If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUAlum1215
LUAlum1215 wrote: November 20th, 2020, 10:55 am There was talk of a civic center a few years back that never got off the ground. They released some renderings of it in the field/parking lot behind the Lynchburg 911 center in front of TRBC, and another at the mall. I think the big hold up was the city not wanting to help fund it even though it would be available for city use as much as university use. I may be way off but that's how I remember it.
https://www.liberty.edu/news/2014/04/02 ... ic-center/
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m with @Jonathan Carone on this that I think we missed this by about 1k. It should be no surprise that there are plenty of good seats still available for those December Games against Christian Liberal Arts University. I’m sure a historical look back taking all games into account gave the Planners the number they built for, I’m just not convinced they were looking at the right numbers.
When it comes to the New Vines am I the only one connecting the dots between that and LU’s multiple efforts to build a Civic Center with the City? This seems like they are doing it on their own with the Vines. I could be wrong but it makes sense
LUOrange liked this
By LUAlum1215
Purple Haize wrote: November 20th, 2020, 11:26 am I’m with @Jonathan Carone on this that I think we missed this by about 1k. It should be no surprise that there are plenty of good seats still available for those December Games against Christian Liberal Arts University. I’m sure a historical look back taking all games into account gave the Planners the number they built for, I’m just not convinced they were looking at the right numbers.
When it comes to the New Vines am I the only one connecting the dots between that and LU’s multiple efforts to build a Civic Center with the City? This seems like they are doing it on their own with the Vines. I could be wrong but it makes sense
That's the plan. It was way cheaper to repurpose the Vines for complete use as an event/concert venue without athletics than to build a new civic center. If Jr were still running the ship I'd be willing to bet a newer facility would have been built somewhere else in the next few years to decade, but with him out and the reliance upon streaming/web based convo due to covid, I don't think the next president will push for that big of a project anytime soon.
LUOrange liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Smoothie posted some great pix online (FB) . Not just the arena but campus as a whole.
By tyndal23
A slight observation...

For those of you at the above linked game compared to ast tourney game in Liberty Arena - was it close from a noise level? I get it wasn’t a champ game and the play wasn’t stellar, but is LA living up to the hype/design ? Yes, I know Vines was dead all year before that final game in 20. From tv, it seemed it was much louder in LA vs rest of regular season, but most sitting down and NOT NEAR as loud as Vines champ game 2020. Just curious...
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Because the ceiling is so low, when Liberty Arena is packed, it sounds MUCH louder than the Vines Center. You can barely hear the person sitting next to you. And we love the pep band in there, too.
By LUOrange
The Little Arena gets pretty loud even without a full house, of course that is by design. I'm not quite sure what's up with the students as they're attendance has been more disappointing than the local crowd this year. When it has been full it has been real oud, from my seats I don't think it's been as loud as Cider has experienced, but that's my perspective. Overall,. the Little Arena is a really nice and fun environment. So you definitely need to make some games.

Obviously, I have a lot of sentiment towards the Vines Center, and look forward to our eventual return to it when we get to that level as a program. I've always felt there weren't many better MBB environments than a full Vines. I'd love to hear how loud a packed 8-10K Vines with it's new roof would be. I do wish that Liberty would just go ahead and renovate the Vines to make it a better and adjustable venue for Convo, concerts, and MBB, etc.
By tyndal23
Cider Jim wrote: March 5th, 2022, 8:07 am Because the ceiling is so low, when Liberty Arena is packed, it sounds MUCH louder than the Vines Center. You can barely hear the person sitting next to you. And we love the pep band in there, too.
Good to hear. TV often “lies”. May just be the microphone set up by production that makes it seem quiet. 78 % capacity certainly looks better than 38% vines capacity on tv.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 5th, 2022, 8:07 am Because the ceiling is so low, when Liberty Arena is packed, it sounds MUCH louder than the Vines Center. You can barely hear the person sitting next to you. And we love the pep band in there, too.
And you can't hear McCracken (except at the women's games).
LUOrange, alabama24 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: March 5th, 2022, 2:19 pm The Little Arena gets pretty loud even without a full house, of course that is by design. I'm not quite sure what's up with the students as they're attendance has been more disappointing than the local crowd this year. When it has been full it has been real oud, from my seats I don't think it's been as loud as Cider has experienced, but that's my perspective. Overall,. the Little Arena is a really nice and fun environment. So you definitely need to make some games.

Obviously, I have a lot of sentiment towards the Vines Center, and look forward to our eventual return to it when we get to that level as a program. I've always felt there weren't many better MBB environments than a full Vines. I'd love to hear how loud a packed 8-10K Vines with it's new roof would be. I do wish that Liberty would just go ahead and renovate the Vines to make it a better and adjustable venue for Convo, concerts, and MBB, etc.
I hope we never return to Vines. Build a bigger one if need be. Let Vines stay convo.

Better:
Carrier Dome
Dean Dome
Cameron
The Palestra
The Pit
The Pyramid
Kentucky
Auburn
Charleston
Morgantown
Kansas
UVA
MSG
NC State
Florida
Illinois
Michigan State
UCLA
Wofford
Maine
Maryland
Tennessee
UGA
Gonzaga
St. Mary’s

All venues I’ve experienced at or near capacity, better than Vines. And I love Vines. Best I ever saw it was mid-90’s Meyer-era hosting Big South.
olldflame, jimflamesfan liked this
By tyndal23
LA sounds loud on tv tonight - all game. Don’t think tv has been lying, crowds have just been subdued comparatively.
JK37 liked this
By tyndal23
Ian, love you, best AD in the biz. Suggestion, either take out the first 5-8 pullout “seated rows”. behind team and scorer bench, replace with 5-8 pull out bleacher/ non seat back high school/ Duke rows OR switch the camera angle view and do it on the other side like Duke. TV impression is EVERYTHING today. Make students compete to be in the tv shot and crazy.
LUOrange, JK37 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 12:23 am Ian, love you, best AD in the biz. Suggestion, either take out the first 5-8 pullout “seated rows”. behind team and scorer bench, replace with 5-8 pull out bleacher/ non seat back high school/ Duke rows OR switch the camera angle view and do it on the other side like Duke. TV impression is EVERYTHING today. Make students compete to be in the tv shot and crazy.
Michigan State is a goood example, too. In both cases, it happened because the MBB coach wanted it that way. Could be the same here: our coach wanted a new, smaller arena, and he got one.
LUOrange liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 12:23 am Ian, love you, best AD in the biz. Suggestion, either take out the first 5-8 pullout “seated rows”. behind team and scorer bench, replace with 5-8 pull out bleacher/ non seat back high school/ Duke rows OR switch the camera angle view and do it on the other side like Duke. TV impression is EVERYTHING today. Make students compete to be in the tv shot and crazy.
Fancy high school gym.
By tyndal23
rogers3 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 3:33 pm
Fancy high school gym.
Exactly what we are doing in football. Student section remains bleachers so they can pack in - rest will be old fart seats...
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 8:01 am
Michigan State is a goood example, too. In both cases, it happened because the MBB coach wanted it that way. Could be the same here: our coach wanted a new, smaller arena, and he got one.
I like it. We can do just one side, big difference in atmosphere, no one sees the bleachers when they are packed with peeps.

https://msuspartans.com/images/2008/7/2 ... -201-U.jpg
By Liberty_2023
About how many Alumni live in Lynchburg? I’m curious because with recent success and soon to be improved conference competition I hope basketball would start selling out most home games. Maybe in the next few seasons….
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty_2023 wrote: July 20th, 2022, 11:52 am About how many Alumni live in Lynchburg? I’m curious because with recent success and soon to be improved conference competition I hope basketball would start selling out most home games. Maybe in the next few seasons….
Season ticket sales have been going well. Heck even I bought a pair for Men and Women. (Full disclosure this is only the 2nd time in 30 years we’ve had nothing else going on during Basketball season so..)
By Ill flame
Liberty_2023 wrote: July 20th, 2022, 11:52 am About how many Alumni live in Lynchburg? I’m curious because with recent success and soon to be improved conference competition I hope basketball would start selling out most home games. Maybe in the next few seasons….
We shouldn't even need many alumni at games to sellout with how big our student population is compared to capacity. I think it's reasonable to expect more people to be interested in playing teams with more name recognition like nmsu that makes the tourney every year but hopefully having a more competitive conference schedule helps too. 7 of our 12 conference wins were won by 10 or more points which is fun sometimes (especially if we were playing good teams) but wouldn't make me want to go out and buy season tickets.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Maybe now I’ll get a shot at an Upward Team!
By Liberty_2023
I purchased and read "The Almanac 22-23" basketball preview digital magazine. In an anonymous poll of the ASUN coaches Liberty Arena was selected as the leagues "Best Home Court Advantage." Pretty cool!
Cider Jim, Baybird liked this
NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]