If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Personally, I don't like the idea. I think it will be great for womens BB and Volleyball, but the mens team should be good enough to fill the Vines center, with a good enough team. If wed don't have a good enough team, we need to make the adjustments required to get there. It used to be filled, even during weekday games, back in the Aluma, Hilldebrand, etc. era. If we win, the fans will come.
So Trey is now a VP? Interesting, wonder how the interview process went? 8)
By cruzan_flame13
flameshaw wrote:Personally, I don't like the idea. I think it will be great for womens BB and Volleyball, but the mens team should be good enough to fill the Vines center, with a good enough team. If wed don't have a good enough team, we need to make the adjustments required to get there. It used to be filled, even during weekday games, back in the Aluma, Hilldebrand, etc. era. If we win, the fans will come.
Kudos to all of the folks who didn’t doubt about a new arena being built at LU. Flameshaw, I would hope you are correct on his one. I would say that during those eras, LU did not contain as much activities as they have now (I could be wrong). I’m also sure that most students then at LU and around the nation was going to games to support their school. Nonetheless I would like this new arena to change that and to help promote LU with recruiting and support of the community.
By Jonathan Carone
flameshaw wrote:It used to be filled, even during weekday games, back in the Aluma, Hilldebrand, etc. era.
I think one thing we have to acknowledge is that it’s an entirely different culture than it was in the 90s. There are too many other distractions and options for students. They can watch the games from their dorms. There’s a billion things going on in terms of club sports, intramurals, and student life. While those additions have been great for student life, it is a negative impact on athletics attendance.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Personally, I don't like the idea. I think it will be great for womens BB and Volleyball, but the mens team should be good enough to fill the Vines center, with a good enough team. If wed don't have a good enough team, we need to make the adjustments required to get there. It used to be filled, even during weekday games, back in the Aluma, Hilldebrand, etc. era. If we win, the fans will come.
We were due for an upgrade. I think it's going to be a while until we fill up with students. Remember when jerryjokers said it was hard for them to make week day games? :roll:

Can't wait to see the finish product though. Should be one of the best knowing how Liberty gets things done.
By cruzan_flame13
ballah09 wrote:
We were due for an upgrade. I think it's going to be a while until we fill up with students. Remember when jerryjokers said it was hard for them to make week day games? :roll:

Can't wait to see the finish product though. Should be one of the best knowing how Liberty gets things done.
It could be earlier than expected. The school of business was suppose to be completed by summer of 2019, and now it is expected to be completed by the fall of this year. This plan was part of phase two of the master plan. I’m expecting a lot more projects will come to “light” pretty soon as well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
flameshaw wrote:It used to be filled, even during weekday games, back in the Aluma, Hilldebrand, etc. era.
I think one thing we have to acknowledge is that it’s an entirely different culture than it was in the 90s. There are too many other distractions and options for students. They can watch the games from their dorms. There’s a billion things going on in terms of club sports, intramurals, and student life. While those additions have been great for student life, it is a negative impact on athletics attendance.
There is also a tiny bit of revisionist history going on as well. We filled the Vines on occasion, notably against VT and Radford (when the rivalry was much more intense), but in our best years we did not average much over 5000 (if that). Even back then, there were a lot of games where we had under 3000, and the place looked and felt empty. I like this move a lot. It solves a lot of problems, gives us a great place to play in a better atmosphere (for the majority of games), and we still have the Vines if we expect a bigger crowd. Win-win IMHO.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BTW, I hope they do not consider an anticipated crowd of less than 5000 sufficient to move a game to the Vines. I would much rather we play to a packed house of 4000 (or maybe even SRO of 4500) than a half-full Vines with say 4800.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Maybe a nice mix between GCU Arena and Kimmel Arena
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Just saaw new Kimmel at BSC tourney. I wasn’t impressed with Kimmel. Obviously a YUUUUUGE upgrade for them. But it’s just new. It’s low on amenities, poor size and placement of video boards, and weird parking. I wold imagine the parking is just the best it can be given the topography of their campus, so I’m not holding that against UNCA. But Liberty can do better.

The new one at Wofford is BY FAR the nicest small DI arena I’ve seen. And it’s not even close. I heard that one came in at a cost close to $40M. In every way, no expense was spared.

Build THAT, Liberty.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
There is also a tiny bit of revisionist history going on as well. We filled the Vines on occasion, notably against VT and Radford (when the rivalry was much more intense), but in our best years we did not average much over 5000 (if that). Even back then, there were a lot of games where we had under 3000, and the place looked and felt empty. I like this move a lot. It solves a lot of problems, gives us a great place to play in a better atmosphere (for the majority of games), and we still have the Vines if we expect a bigger crowd. Win-win IMHO.
Not sure about revisionist history, I was at most of those games and many of them were at least 80% full. I am talking about conference games as well. We were a basketball school back then (at least according to the AD and others) and I believe that to be true as well. Yes, there are many more things to do in L'burg and at the school than there used to be. But we also have 2x as many students on campus (at least).
Regardless of the past, if we return to having a winning program, play exciting teams (no Tacco Falls, etc), we will fill it up regularly again. Heck, I might even start coming back to the games. I was a season ticket holder for probably 10 years, followed them on the road to Campbell and CCU, etc. Haven't been to the Vines in probably 10 years, no atmosphere, mediocre play.
The new building is a great idea for the other sports. Hope it works out well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Just saaw new Kimmel at BSC tourney. I wasn’t impressed with Kimmel. Obviously a YUUUUUGE upgrade for them. But it’s just new. It’s low on amenities, poor size and placement of video boards, and weird parking. I wold imagine the parking is just the best it can be given the topography of their campus, so I’m not holding that against UNCA. But Liberty can do better.

The new one at Wofford is BY FAR the nicest small DI arena I’ve seen. And it’s not even close. I heard that one came in at a cost close to $40M. In every way, no expense was spared.

Build THAT, Liberty.
An upgrade from the Justice Center? No way! That was the ultimate intimate basketball environment. Even better than the Bucdome!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
This video shows a blueprint and lists the seating at 4,500:

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Call me crazy, I actually like the BucDome. It really is an advantage to have a place like that, and they’ve done what they can with it. I would just add new locker rooms and offices off the back side of it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Call me crazy, I actually like the BucDome. It really is an advantage to have a place like that, and they’ve done what they can with it. I would just add new locker rooms and offices off the back side of it.
Oh, I agree. I suppose I have been there 10-12 times and they always have it full or almost full, and the fans are loud and intense. I'm sure I read somewhere that they have plans for a new building as well, but I can't imagine how they will pay for it, and I'm not sure Barkley even wants it.
By Jonathan Carone
I just hope we can figure out a way to name it something other than Liberty Arena. Having everything as Liberty Baseball Stadium, Liberty Softball Stadium, and Liberty Arena feels so pedestrian and high school-ish. Having a named building will give it some added character.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:This video shows a blueprint and lists the seating at 4,500:

Pretty sure the 4500 is for non athletic events with chairs on the floor. What I'm wondering is, if it seats 4000, how many will the Fire Marshall actually allow in the building? You figure they will allow SOME standing room, but how much?
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I agree with the sentiment that we can and should fill up the Vines. It was a tough environment back in the 90's but the reality is it won't happen regularly anymore. I go to games here at Alabama and listen to my peers talk about the days Coleman was filled every game but now it is rarely even half full. There is talk of a new arena at half the seating capacity. It is just how things are going. Less seating but higher end amenities.

If we can fill 4,000 seats with avid fans of the caliber and creativity of those who filled the Vines in the 90's will have a fearsome home court advantage.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:This video shows a blueprint and lists the seating at 4,500:

Pretty sure the 4500 is for non athletic events with chairs on the floor. What I'm wondering is, if it seats 4000, how many will the Fire Marshall actually allow in the building? You figure they will allow SOME standing room, but how much?
Wofford has a Standing Room Rail the entire length of one side. It sits between at top of lower level, baseline-to-baseline. Of course, it’s directly across the concourse from the club are which sells alcohol. :shock:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I just hope we can figure out a way to name it something other than Liberty Arena. Having everything as Liberty Baseball Stadium, Liberty Softball Stadium, and Liberty Arena feels so pedestrian and high school-ish. Having a named building will give it some added character.
With JFLJR in charge, I think one thing we can be pretty sure about is that it will never be named after a donor. A lot of schools are honoring former coaches by naming the court (not the arena) after them. IMHO "Jeff Meyer Court at Liberty Arena" has a nice ring to it. Then about 15 years from now, when he wins his 400th game as Liberty coach, name the arena after McKay.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I love a smaller arena. I was a student starting in 97. One year after Meyer. The Vines was never completely full my time as a student. When we hosted the tornament, it was pretty good. Radford would be college for a weekend and get a good crowd. But even when we were in the final with back in 2005, The game was on ESPN, it was the final...and still only about 90 percent full.

As far as the new stadium. Love the idea for a smaller stadium. But HATE THAT THE SEATS WILL BE PULL OUT instead of chairback. That is so highschoolish!!! Temporary seats that can be pushed in...don't like that. I love Campbell's arena with the nice wide chairbacks. But they only go 3/4 the way around. Wrap them the whole way around and you can get 4,000. Also, I wish they would build the parking garage at the same time. People might come out that havent seen a game before to see the new stadium. Nothing like turning them off by having them walk from Barnes and Noble all the way down. Don't open it until the parking is ready. Otherwise, it's kindof like opening a hockey rink before seats are put in!!! :)
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]