If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jonathan Carone
JLFJR wrote:Correct. That parking lot is all fill dirt so it is easy to dig down. Not sure what you mean about expanding down the road. I can’t imagine we will ever need a basketball arena with more seats than Vines. Did I miss something?
I was just dreaming down the line when football gets to the level we all want it to get to and hopefully other sports have moved to a better league. By that time, Vines will be even older and would need a total renovation to move basketball back in there full time. Given the issues we’ve faced with Vines being multipurpose, I didn’t know if this was being built with future expansion possibilities, even if not likely.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR wrote:Ian’s email was meant for the question about the student section not the Golden Corral question
That’s what I figured! But we need chairs for the ‘Fuller Figured Baptist’

And I will in no way use Ian’s email when I sign up or order stuff online...........
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
Jon, When that day comes, a second level of seating and a new roof is the plan for Vines. Good question!
By Jonathan Carone
JLFJR wrote:Jon, When that day comes, a second level of seating and a new roof is the plan for Vines. Good question!
Which would also allow for more suites/loge seating too. I knew you guys would have a plan, just didn’t know what it was. Thanks!
By Old Red
Fantastic plan & really appreciate the extra input JLFJR!
I do have a question based on some of the pictures posted with the announcement. Is the Vines Center going to get a new facade & roof?
The pictures make it look like the dome is shorter & covered with a different type of roofing material. Is that correct?
It’d go a long way improving the appearance, & “We The Champions” would look great on it.
Again, thanks for the extra input!
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
You are very observant. The exterior of Vines will be upgraded significantly with a new membrane or coating on the roof panels and red brick but the exact nature of the upgrade is still in planning stages.
By mlschubert
Registration Days Posts
Of all the recent athletics projects, I think this will have the biggest impact. The recent Radford-Liberty game day atmosphere was phenomenal. I expect that level of energy will become the norm for home games. The location is perfect. Thank you for making this happen!
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I just hope we can figure out a way to name it something other than Liberty Arena. Having everything as Liberty Baseball Stadium, Liberty Softball Stadium, and Liberty Arena feels so pedestrian and high school-ish. Having a named building will give it some added character.
Just pony up some big $ and they will name it the Carone Center if you want them to. 8)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
My take on the student section.

While the posiblities are unlimited, by way of example, I would like to point out 2 approaches, the Carolina Model and the Duke Model.

Largely because of the huge amount of donor funds raised to build the Dean Dome, there are a boatload of major donors who have basically guaranteed courtside seats for life and a ton more who have the option on seats close to the court on the sidelines. Students are located in 4 sections on the baseline. 2 close to the court and 2 in the upper level directly above them. They are sections 116, 117, 216 and 217 on this map:

https://blog.tickpick.com/interactive-d ... t_Sections

At Duke, virtually the entire lower level is reserved for students and family/friends of Duke and visiting players with a few sections of reserved seating. It looks like this:

http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/web-docs ... or_Map.pdf

Although UNC has made some progress away from the "wine and cheese" atmosphere that existed when the Dean Dome was first built, The difference is still not in much dispute. The Cameron Crazies being right on top of the court provide a much bigger home court advantage for the Dukies.

My first thought on the Liberty Arena is to reserve the retractable courtside seats on one side for students on a first come first serve basis. On the other side, have at least several rows of premium reserved seats closest to the court. Flames Club members would get first shot at purchasing these, or some might get them as a benefit of their donation. Perhaps the entire section could be assigned for this if demand is great enough, but if not the upper rows could also be used for students. Once these are filled, remaining students would go in the upper level on the student side. The goal should be to create a culture where having one of those seats in the lower level is considered a privilege, and ultimately you could have lines of students camping out to get them like you see in Durham.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I haven't been to the Vines in over 6 years, so someone correct me if I am out of date. I don't remember there being restrooms or concessions in the location shown on the new map. If that is still the case, those would be new, right?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:My take on the student section.

While the posiblities are unlimited, by way of example, I would like to point out 2 approaches, the Carolina Model and the Duke Model.

Largely because of the huge amount of donor funds raised to build the Dean Dome, there are a boatload of major donors who have basically guaranteed courtside seats for life and a ton more who have the option on seats close to the court on the sidelines. Students are located in 4 sections on the baseline. 2 close to the court and 2 in the upper level directly above them. They are sections 116, 117, 216 and 217 on this map:

https://blog.tickpick.com/interactive-d ... t_Sections

At Duke, virtually the entire lower level is reserved for students and family/friends of Duke and visiting players with a few sections of reserved seating. It looks like this:

http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/web-docs ... or_Map.pdf

Although UNC has made some progress away from the "wine and cheese" atmosphere that existed when the Dean Dome was first built, The difference is still not in much dispute. The Cameron Crazies being right on top of the court provide a much bigger home court advantage for the Dukies.

My first thought on the Liberty Arena is to reserve the retractable courtside seats on one side for students on a first come first serve basis. On the other side, have at least several rows of premium reserved seats closest to the court. Flames Club members would get first shot at purchasing these, or some might get them as a benefit of their donation. Perhaps the entire section could be assigned for this if demand is great enough, but if not the upper rows could also be used for students. Once these are filled, remaining students would go in the upper level on the student side. The goal should be to create a culture where having one of those seats in the lower level is considered a privilege, and ultimately you could have lines of students camping out to get them like you see in Durham.
Agree with everything you just said! Would love to see them over the players and give it a duke type atmosphere.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
After JLFJR's comments and those of some others, I am warming to the idea of the new arena for MBB. I had not considered the comparison to Duke and some other ideas mentioned. I would still like to see us fill the Vines, but the idea of limiting the attendance, kinda puts more of a urgency/priority on acquiring tickets and create a better atmosphere.
Last edited by flameshaw on March 18th, 2018, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I haven't been to the Vines in over 6 years, so someone correct me if I am out of date. I don't remember there being restrooms or concessions in the location shown on the new map. If that is still the case, those would be new, right?
Olldflame, right now, the Vines Center has 2 areas of concessions--one near where it's located on the map, and another one behind the students' side. The odd thing is, now the concession stand on the "Baptist side" has bathrooms on each end of the concessions, which is exactly opposite of how it's shown on the map.

Thankfully, the new arena shows 4 concession stands in an arena half the size of the Vines, which should mean shorter lines for food. :clapping
By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
Pumped for this! Perfect solution in my eyes and really hope they go all out with the money here! Though football is the money feeder, solid basketball environment will only help students get used to the idea of showing up and showing out for all athletic events. Plus, RECRUITING!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Very happy with the change in location. Everyone on ASOR deserves a YUGE round of applause for voicing your concerns here about the originally planned location. The people that matter read what you write here, and it is certainly my belief that your voices were heavily considered on this change.

Looking forward to seeing Dunton Arena rocking soon. :lol:
:rofl :rofl

Why not Hankenson Arena?

Jeff Meyer
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Very happy with the change in location. Everyone on ASOR deserves a YUGE round of applause for voicing your concerns here about the originally planned location. The people that matter read what you write here, and it is certainly my belief that your voices were heavily considered on this change.

I'd prefer Hanky's Place at Liberty Arena.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
olldflame wrote:I haven't been to the Vines in over 6 years, so someone correct me if I am out of date. I don't remember there being restrooms or concessions in the location shown on the new map. If that is still the case, those would be new, right?
Olldflame, right now, the Vines Center has 2 areas of concessions--one near where it's located on the map, and another one behind the students' side. The odd thing is, now the concession stand on the "Baptist side" has bathrooms on each end of the concessions, which is exactly opposite of how it's shown on the map.

Thankfully, the new arena shows 4 concession stands in an arena half the size of the Vines, which should mean shorter lines for food. :clapping
Not only that, but the concession areas and restrooms for the Vines are right next door if needed.

I can't believe you or Purple didn't bring up the need for hot nachos while we had JLFJR's attention. :mrgreen:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:

I'd prefer Hanky's Place at Liberty Arena.
Given a choice between those 2, so would I!

After further reflection, if we were to choose to honor Jeff Meyer, it would be more appropriate to name the Vines court after him, since he was the driving force behind building our program to the point where we needed a D1 facility, which led to it being built. Perhaps drop that on him at his HOF induction?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:...but the Nachos will still be cold, right Jim? :lol:
If we scouted out Troy's facility, I also hope we scouted High Point's food service, which has the best nachos in the Big South--piping hot cheese and chili and unlimited, self-serve Jalapenoes.

"If you build it [concessions with hot nachos], they will come."
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
alabama24 wrote:...but the Nachos will still be cold, right Jim? :lol:
If we scouted out Troy's facility, I also hope we scouted High Point's food service, which has the best nachos in the Big South--piping hot cheese and chili and unlimited, self-serve Jalapenoes. :shock:
I hear you, but our food service has in fact proven itself to be more than capable in other areas. I think they just need the proper "incentive" to step it up in the concessions. 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Trump Arena is gonna be Yuuuge. No steel from Chyna! It will be the best arena!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]