If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Message boards are for opinions. You post yours, I post mine. ball game.

(First Amendment)
There's your problem. You think this board exists for you to spout your always unsupported, and often uninformed opinions. It's not. It's about discussion of things Liberty, and when in the course of that discussion we give an opinion and don't support it, we should expect to be called on it. I certainly hope that when and if any of these venues is named, it will be to honor someone like the people we have mentioned here, who have brought positive recognition to LU by their achievements and how they have represented it, not to give naming rights for a corporate or personal donor (unless the funds are NEEDED) or recognize someone just because he is President of the United States and you happen to like him as you have proposed.
Last edited by olldflame on March 22nd, 2018, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Who cares. Just ignore the posts if they bother you. I cant go through one thread without reading the same who cares what you think. Its equally annoying.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Who cares. Just ignore the posts if they bother you. I cant go through one thread without reading the same who cares what you think. Its equally annoying.

Look who has lectures. :roll:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have never understood why some posters on this (and other) message boards get their panties in a wad when someone posts something they do not agree with. People who get mad with other posters should enroll in Anger Management Class.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have never understood why some posters on this (and other) message boards get their panties in a wad when someone posts something they do not agree with. People who get mad with other posters should enroll in Anger Management Class.
Not angry. Tidy whities are totally in order. Once again, you reserve the First Amendment right to express your opinion, and then when someone does not agree and calls you on the fact that you seldom if ever support your opinions with facts, you imply they have an anger management problem.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
One can disagree with another without being angry. I’m with olldflame on this one.

You’re entitled to speak aloud per your first amendment rights.

You’re only entitled to an opinion if you can defend it.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Message boards are for opinions. You post yours, I post mine. ball game.

(First Amendment)
A big part of posting your opinion on a message board is for the debating of ideas. As long as it doesn't get into name calling or questioning your heritage and brain capacity, you should expect to be disagreed with and read counter arguments to your opinion. That is the other person expressing their opinion about your opinion. You are free to tell them why they are wrong, in your opinion, as well.
Ballcoach, I enjoy reading your posts, even the many I disagree with, because it really at times is the only interesting thing going on here.
Carry on my wayward son.
By Class of 20Something
olldflame wrote:My dream "naming scenario"

1. Jeff Meyer Court at the Liberty Vines Center
To be announced when he is inducted into the HOF

2. Carey Green Court at Liberty Arena
We could drop that on him when he retires.

3. Ritchie McKay Arena
In about 15 years, with 400 plus wins (at Liberty) and an NCAA championship on his resume'. 8)
I'll have what you're having. So much to agree with here.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:Dale Gibson is really smart and a fine Christian phys-ed professor. He took the job as HC of the basketball team somewhat reluctantly following the one year failed Skeeter Swift experiment. He coached our basketball team for 3 years and had a record of 48-46. Yes, we won the NCCAA championship and went 28-11 his second year. Then Carl Hess (Dan Manley recruit) and Ed Vickers (Skeeter Swift recruit) graduated, and we went 5-19, after which Dale decided to go back to the classroom and we hired this baby-faced 26 year old guy from Indiana.

If they want to name a Physical Education building after someone, Dale would be a great choice, although so would David Horton, Linda Farver, and either Bob or Brenda Bonhiem.
He wasn’t a Phys Ed instructor
He was when he "coached" my 1 CR Bowling (PHED) course in the mid 80s. Got an A, by the way.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
He taught the basketball class I took in 75 when he was also an assistant basketball coach under Dan Manley. Purple is correct in saying that once the Sport Management program was begun, that was his primary focus.

Dale no doubt could have leveraged that championship year into at least a couple more years as our coach, but I distinctly remember his humility and vision for the future when he resigned. He basically said he did not consider himself to be a career coach, but rather a teacher, and we needed someone like that to take the program where we wanted to go. Enter Jeff Meyer, who at the time was the youngest college basketball head coach in the country at 26.
Last edited by olldflame on March 22nd, 2018, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By cruzan_flame13
Seems like this thread is getting dry, but I hope I'm wrong. I can't wait for the ceremonial event when they start the digging for the new arena. Someone mentioned calling the new arena as the Fire Pit; not bad for the nickname next to the Vines a.k.a the Furnace.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We all know ballcoach says crazy things sometimes. We all also know you dont care what he thinks. I just dont see the need to tell him hes crazy every single thread. Hes not going to change so...
Carry on
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Sometimes people tell me to post things just to rile up the board.
So you are easily manipulated and just do what people tell you?

What name is not being mentioned?
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
My daughter refers to the tower as the “LCA Scholarship Memorial Tower.”

Maybe something like “University Competitive Wage Memorial Arena.”
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:As for naming new arena, the best way to go may be to sell naming rights. That way building gets a name, and LU gets some $$$$$$.
That's what some other schools/teams have done.
I think JLFJR has shown he prefers not to go this route, and I tend to agree with him in our current circumstances. Apparently the funds are there without it, and this way a major donor, whether private or corporate, cannot use that leverage to try to exert influence over future decisions. It's something we had to do in the past, and we were blessed with wonderful christian donors like Art Williams, Art DeMoss, and Tim LaHaye, who for the most part did not attach strings to their gifts, but that's not always how it turns out.
OK, guys, had a meeting today and decided to build the new parking garage across the bypass simultaneously with the expansion of the Vines. I suggested the idea a year or so ago of building the parking garage on top of the existing public frontage road so that the road runs through the parking garage. This will allow us to build a parking garage large enough that parking will never be an issue at LU again while allowing us to demolish only 2 dorms on Campus East. We broke ground today on the new highway off ramp from US 460/29 bypass eastbound lane to accompany the existing on ramp. A roundabout will serve these two ramps. This means locals will be able to use the bypass to enter the parking garage, take the elevator down to the pedestrian tunnel under the bypass to the arena, then return without hassel. I think this will greatly increase attendance at games. Also, please go back and read the articles announcing this project as an EXPANSION of the Vines Center. That means the new facility will still be called the Vines Center. I like some of the ideas here of naming the different courts after certain people who were instrumental in making LU and its athletics program what it is today and, olldflame, you're right. LU is in a different place now. We can name facilities after donors without fear of strings being attached. If donors step forward, there are plenty of naming opportunities for this facility and others. The new Rawlings School of Divinity is a prime example. The Rawlings family has the purest of motives in helping LU and you are also correct that the three donors you mentioned never tried to exert undue influence even though they easily could have when they made their donations because LU was struggling financially in those days. If any school is going to stay true to its mission, it has to have adequate financial resources. Otherwise, there is great danger of donors buying influence and changing the school's direction. That's how many private universities went astray in this country over the last few centuries. In fact, even if the donor is completely innocent and has no ulterior motives, donors always have business associates and relatives who sometimes try to take advantage. That didn't happen at LU even when we were in desperate financial straits only because God protected Liberty - just my opinion for what it's worth.
By cruzan_flame13
This is some great news! So glad about the progress that is being made and more to come in the near future! Thanks again for the information!
By Jonathan Carone
JLFJR wrote:Also, please go back and read the articles announcing this project as an EXPANSION of the Vines Center. That means the new facility will still be called the Vines Center.
I totally missed that part of it. Glad it won't just be Liberty Arena.

As for the other stuff about donors - I've been all in on that concept since I first heard you say it when I was in undergrad.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Seems like this thread is getting dry, but I hope I'm wrong. I can't wait for the ceremonial event when they start the digging for the new arena. Someone mentioned calling the new arena as the Fire Pit; not bad for the nickname next to the Vines a.k.a the Furnace.
Well, Hurt and Proffitt was drilling core samples in the lot where Vines is being expanded, so something is already happening.
By cruzan_flame13
rogers3 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Seems like this thread is getting dry, but I hope I'm wrong. I can't wait for the ceremonial event when they start the digging for the new arena. Someone mentioned calling the new arena as the Fire Pit; not bad for the nickname next to the Vines a.k.a the Furnace.
Well, Hurt and Proffitt was drilling core samples in the lot where Vines is being expanded, so something is already happening.
Thanks for the update. I wonder if this project can be finished before the 2020 season? Probably not, but things sure seems to be built quickly on campus.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yep. Parking is the #1 reason that keeps me from coming to more games. Great move
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple, it's a short walk from the current parking garage to the Vines.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]