If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Class of 20Something
tyndal23 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 12:44 am Do we have the only wooden floor in America that has to be “ torn out “ and doesn’t come out in sections in about 45 minutes ?
It very well may, but how many man hours does that take to do? 45 minutes for a crew of twenty to pull and install twice is almost $750 at $12/hr.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Speaking of future predicting, I predict once the facility opens and doubters experience it, several minds will change.

And some never will. The comfort of a recliner and the convenience of the refrigerator just won’t be beat, and that’s ok.

I’m reminded of stories about admins approaching Krzyzewski when Duke took off about a bigger arena. He said absolutely not. Then when they remodeled and added the adjacent practice facility, they at least wanted to add AC to Cameron, and K said absolutely not.

He gets it.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 12:35 pm Speaking of future predicting, I predict once the facility opens and doubters experience it, several minds will change.

And some never will. The comfort of a recliner and the convenience of the refrigerator just won’t be beat, and that’s ok.

I’m reminded of stories about admins approaching Krzyzewski when Duke took off about a bigger arena. He said absolutely not. Then when they remodeled and added the adjacent practice facility, they at least wanted to add AC to Cameron, and K said absolutely not.

He gets it.
FYI, Air Conditioning was added to Cameron in 2002, well before the practice facility opened in 2008.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 10:31 pm
JK37 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 12:35 pm Then when they remodeled and added the adjacent practice facility, they at least wanted to add AC to Cameron, and K said absolutely not.
FYI, Air Conditioning was added to Cameron in 2002, well before the practice facility opened in 2008.
JK and his sources. He sounds more like Ballcoach everyday! :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: February 10th, 2020, 8:57 am
adam42381 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 10:31 pm
JK37 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 12:35 pm Then when they remodeled and added the adjacent practice facility, they at least wanted to add AC to Cameron, and K said absolutely not.
JK and his sources. He sounds more like Ballcoach everyday! :lol:
In his defense it’s really really hot in there. Calling games there you swear buckets. I’m sure the auxiliary places have AC. But the gym seems under serviced in the HVAC area
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I want to put my name on a list to receive a piece of the old vines floor , or even a couple chairs, when they remodel or rip it out.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Lets play Lynchburg for a sell out crowd. LOL. Rogers got into that beer fridge a little too much the last couple of days.
By tyndal23
thepostman wrote: February 15th, 2020, 9:14 am
tyndal23 wrote: February 14th, 2020, 12:56 pm Good article. Reinforcing my “ extreme limit” on season ticket allotment.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5654939/w ... -draw-fans
Exactly. Our AD has a good idea of the trend around live attendance for major conference events.
I am sure he does, but are you aware of any Program limiting season tix to bare minimum? Seems like they all get the easy $ and then scratch their heads at the empty seats. Casual fans with $ who want to “support” by buying season tix ( partly because they are a really good deal and often promoted with football club package type deals ) actually hurt the program or perception of the program when seats go empty. If the LU environment is as compelling as we expect it to be - shouldn’t we be counting on 3500 students fighting over tix every home game. Big picture - 1k season tix per game sold vs 1k actual fans in seats - what is the actual $ over a season - tv image with full arena ( recruiting impact ) etc. Again - adjust weekend tix with a ratio of less students and more family packages but those all come from the GA allotment. Students much more likely to attend weeknight games than families/locals.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 10:40 am
thepostman wrote: February 15th, 2020, 9:14 am
tyndal23 wrote: February 14th, 2020, 12:56 pm Good article. Reinforcing my “ extreme limit” on season ticket allotment.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5654939/w ... -draw-fans
Exactly. Our AD has a good idea of the trend around live attendance for major conference events.
I am sure he does, but are you aware of any Program limiting season tix to bare minimum? Seems like they all get the easy $ and then scratch their heads at the empty seats. Casual fans with $ who want to “support” by buying season tix ( partly because they are a really good deal and often promoted with football club package type deals ) actually hurt the program or perception of the program when seats go empty. If the LU environment is as compelling as we expect it to be - shouldn’t we be counting on 3500 students fighting over tix every home game. Big picture - 1k season tix per game sold vs 1k actual fans in seats - what is the actual $ over a season - tv image with full arena ( recruiting impact ) etc. Again - adjust weekend tix with a ratio of less students and more family packages but those all come from the GA allotment. Students much more likely to attend weeknight games than families/locals.
Not sure on the legality of this, but I like the idea of requiring season ticket holders to agree to some sort of "usage" requirement, where they agree to let the ticket office know if they are not planning to attend a game so those seats could be either sold or distributed to students on a waiting list.
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m not sure you can put a “usage penalty” in a season ticket contract. It would go over like a lead balloon. Now what you could do is provide a clearinghouse where season ticket holders can unload their tickets if they aren’t going to use them. Lots (all?) Pro teams do this already. Not sure how effective it would be on LU’s scale but it would provide the solutions you’re looking for
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 15th, 2020, 8:26 pm I’m not sure you can put a “usage penalty” in a season ticket contract. It would go over like a lead balloon. Now what you could do is provide a clearinghouse where season ticket holders can unload their tickets if they aren’t going to use them. Lots (all?) Pro teams do this already. Not sure how effective it would be on LU’s scale but it would provide the solutions you’re looking for
You're probably right. Better to have some sort of incentive for them to either attend or do something to see to it the seats are used rather than try to penalize not doing it. Maybe a discount on the next season for 100% usage?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: February 15th, 2020, 8:55 pm
Purple Haize wrote: February 15th, 2020, 8:26 pm I’m not sure you can put a “usage penalty” in a season ticket contract. It would go over like a lead balloon. Now what you could do is provide a clearinghouse where season ticket holders can unload their tickets if they aren’t going to use them. Lots (all?) Pro teams do this already. Not sure how effective it would be on LU’s scale but it would provide the solutions you’re looking for
You're probably right. Better to have some sort of incentive for them to either attend or do something to see to it the seats are used rather than try to penalize not doing it. Maybe a discount on the next season for 100% usage?
So for instance, at the Thomas and Mack center. People rent out their Luxury Boxes for the PBR series and recoup just about enough money to rent one the following year. My nephew did the same with UNC season tickets for several years. He’d make enough off the Duke game to pay for the tickets for the year. In either case, the sell any more events/games they make money, the facility is occupied and everyone is happy
(I also had a nice deal for season passes for concerts in Bristow one year)
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: February 15th, 2020, 9:07 pm
oldflame wrote: February 15th, 2020, 8:55 pm
So for instance, at the Thomas and Mack center. People rent out their Luxury Boxes for the PBR series and recoup just about enough money to rent one the following year. My nephew did the same with UNC season tickets for several years. He’d make enough off the Duke game to pay for the tickets for the year. In either case, the sell any more events/games they make money, the facility is occupied and everyone is happy
(I also had a nice deal for season passes for concerts in Bristow one year)
The 200 Club Seats are sort of a different deal than talking about Season Tix. For season tix - I would sell courtside seats at a high $ ( LU keeps a half dozen to give away each game to big visitors VIP or faculty reward ) and space out the remaining season tix ( not a huge block but intermixed with GA ) so that entire sections never appear empty. Even doing that I would still take the philosophy of making the number very small and the price very steep ( making it a push financially ). Then the next level club/loyal points type fans who don’t want to pay big $ still get preferential dibs on next tier of tix - they just won’t be assigned seats each game, but GA tickets which if not sold out by 24 hours to tip off convert to Student Tix.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Spacing GA with season tickets is a horrible idea. You want to encourage Season ticket sales. If I have a good chance of going to one game and getting as good a seat as the person who dropped the coin for a season package, why would I not? And if I was the person paying for season tickets you’ve just devalued my seat and loyalty
Converting GA to student tickets is a little different. But if I want to bring my Family to a game I’m not sure I want to be surrounded by a bunch of kids either. Maybe opening up student blocks that are unsold GA. All being dependent on what the average walk up tally is every game.
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: February 15th, 2020, 10:18 pm Spacing GA with season tickets is a horrible idea. You want to encourage Season ticket sales. If I have a good chance of going to one game and getting as good a seat as the person who dropped the coin for a season package, why would I not? And if I was the person paying for season tickets you’ve just devalued my seat and loyalty
Converting GA to student tickets is a little different. But if I want to bring my Family to a game I’m not sure I want to be surrounded by a bunch of kids either. Maybe opening up student blocks that are unsold GA. All being dependent on what the average walk up tally is every game.
Season tix - advantage - same seats every time ( just not same neighbors ). I would map out the season tix in blocks of 2-4 etc on same row as GA. Look at Vines season tix section - it is a mass of red backed chairs in a section empty with seats in surrounding sections full - that is the look u want to avoid.
By tyndal23
Btw I am watching Loyola CHI at home vs N Iowa - about the first mid major game / venue I have seen all year with big noise and packed crowd - sounds better than most P5 games. Great Energy !!!
By Class of 20Something
Radical idea. Student section is the only GA. Everything else is reserved. If it doesn’t sell in season tickets, they’re reserved seats with higher price points in attractive sections.
Purple Haize liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote: February 15th, 2020, 9:04 am Lets play Lynchburg for a sell out crowd. LOL. Rogers got into that beer fridge a little too much the last couple of days.
Don't have a beer fridge, but I'd wager that Lynchburg would outdraw some of our conference opponents. Lynchburg is close in size to a couple of our conference rivals and-maybe you didn't know this- they happen to have a local fan base. When we played Randolph in 2011, the game drew more than this season's North Ala. game. The point is that it probably isn't so hard to sell out a "Big South Ready" facility! :wink:
LUOrange liked this
By Class of 20Something
cruzan_flame13 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 11:57 pm Oh here we go again smh lol
No kidding. Build the largest thing you can get 75% full on winter break.

Rogers, you're barely missing the right conclusion. The arena isn't an indictment of the health of the program, it's an indictment of the fanbase that has not supported the team for years.
Purple Haize liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 10:36 pm Btw I am watching Loyola CHI at home vs N Iowa - about the first mid major game / venue I have seen all year with big noise and packed crowd - sounds better than most P5 games. Great Energy !!!
4500 seat arena. This is a basketball program with a long and storied history in a huge market who played in the final 4 just 2 years ago. It also just so happens they play the same defense we do.

Our crowd last night was 4700 Jeb Bush clones.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]