If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUOrange
It was a great atmosphere this afternoon. The almost full Vines was clearly a factor IMO. Obviously, I'm not a fan of the new arena for MBB, and today's game was a prime example why. It was definitely provided a good argument to return to the Vines for big games. But I'm sure we'll do well in our brand new ASUN arena. Hopefully, the plan is to return to a renovated Vines when we get into a better conference.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: March 8th, 2020, 8:52 pm It was a great atmosphere this afternoon. The almost full Vines was clearly a factor IMO. Obviously, I'm not a fan of the new arena for MBB, and today's game was a prime example why. It was definitely provided a good argument to return to the Vines for big games. But I'm sure we'll do well in our brand new ASUN arena. Hopefully, the plan is to return to a renovated Vines when we get into a better conference.
I think today was a PERFECT example of why the new arena will be an asset. Imagine that atmosphere every game or at least most? This game was a one off in terms of that level of attendance and will continue to an exception. You want that atmosphere? You need an arena that fits attendance
By LUOrange
The new arena will be mostly fine while we're in the ASUN. It'll be inadequate for the AAC or better, if and when we get lucky. But I'll rest my case and quit beating this dead horse.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm looking forward to the consistent loud environment the new arena will bring. I think it'll convert the doubters.

The ESPN crew loved the idea foo and they are outside, unbiased announcers. Mentioned more schools should take notice.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: March 8th, 2020, 10:39 pm The new arena will be mostly fine while we're in the ASUN. It'll be inadequate for the AAC or better, if and when we get lucky. But I'll rest my case and quit beating this dead horse.
A couple extra floggings won't hurt.
A 4000 sellout out on ESPN will not seem quite as big time as what we saw today, but at least we will have an appropriate venue for a low-profile program in an area that has such a small fan base. I hope we can downsize the stadium next since we don't fill it.
By Ill flame
rogers3 wrote: March 8th, 2020, 11:32 pm
A couple extra floggings won't hurt.
A 4000 sellout out on ESPN will not seem quite as big time as what we saw today, but at least we will have an appropriate venue for a low-profile program in an area that has such a small fan base. I hope we can downsize the stadium next since we don't fill it.
I understand this is sarcasm but we needed a smaller arena for women's basketball and volleyball regardless. I would be surprised if the arena is the long term venue for men's basketball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I knew the "usual suspects" would make a big deal out of the crowd for the final, conveniently ignoring the fact that there were over 6000 empty seats for both the quarterfinal and semifinal games. IMHO, this week absolutely confirmed the wisdom of downsizing for now.
By BlueBlood
rogers3 wrote: March 8th, 2020, 11:32 pm A couple extra floggings won't hurt.
I actually love the new arena for all of the volleyball, WBB games and most of the MBB games. I just wish they would play in Vines a couple times a year for big games that the school knows in advance will be big draws due to calendar placement and/or opponent. Every time something like that is mentioned, it gets bashed on here like that is the stupidest thing you could possibly do (nevermind that there are lots of schools that have done this type of strategy very successfully for years). I'm taking some comfort in the fact that the new Vines roof design is showing the athletics logo on the roof, not the regular school logo. It makes me think that using Vines again for athletics is definitely on the table.
LUOrange liked this
By BlueBlood
BTW - can anyone think of a venue that successfully transforms from one size to another - depending upon need/use? I'm not talking about covering whole seating sections with tarps or hanging big curtains - something more purposefully built to transform. A quality variable-size arena seems like something that should have been designed by now - I just can't think of an example.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: March 9th, 2020, 7:40 am
rogers3 wrote: March 8th, 2020, 11:32 pm A couple extra floggings won't hurt.
I actually love the new arena for all of the volleyball, WBB games and most of the MBB games. I just wish they would play in Vines a couple times a year for big games that the school knows in advance will be big draws due to calendar placement and/or opponent. Every time something like that is mentioned, it gets bashed on here like that is the stupidest thing you could possibly do (nevermind that there are lots of schools that have done this type of strategy very successfully for years). I'm taking some comfort in the fact that the new Vines roof design is showing the athletics logo on the roof, not the regular school logo. It makes me think that using Vines again for athletics is definitely on the table.
What you are overlooking is the fact that there is more to a home court advantage than just the crowd. Your team is familiar and comfortable with the overall environment, including the shooting "backdrop". You lose that when you move an occasional game to a venue which is drastically different. It may be a home crowd, but it's essentially a neutral court. JLFJR initially thought it would be a good idea. Ritchie "coached him up".
Purple Haize liked this
By BlueBlood
oldflame wrote: March 9th, 2020, 8:01 am What you are overlooking is the fact that there is more to a home court advantage than just the crowd. Your team is familiar and comfortable with the overall environment, including the shooting "backdrop". You lose that when you move an occasional game to a venue which is drastically different. It may be a home crowd, but it's essentially a neutral court. JLFJR initially thought it would be a good idea. Ritchie "coached him up".
Understood. When I lived up north I used to go to a lot of Big East games. Watched Nova, St Johns and G-town do this.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Liberty has never been able to get a "good reading" or even an honest reading on basketball attendance because of the lack of parking. I would have loved to see one more season in Vines Center after completion of the new parking garage.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: March 9th, 2020, 8:19 am
oldflame wrote: March 9th, 2020, 8:01 am What you are overlooking is the fact that there is more to a home court advantage than just the crowd. Your team is familiar and comfortable with the overall environment, including the shooting "backdrop". You lose that when you move an occasional game to a venue which is drastically different. It may be a home crowd, but it's essentially a neutral court. JLFJR initially thought it would be a good idea. Ritchie "coached him up".
Understood. When I lived up north I used to go to a lot of Big East games. Watched Nova, St Johns and G-town do this.
Georgetown's on campus facility only seats 2,500, and they play all their home games at Capital 1 Arena. Villanova, St. Johns and some others have moved more and more games from huge off campus arenas to their smaller on campus venues. Gonzaga, the best comparison for us, has totally stopped using the 12,000 seat Spokane Civic Center and plays all their home games in a 6,000 seat on campus facility.
By Class of 20Something
BlueBlood wrote: March 9th, 2020, 8:00 am BTW - can anyone think of a venue that successfully transforms from one size to another - depending upon need/use? I'm not talking about covering whole seating sections with tarps or hanging big curtains - something more purposefully built to transform. A quality variable-size arena seems like something that should have been designed by now - I just can't think of an example.
John Paul Jones
Purple Haize liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 9th, 2020, 8:35 am Liberty has never been able to get a "good reading" or even an honest reading on basketball attendance because of the lack of parking. I would have loved to see one more season in Vines Center after completion of the new parking garage.
As usual, you are confusing how everyone thinks with how you do.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
John Jones' place is unique in that Jones family gave lot of money to build it, and some private company manages it.
By cruzan_flame13
Not sure why this is so hard for people to accept; this new arena is beneficial athletically, financially and domestically. We want to become a national program and we nee to take all the advantages that we create for ourselves. What's important, having teams come into our fully packed arena nervous because it's so loud or having a little more of attendees once in awhile in a arena that would not look that threatening? Even if we transition into a better conference and gain more national respect, I hope that we stay in the Liberty Arena that will create a traditional atmosphere that people will appreciate more locally and even nationally(make the hater even more angry). Lets make the opponent know when the step on Coach McKay's Court, that it will not be easy and the crowd can easily manipulate their focus. This isn't hard guys; I think McKay knows what's best for the team more than we do Play Basketball .
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: March 9th, 2020, 9:13 am
ballcoach15 wrote: March 9th, 2020, 8:35 am Liberty has never been able to get a "good reading" or even an honest reading on basketball attendance because of the lack of parking. I would have loved to see one more season in Vines Center after completion of the new parking garage.
Apparently you have never been to a basketball game at Vines Center.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Huh?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 9th, 2020, 9:22 am
BC, you’re a complete whack job. Go ahead, mods: ban me. Personal attack, right here!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 9th, 2020, 9:22 am
You're only off by a few hundred. :roll:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
manson- can you confirm any NCAA reg which requires mens/womens hoops play in the same venue?

I thought I remembered it being mentioned in the past that it was a title IX thing they had to do so
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
PAmedic wrote: March 9th, 2020, 12:39 pm manson- can you confirm any NCAA reg which requires mens/womens hoops play in the same venue?

I thought I remembered it being mentioned in the past that it was a title IX thing they had to do so
No that's not the case. UNC, for one, plays in different arenas for WBB & MBB.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]