If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Don't panic, JimFlamesFan. If you look at this blueprint it gives specifics about the seating:

http://www.liberty.edu/media/1617/2018/ ... _level.pdf
Telescopic Seating: 1,912
Fixed Seating: 2,266
Club/Loge Seats: 350

Total Seating: 4,528
Hopefully, the 1,912 seating will be students who will be standing anyway. :wink:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
olldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:This video shows a blueprint and lists the seating at 4,500:

Pretty sure the 4500 is for non athletic events with chairs on the floor. What I'm wondering is, if it seats 4000, how many will the Fire Marshall actually allow in the building? You figure they will allow SOME standing room, but how much?
Wofford has a Standing Room Rail the entire length of one side. It sits between at top of lower level, baseline-to-baseline. Of course, it’s directly across the concourse from the club are which sells alcohol. :shock:
In looking at the diagram with the specifics on seating Cider posted, it indeed will seat over 4500 for basketball, so I'm not sure why it was announced as 4000. I would think they will have places to squeeze in a few hundred SRO people to bring it close to 5k.
Last edited by olldflame on March 17th, 2018, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
The seats will be chairs with backs and arm rests AND will be retractable. Welcome to the 21st century!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Don't panic, JimFlamesFan. If you look at this blueprint it gives specifics about the seating:

Hopefully, the 1,912 seating will be students who will be standing anyway. :wink:
I'm pretty sure that will be the case, and love it that they will be closest to the court. Hopefully the chair seating behind them will be elevated a bit so the students can stand all game and not block the :oldhag :oldhag view.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Just saaw new Kimmel at BSC tourney. I wasn’t impressed with Kimmel. Obviously a YUUUUUGE upgrade for them. But it’s just new. It’s low on amenities, poor size and placement of video boards, and weird parking. I wold imagine the parking is just the best it can be given the topography of their campus, so I’m not holding that against UNCA. But Liberty can do better.

The new one at Wofford is BY FAR the nicest small DI arena I’ve seen. And it’s not even close. I heard that one came in at a cost close to $40M. In every way, no expense was spared.

Build THAT, Liberty.
Thus I said a mix between the two
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR wrote:The seats will be chairs with backs and arm rests AND will be retractable. Welcome to the 21st century!
Are you sure about that? 8) Hey, glad to see you are still checking in here from time to time. I think we hit a home run with this plan, and with the exception of flameshaw (who obviously longs to be back in the 90s) it looks like that opinion is just about unanimous.
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
I’m excited about this one so I wanted to make sure everyone understood the plan. Touring Troy University’s arena with President Hawkins a few years ago was my inspiration for this. One cool thing is the elevation of the basketball floor will be within a few feet of the Vines basketball floor so access to the existing locker rooms for the players will be easy. Also, the new parking garage on East Campus with on and off ramps to the bypass and an easy walk through the pedestrian tunnel will make it easy for locals to attend games. The space between Vines and DeMoss either had to be beautified at great expense or used for this arena anyhow so it was like an epiphany when the idea hit me. Most of my ideas for campus came only after staring at campus maps for hours and hours. That’s my passion. I am going to be so bored when we finish all these projects!
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Don't panic, JimFlamesFan. If you look at this blueprint it gives specifics about the seating:

I'm pretty sure that will be the case, and love it that they will be closest to the court. Hopefully the chair seating behind them will be elevated a bit so the students can stand all game and not block the :oldhag :oldhag view.
This is what I'm hoping as well :mrgreen:
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
+1

Stroke of genius to put it in that spot. Big win all the way around. I love that it is still in central campus and takes advantage of the existing facilities. It will look great, it fills in an awkward spot between Vines and Demoss and along with the new Business School, it covers/ draws attention away from the awkward facade of Demoss. ( Not a criticism. I think we did the best we could without completely reskinning the thing. Also, it has been the backbone of campus for decades. So props to that, too).
I am really looking forward to the next few years of Flames basketball!
By Jonathan Carone
JLFJR wrote:One cool thing is the elevation of the basketball floor will be within a few feet of the Vines basketball floor so access to the existing locker rooms for the players will be easy.
That would mean the plan is to dig down, correct? Which would make the concourse when you walk in being the top of the arena similar to Vines? If that’s the case, would there be the ability to expand the new arena down the road if needed if we are consistently selling out games?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR wrote:I’m excited about this one so I wanted to make sure everyone understood the plan. Touring Troy University’s arena with President Hawkins a few years ago was my inspiration for this. One cool thing is the elevation of the basketball floor will be within a few feet of the Vines basketball floor so access to the existing locker rooms for the players will be easy. Also, the new parking garage on East Campus with on and off ramps to the bypass and an easy walk through the pedestrian tunnel will make it easy for locals to attend games. The space between Vines and DeMoss either had to be beautified at great expense or used for this arena anyhow so it was like an epiphany when the idea hit me. Most of my ideas for campus came only after staring at campus maps for hours and hours. That’s my passion. I am going to be so bored when we finish all these projects!
Everything is looking really good! I have no doubt this is going to be one of the most beautiful facilities out there.

Will there be a designated section for students? We had the reputation of being one of the most intimating fans in the BS for football with a student section. With the Vines there really wasn't anything with the students being all spread out.
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
Correct. That parking lot is all fill dirt so it is easy to dig down. Not sure what you mean about expanding down the road. I can’t imagine we will ever need a basketball arena with more seats than Vines. Did I miss something?
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
I was surprised that we could have comfortable chairs and still have the ability to retract for more practice courts!
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
Ballah09, Ian will have to answer the question about the student section but I don’t know why we wouldn’t have one.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We need to get students out of dorms and into the arena on game night/days. Need better student support for basketball, softball and baseball. With number of students at LU now, the seats should be full at majority of the games.

Be early, be loud and wear red.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR wrote:Ballah09, Ian will have to answer the question about the student section but I don’t know why we wouldn’t have one.
I think the question is not so much will we have one as will it be courtside. I'm sure Ian will make the right call on that.
Last edited by olldflame on March 17th, 2018, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR wrote:I was surprised that we could have comfortable chairs and still have the ability to retract for more practice courts!
Will the chairs be ‘Baptist Sized’ with possible sponsorship from Golden Corral? Asking for a friend Play Basketball
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR wrote:Send Ian an email at ijmccaw@liberty.edu. I’m sure he’ll love that I posted his email address!
My ‘Friend’ would just be happy with chairs and seating they can fit into. 8)
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
PH, my wife likes the Hulu show This Is Us. She is watching it now so that’s why I’m posting here. One of the stars of that show made me wonder the same thing. I’ll check on it Monday!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR wrote:PH, my wife likes the Hulu show This Is Us. She is watching it now so that’s why I’m posting here. One of the stars of that show made me wonder the same thing. I’ll check on it Monday!
You mean you aren’t enjoying the same shows as your wife :shock: I mean I LOVE watching QVC.........
By cruzan_flame13
I see that the vines will have a few renovations and addition. Will the dome still be what is now with the logo “we the champions” placed on it or is there going to be renovations for the dome as well?

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]