops play in the same venue?

I thought I remembered it being mentioned in the past that it was a title IX thing they had to do so
No that's not the case. UNC, for one, plays in different arenas for WBB & MBB.
good. I thought that would be stupid but then again...

thx
By LUOrange
BlueBlood wrote: March 9th, 2020, 8:00 am BTW - can anyone think of a venue that successfully transforms from one size to another - depending upon need/use? I'm not talking about covering whole seating sections with tarps or hanging big curtains - something more purposefully built to transform. A quality variable-size arena seems like something that should have been designed by now - I just can't think of an example.
Baylor's Ferrell Center, which the Vines is the cheap version of, has multiple seating arrangements and options. I'm hoping that the long term plans for the Vines is to renovate it to a similar fashion so that we'll still have the Vines for MBB in a better conference and it'll be an easier set up for Convo and concerts.
By LUOrange
oldflame wrote: March 9th, 2020, 9:13 am
ballcoach15 wrote: March 9th, 2020, 8:35 am Liberty has never been able to get a "good reading" or even an honest reading on basketball attendance because of the lack of parking. I would have loved to see one more season in Vines Center after completion of the new parking garage.
As usual, you are confusing how everyone thinks with how you do.
Ballcoach is not wrong here. Parking has always been a problem, but has only been exasperated by much of the recent improvements to campus. Throw in the fact that when parking was still a problem but considerably better, the team stunk. I've long thought that 1) when they built the tunnel under 460 they should have put a huge parking lot and/or garage there, which they are obviously doing now. 2) when they tore down Dorm Circle, they should've put a huge parking lot and/or garage there. Obviously, they put those super dorms up, and it looks great, but they still lacked the adequate parking for either the Vines or the new arena.

So I too, would like to see how we do next year in the Vines in MBB after 3 successful seasons in a potential rebuilding year with the parking garage. MBB could play all of the Christmas Break games and games against community colleges in the new Arena.
Last edited by LUOrange on March 9th, 2020, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballcoach15 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: March 9th, 2020, 1:27 pm
Baylor's Ferrell Center, which the Vines is the cheap version of, has multiple seating arrangements and options. I'm hoping that the long term plans for the Vines is to renovate it to a similar fashion so that we'll still have the Vines for MBB in a better conference and it'll be an easier set up for Convo and concerts.
I don't think we will ever go back to changing back and forth between basketball and convo in the same venue. Getting away from that was one of the major reasons they are building the Liberty Arena. If and when a larger basketball facility is in order, it will either be a new one, or they will build a new building for convo and renovate the Vines. I'm thinking probably the latter, to keep it next door to the practice facility.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The original plan, if I remember correctly, was to build a convention center near the mall and renovate the Vines to fit our needs with the convention center being where we would move if we ever warranted that kind of place. The school wanted the city's help and that didnt happen thus the Liberty Arena was born.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote: March 9th, 2020, 12:48 pm
PAmedic wrote: March 9th, 2020, 12:39 pm manson- can you confirm any NCAA reg which requires mens/womens hoops play in the same venue?

I thought I remembered it being mentioned in the past that it was a title IX thing they had to do so

thx
UNC had to fight the NCAA and the Powers That Be for WBB to stay at Carmichael. By Law at the time they were required to play at the Dean Dome
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Whatever they are calling the Carrier Dome nowadays
By BlueBlood
Purple Haize wrote: March 9th, 2020, 1:58 pm
Whatever they are calling the Carrier Dome nowadays
Ha. I was thinking much smaller - but that is the basic idea. I guess the Alamo dome would be another big one.

More specifically, I was thinking of an arena that could sit like 15,000 for Convo but be reconfigured (again, not just tarps and curtains) to sit something smaller than that for basketball (or concerts, conventions, whatever).

A venue that I thing has the right layout is UD Arena. The building has a wing shape. The roof is lower over the court and is higher on the two sides of the court. If you sit at the top of one side, you can't see the top of the other side due to the roofline being low in the middle. You could easily have retractable walls that partition off portions of the two winged sections - and the walls wouldn't be unnaturally high when closed off due to the roofline.
By Class of 20Something
BlueBlood wrote: March 9th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: March 9th, 2020, 9:11 am
John Paul Jones
How does JPJ transition from large venue to smaller sizes? I’m not familiar, and couldn’t find any pictures that show it with a reduced capacity. Just curious. Thanks. If a large venue can successfully transform into a smaller one without making fans feel like they are in a large/empty/repurposed venue, that is quite a feat.
One end of seating is completely removable. Additionally about 3/4 of the lower sections can be removed. Check out JPJ for Monster Jam. Cuts the seats dramatically. The different concert and conference set ups are impressive too.
Purple Haize liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 9th, 2020, 1:56 pm

thx
UNC had to fight the NCAA and the Powers That Be for WBB to stay at Carmichael. By Law at the time they were required to play at the Dean Dome
And if I recall correctly, it was the WBB coach who fought the hardest to keep their games in Charmichael. More suited to their drawing ability, and it gave them a place of their own.
Purple Haize liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: March 9th, 2020, 3:18 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 9th, 2020, 1:56 pm

thx
And if I recall correctly, it was the WBB coach who fought the hardest to keep their games in Charmichael. More suited to their drawing ability, and it gave them a place of their own.
I'm glad I continued beating the dead horse. I'm thinking that some blood pressure is starting to rise as some seek to bury the Vines!
Dammit... I'll see games in there again :lol:
Purple Haize, LUOrange liked this
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: March 8th, 2020, 11:32 pm
LUOrange wrote: March 8th, 2020, 10:39 pm The new arena will be mostly fine while we're in the ASUN. It'll be inadequate for the AAC or better, if and when we get lucky. But I'll rest my case and quit beating this dead horse.
A couple extra floggings won't hurt.
A 4000 sellout out on ESPN will not seem quite as big time as what we saw today, but at least we will have an appropriate venue for a low-profile program in an area that has such a small fan base. I hope we can downsize the stadium next since we don't fill it.
The new Liberty Arena will be amazing for the basketball team. Think about last year's championship game at Lipscomb. I think there were about 4,000 at that game in Nashville. Now think about that kindof a crowd at almost every home game. It is going to be nice. As far as the football stadium, I wish, and I believe I mentioned somewhere on this board way back....I wish the upper deck on the student side would have matched the size of that on the baptist side. It would have looked so much better even though it would have probably sat 3,000 less people...to compound the problem...the berm is now so steep...before, overflow could have always sat on the berm. But if its and buts were candy and nuts....
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 5:04 am W-L next season may dictate attendance.
The effect of winning or losing on attendance is more long term than short term. I doubt attendance will drop off next season, even though it's highly unlikely we will win 30 games again. There will be carryover following the last 2 years of unprecedented success, the new arena will be an attraction, and while the team may not win as many games there will be a bunch of talented new players that curious fans will want to see.
Purple Haize liked this
By Class of 20Something
I also think we are now able to recruit better raw shooters that fit the packline. That’s going to push us to new heights. If we can continue to hold teams under 55 while increasing our points scored, games will start to get put away earlier and earlier.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote: March 10th, 2020, 12:35 am
rogers3 wrote: March 8th, 2020, 11:32 pm
LUOrange wrote: March 8th, 2020, 10:39 pm The new arena will be mostly fine while we're in the ASUN. It'll be inadequate for the AAC or better, if and when we get lucky. But I'll rest my case and quit beating this dead horse.
A couple extra floggings won't hurt.
A 4000 sellout out on ESPN will not seem quite as big time as what we saw today, but at least we will have an appropriate venue for a low-profile program in an area that has such a small fan base. I hope we can downsize the stadium next since we don't fill it.
The new Liberty Arena will be amazing for the basketball team. Think about last year's championship game at Lipscomb. I think there were about 4,000 at that game in Nashville. Now think about that kindof a crowd at almost every home game. It is going to be nice. As far as the football stadium, I wish, and I believe I mentioned somewhere on this board way back....I wish the upper deck on the student side would have matched the size of that on the baptist side. It would have looked so much better even though it would have probably sat 3,000 less people...to compound the problem...the berm is now so steep...before, overflow could have always sat on the berm. But if its and buts were candy and nuts....
Last year's Lipscomb game was electric. Their arena sits 5000+.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
As long as parking doesn’t turn into the absolute cluster that it was on Sunday, things will be fine. Making those leaving the parking garage and the Bailey lots exit the same way was complete ineptitude at its finest. You literally had the biggest event on campus since football, and you made only one exit. It was awful.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 12:15 pm As long as parking doesn’t turn into the absolute cluster that it was on Sunday, things will be fine. Making those leaving the parking garage and the Bailey lots exit the same way was complete ineptitude at its finest. You literally had the biggest event on campus since football, and you made only one exit. It was awful.
It’s a big factor why I stay away
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I've never understood the complaints about parking for basketball games, and I don't use any special faculty parking pass. In the old days, I parked between the Religion Hall (now gone) and the bookstore, and more recently I've parked in the parking garage. Even parking on East Campus is close, if you take the tunnel. None of those walks is longer than a football field.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 10th, 2020, 1:54 pm I've never understood the complaints about parking for basketball games, and I don't use any special faculty parking pass. In the old days, I parked between the Religion Hall (now gone) and the bookstore, and more recently I've parked in the parking garage. Even parking on East Campus is close, if you take the tunnel. None of those walks is longer than a football field.
When I was on campus every day I felt the same way. Now? I have no clue where to park. It’s ridiculous. Youve seen complaints about the parking deck. It’s a huge issue that they need to fix. Right after concessions :D
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 10th, 2020, 1:54 pm I've never understood the complaints about parking for basketball games
You aint as fat as some of us. :lol:

I don't think it is too bad either, especially when the weather is moderate. If it were icy & snowing... or bitter cold...
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 12:15 pm As long as parking doesn’t turn into the absolute cluster that it was on Sunday, things will be fine. Making those leaving the parking garage and the Bailey lots exit the same way was complete ineptitude at its finest. You literally had the biggest event on campus since football, and you made only one exit. It was awful.
Sometimes I think if LUPD would not direct traffic after the game, traffic would flow better.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Reference 4000 seat arenas, Robert Morris is playing tonight in their championship game. Their arena is full for only 2nd game this season. Other time was when they played Pittsburgh.

I believe a couple of former LU employees are now at RM. Chris King and Kim Graham. King is AD.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]