If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
oldflame wrote:Wow, why didn't I think of this before? VMI was our opponent for the opening of the Vine's Center! Perfect historical symmetry and just the kind of matchup we want.
I like the military theme, but how about if upgrade a little and invite Navy or Army to the little Vines? :usa
I hear you, but we have zero history with Army in basketball and only a bit with Navy. VMI is a team we have a long history with, and they are just up 501. They have lots of local alum, and could probably bring a group of cadets in uniform as well.

Most importantly, they are the team we played to open the Vines. I think it would be a great bit of deja voux to open the new arena with the same opponent.

Not unimportant is the fact that they are someone we can probably beat.
I like where your Head is at. Plus throw some money their way and they’d do it
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
For the record, I'd be fine with us playing VMI, too. :usa We used to love playing them in Quiz Bowl, when we were both in the Big South. Study
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Is there any other non conference series that we know of? GSU wrapped up this year. Navy coming our way next year and series with radford starting. Those are the only ones that im aware of.

I still wouldnt rule out another christian coach throwing ritchie a bone. I believe thats how clemson ended up on the schedule back in the day. I dont see ritchie and tony wanting to play each other and i wouldnt want vt due to all the chokie fans that would show up since we havent proven we will protect our home floor yet.

2020 we obviously lose most of the core of this years team but i think were on track to be better as we continue to add size and athleticism. As young as weve been its hard to imagine only cuffee mcghee and mcdowell would be around in 20 from the current group.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Is there any other non conference series that we know of? GSU wrapped up this year. Navy coming our way next year and series with radford starting. Those are the only ones that im aware of.

I still wouldnt rule out another christian coach throwing ritchie a bone. I believe thats how clemson ended up on the schedule back in the day. I dont see ritchie and tony wanting to play each other and i wouldnt want vt due to all the chokie fans that would show up since we havent proven we will protect our home floor yet.

2020 we obviously lose most of the core of this years team but i think were on track to be better as we continue to add size and athleticism. As young as weve been its hard to imagine only cuffee mcghee and mcdowell would be around in 20 from the current group.
I'm not aware of any at present. Historically, Ritchie fills out much of the pre-conference schedule with tournaments and "classics". Then there are the 2 or 3 non-D1 games a lot of people complain about. Not a lot of non-conference home and homes. There are no doubt some high-major coaches who would be willing to play us in that opener with a return game at their place. I personally don't think that's a good idea.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:I would definitely love to see a regular series with Grand Canyon.

Not as the opener for the new arena though.
Totally agree on both counts.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
According to my sources, UVA and Liberty will not be playing each other in regular season as long as both team's coaches remain as they are now.

I despise UVA, but they would sell out new arena, and several thousand fans would be left without a ticket. Same for Virginia Tech. I say bring in Coastal Carolina, Wake Forest , Army or a SEC school.
Last edited by ballcoach15 on March 4th, 2019, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:According to my sources, LU and Liberty will not be playing each other in regular season as long as both team's coaches remain as they are now.
Who is the LU you refer to in the above quote?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:According to my sources, LU and Liberty will not be playing each other in regular season as long as both team's coaches remain as they are now.
Who is the LU you refer to in the above quote?
Typo, should have said, UVA and Liberty.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:According to my sources, UVA and Liberty will not be playing each other in regular season as long as both team's coaches remain as they are now.

I despise UVA, but they would sell out new arena, and several thousand fans would be left without a ticket. Same for Virginia Tech. I say bring in Coastal Carolina, Wake Forest , Army or a SEC school.
Apparently your infamous sources know more than either Ritchie McKay or Tony Bennett, because both have been asked and neither of them ruled it out. Do I expect it any time soon? No.

As I stated earlier, I agree that UVA and VT are not good options for the opener and are games that would draw 7,000 plus in the Vines. Coastal is an interesting possibility, but that was not as big a rivalry in basketball as it was in football and baseball. Other than the name, Army brings nothing to the table. VMI would be a much better option because of the proximity and history. SEC or ACC? NOOOOO! Not for this game. It should be an opponent we would likely beat.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
We are going to sell the opening game out if we play St. Mary College for the blind.

We don't need a big name school - those should get played in Vines. I would say someone like a Radford would be a good draw. Would love to see Old Dominion, William & Mary, George Mason, type team too.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Your two statements are in contradiction, Proto. If we would sell out first game in smaller arena regardless of opponent, why would we burn one of our quality matchups on a game where ther presence wouldn't be necessary?

Count me among those who would like to see a likeminded DI school that we could easily beat but be a counter. I'm thinking along the lines of ORU, HBU or Cal Baptist. Let's save GCU for another night but I'd love to have them on the schedule. I now have former LU classmates sending their kids to Phoenix.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:We are going to sell the opening game out if we play St. Mary College for the blind.

We don't need a big name school - those should get played in Vines. I would say someone like a Radford would be a good draw. Would love to see Old Dominion, William & Mary, George Mason, type team too.
Radford was my first thought, but we already know we are playing them at Dedmon that year. ODU, Mason, W&M and VCU would all be fun, but IMHO too "risky".
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Here's a crazy idea: how about the University of Lynchburg (aka, LC)?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think some are losing too much sleep over who we play in first game in new arena. Unless we have a softball game taking place at the same time, I will be there, regardless whether it be VT or Kentucky Christian.
I am surprised no one has mentioned Longwood.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Your two statements are in contradiction, Proto. If we would sell out first game in smaller arena regardless of opponent, why would we burn one of our quality matchups on a game where ther presence wouldn't be necessary?

Count me among those who would like to see a likeminded DI school that we could easily beat but be a counter. I'm thinking along the lines of ORU, HBU or Cal Baptist. Let's save GCU for another night but I'd love to have them on the schedule. I now have former LU classmates sending their kids to Phoenix.
Not really - I don't see any of the teams I mentioned as a marque match up. Just don't want to play a snowflake the first game. I like your suggestions too.
By tyndal23
Do we really think Arena will be ready to anytime during 2019/20 season ? Seems like we are way behind schedule on the construction. ( or is my memory wrong and it is scheduled for start of 2020/21 season. Thought is said winter of 20 - which is 9 months away? Looks like they delivered the first steel beams ( laying on the ground on construction cam ).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Do we really think Arena will be ready to anytime during 2019/20 season ? Seems like we are way behind schedule on the construction. ( or is my memory wrong and it is scheduled for start of 2020/21 season. Thought is said winter of 20 - which is 9 months away? Looks like they delivered the first steel beams ( laying on the ground on construction cam ).
No. Everything I have heard is that the goal is to have it available for the first home game of the 2020-2021 season. If it's ready early they may have a "soft opening" with a few volleyball games.
Last edited by olldflame on March 5th, 2019, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Typically the "moving dirt" portion takes longer than the actual construction but has there ever been an LU building project completed on time? I doubt the arena will be any different.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Typically the "moving dirt" portion takes longer than the actual construction but has there ever been an LU building project completed on time? I doubt the arena will be any different.
That traffic circle has got to be way ahead of schedule...Not.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Continuing the discussion we were having in the football forum here where it belongs:

Some have taken exception to my use of the term "revisionist history" when folks imply that huge crowds were ever the norm at the Vines Center. I took about 15 minutes to pull up the box scores from home games during the 1996-97 season, which was easily the highest attended year we have ever had. For what it's worth, I attended every home game that year.

Average attendance for 12 regular season games: 4,750. That is almost exactly half capacity. This includes the 9000 at the VT game, where easily half the crowd were Hokie fans, and it barely seemed like a home game.

Number of games over 6000 (which IMHO is the critical mass for a truly great game atmosphere in that arena): 4. In addition to the VT game, this included the opener against FIU and games against conference rivals Winthrop and Radford.

Number of games with more than 6000 empty seats: Also 4.

Anyone who knows anything about Liberty's history with attendance figures knows that if these numbers are skewed in any way, it is certainly NOT to the low side.

Moving forward to the present. In the middle of our most successful season ever last year, we played possibly the most anticipated home game we have ever had against Lipscomb. Both teams undefeated in conference and with first place on the line.

Attendance 5053. A lot of people didn't think there were that many there.

The game atmosphere was good, but nothing spectacular. We lost by 20 (and it wasn't really that close). Not saying the outcome would have been different, but you will have a tough time convincing me that it would not have been a harder environment to play in for the Bisons with 4500 or so crammed into every seat and cranny of the new arena.

2 characteristics of great basketball venues: Hard to get a seat and really hard for opponents to come out with a win. This is what we are going for, with Ritchie McKay leading the way
2024 Recruiting Discussion

UVA playing against a mid-pack MEAC team is their […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]