If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I want this so bad.

[youtube]tlFjAtNLGko[/youtube]
Carolina Hurricanes have been using that light show on the ice for several years. Looks good from the nosebleed seats.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I believe I read a while back that we were negotiating to play games against Radford the next 2 years. Bold prediction.............. the first game played in the new arena will be against the Highlanders.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:I believe I read a while back that we were negotiating to play games against Radford the next 2 years. Bold prediction.............. the first game played in the new arena will be against the Highlanders.
It's been a while...last game I went to against Raford had around 6k attend. Lots of Radford grads around. It would be utterly stupid to host UVa or VT in a small venue during the regular season.
By Damien Sordelett
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:I believe I read a while back that we were negotiating to play games against Radford the next 2 years. Bold prediction.............. the first game played in the new arena will be against the Highlanders.
Radford is visiting the Vines Center next season, which means Liberty is playing at the Dedmon Center during Liberty Arena’s inaugural season.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Damien Sordelett wrote:
Radford is visiting the Vines Center next season, which means Liberty is playing at the Dedmon Center during Liberty Arena’s inaugural season.
Thanks Damien. Obviously that would have been reversed if they wanted Radford for the grand opening. VT or UVA would pretty much assure a packed house, so that makes sense, even though those are games that probably could bring in 7000 plus to the Vines if things continue in a positive direction with the program. To be honest, I don't think that would matter to anyone at Liberty. Having a full house for that game would easily trump a couple thousand more in the crowd on another date. I would think VCU or Winthrop would be other strong possibilities.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Thinking about that first game again, I'm not so sure we go with UVA or VT. Yes, you want to fill the place, but you would also really like to WIN. Both of those programs are so strong right now, I'm thinking we go in another direction for this one. There will be enough buzz about the event anyway that I think we could get a sellout for any solid opponent. VCU might be a good choice. They are about on our level now, and between local alumni and folks coming from Richmond, they could help fill the seats.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Typically the standard logic is you bring in a brand name to fill the place up. We have a unique circumstance in that just having a new place and a team that should be very good should fill up the smaller place on its own.

I wouldn't dismiss the idea that Bennett throws Ritchie a bone by coming down to open up the new place.
By Jonathan Carone
Sly Fox wrote:I wouldn't dismiss the idea that Bennett throws Ritchie a bone by coming down to open up the new place.
I wouldn't want that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You don’t want to lose the first game in your new place. Because the team that beats you will NEVER let you live it down. Plus no matter what else you do, you ALWAYS lost the first game in the new place. And I can tell you from experience, there are few greater feelings than raining on someone’s parade like that
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:You don’t want to lose the first game in your new place. Because the team that beats you will NEVER let you live it down. Plus no matter what else you do, you ALWAYS lost the first game in the new place. And I can tell you from experience, there are few greater feelings than raining on someone’s parade like that
I would be interested in hearing that story. 8)

No such thing as a sure win of course, but the more I think, I do believe we should go with someone we would be favored to beat, but still brings some cache'. If it were this year, Wake would be great. By next year they will have a coach who knows what he's doing, and they could right their ship pretty quickly.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Look at what UNC has done the last couple of years in terms of playing games on the road in new venues against teams here in the state of North Carolina. Wouldn't be surprised at all if it was UVA or VT. I would call Ron Wellman at Wake Forest and start there or call Coastal Carolina for a good olde jerk kicking.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:You don’t want to lose the first game in your new place. Because the team that beats you will NEVER let you live it down. Plus no matter what else you do, you ALWAYS lost the first game in the new place. And I can tell you from experience, there are few greater feelings than raining on someone’s parade like that
I would be interested in hearing that story. 8)

No such thing as a sure win of course, but the more I think, I do believe we should go with someone we would be favored to beat, but still brings some cache'. If it were this year, Wake would be great. By next year they will have a coach who knows what he's doing, and they could right their ship pretty quickly.
It’s a fine fine story involving the greatest halftime speech ever!! :D :lol:
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Thinking about that first game again, I'm not so sure we go with UVA or VT. Yes, you want to fill the place, but you would also really like to WIN. Both of those programs are so strong right now, I'm thinking we go in another direction for this one. There will be enough buzz about the event anyway that I think we could get a sellout for any solid opponent. VCU might be a good choice. They are about on our level now, and between local alumni and folks coming from Richmond, they could help fill the seats.
UVa would sell out in Vines...just sayin'
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
oldflame wrote:Thinking about that first game again, I'm not so sure we go with UVA or VT. Yes, you want to fill the place, but you would also really like to WIN. Both of those programs are so strong right now, I'm thinking we go in another direction for this one. There will be enough buzz about the event anyway that I think we could get a sellout for any solid opponent. VCU might be a good choice. They are about on our level now, and between local alumni and folks coming from Richmond, they could help fill the seats.
UVA would crush LU
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Maybe. Right now, they are probably the only opponent who could. That, along with the fact that it would almost surely mean christening our new home with a loss, is why I don't think it would be a good idea for the opener. If and when Ritchie and Tony are ready to do it, that would be a game we could move to the Vines, although, as Sumitup said, I'm not sure Ritchie would be happy about it.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Thats what uva said about umbc haize. Hunter jerome guy and key will all be gone by 2020 opener. That year is very likely to be a rebuilding year. Even next year will be somewhat if hunter goes to the league. Umbc proved that.

Uva will certainly be a solid favorite if bennett is still there and that game came to fruition but that is far from a guaranteed smashing that far out
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Thats what uva said about umbc haize. Hunter jerome guy and key will all be gone by 2020 opener. That year is very likely to be a rebuilding year. Even next year will be somewhat if hunter goes to the league. Umbc proved that.

Uva will certainly be a solid favorite if bennett is still there and that game came to fruition but that is far from a guaranteed smashing that far out
There is a difference between saying it would be a likely loss and a "guaranteed smashing", but I personally wouldn't want either for that game. Short of scheduling Kentucky Christian or Taccoa Falls, there are no "guaranteed wins" either. IMHO we should schedule a "likely win", preferably against a mid/low major VA school or one of our former BSC rivals. Since we know it won't be Radford, perhaps Winthrop or W&M. Maybe VMI.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Wow, why didn't I think of this before? VMI was our opponent for the opening of the Vine's Center! Perfect historical symmetry and just the kind of matchup we want.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
VMI would be great, but since they left BSC, I don't think we have played them in any sport. I don't think they want to play anymore
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:VMI would be great, but since they left BSC, I don't think we have played them in any sport. I don't think they want to play anymore
We played them in both men's and women's soccer this year, and we had pre-season basketball "secret" scrimmages against them 2 years in a row. There is no overall bias on their part against playing us.
By Jonathan Carone
My understanding was many Big South schools weren’t playing VMI because of them leaving the conference. But since we’re no longer in the Big South, we have no reason to have that bias.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Wow, why didn't I think of this before? VMI was our opponent for the opening of the Vine's Center! Perfect historical symmetry and just the kind of matchup we want.
I like the military theme, but how about if upgrade a little and invite Navy or Army to the little Vines? :usa
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
oldflame wrote:Wow, why didn't I think of this before? VMI was our opponent for the opening of the Vine's Center! Perfect historical symmetry and just the kind of matchup we want.
I like the military theme, but how about if upgrade a little and invite Navy or Army to the little Vines? :usa
I hear you, but we have zero history with Army in basketball and only a bit with Navy. VMI is a team we have a long history with, and they are just up 501. They have lots of local alum, and could probably bring a group of cadets in uniform as well.

Most importantly, they are the team we played to open the Vines. I think it would be a great bit of deja voux to open the new arena with the same opponent.

Not unimportant is the fact that they are someone we can probably beat.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]