If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
With the location next to the vines...it could probably be used as convocation overflow if they put the service on the screens.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
On a related note, the LU baseball stadium has by far the best hot dog of any of the LU sports concessions. Not sure why the softball and basketball concessions can't sell the same hot dog.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Softball has good hamburgers, but they are too thick. I normally cut it in half and them smash it down to flatten it. And fries have entirely too much salt.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I was one critical of a new, smaller arena. After reading about this- both plans and location, I'll retract my opposition. I think that location played a part, due to the distance from The Vines Center. It seemed that we were giving up the possibility of big crowds as time passes. That clearly isn't the case.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
When UVa built JPJ, they kept U-Hall across the street. But LU's idea is even smarter, having Vines and Liberty Arena attached to share facilities.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Is U Hall used for anything now ? I went in it a couple years ago to get out of a thunderstorm at a baseball game up there.
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Very happy with the change in location. Everyone on ASOR deserves a YUGE round of applause for voicing your concerns here about the originally planned location. The people that matter read what you write here, and it is certainly my belief that your voices were heavily considered on this change.

Looking forward to seeing Dunton Arena rocking soon. :lol:
BYD, this is just one of many examples over the last seven years when the architects smiled in meetings when I changed their plans but quietly cussed me out behind my back. They came up with the idea of a smaller arena on East Campus but I never liked it. Stacking up classrooms in the Freedom Tower was another prime example of an idea that they didn't like at first. Then, after they thought about it, they decided it was a good idea and made it 25' taller than I had decided. LU has benefitted from some of the finest architects in the country but the best architectural plans require both great architects and active participation (sometimes defiance) from the owners.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:With the location next to the vines...it could probably be used as convocation overflow if they put the service on the screens.
I would certainly think so, and the combined capacity would be close to 20k. :shock:
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I don't know if anyone has commented on this, but this addition, situated as it is with the vine's center, could potentially be great for other activities on campus and in the community.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:Very happy with the change in location. Everyone on ASOR deserves a YUGE round of applause for voicing your concerns here about the originally planned location. The people that matter read what you write here, and it is certainly my belief that your voices were heavily considered on this change.

Looking forward to seeing Dunton Arena rocking soon. :lol:
:rofl :rofl

Why not Hankenson Arena?

Jeff Meyer
They're still learning the defense. 8)
By cruzan_flame13
bluedevilflame wrote:Could this arena be fitted for hockey games?

That would be pretty nice, plus the ability to create a rival event there. Maybe that would be considered if LU hockey will be studied and accepted in NCAA D1 hockey.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
bluedevilflame wrote:Could this arena be fitted for hockey games?

That would be pretty nice, plus the ability to create a rival event there. Maybe that would be considered if LU hockey will be studied and accepted in NCAA D1 hockey.
One of the primary reasons for building the new arena was to avoid the constant set up and tear down at the Vines. Changing from basketball to hockey and back would be a similar hassel. If there is need for a larger hockey facility down the road, I imagine they will expand or build a new one. Lahaye supposedly holds 3000 as it is, so there's not that much difference.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Doesn’t LU already have a hockey rink?
By cruzan_flame13
That's true old flame. I just remembered a conversation that I had with the men's hockey video coach Jonathan Chung about this topic. During conversation he did state something quite interesting, which was there was plans for LU to play at the D1 level and to expand the LIC for that transformation. It seems as though he was choosing his words wisely without stating any deep information that the public shouldn't know at the moment.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Doesn’t LU already have a hockey rink?
Newly renovated, and holds 3000. I don't see any way they get themselves into the headache of a hockey rink with a basketball court on top that has to be removed or laid down every time you change sports just to pick up 1000 seats that won't be needed for most games. My understanding is that in the facilities that have this, neither team is happy, and it is a logistical and maintenance nightmare. Keep in mind that volleyball is also going to not only be using Liberty Arena for games, but it will I believe be where they practice as well.
By Jonathan Carone
Varsity hockey has always been talked about, especially for fans of the club teams. While we could field a very successful program, it’s just not feasible with Title IX in place, especially after going FBS in football.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Varsity hockey has always been talked about, especially for fans of the club teams. While we could field a very successful program, it’s just not feasible with Title IX in place, especially after going FBS in football.
That is 100% correct where men's hockey is concerned. Women's hockey is another matter. Moving to NCAA there would actually solve Title IX problems. I just can't imagine that they would make that move with the women and keep the men a club program, but frankly, the women's team has had more success, and it would be easier and less expensive than starting a gymnastic's program. Stranger things have happened. Of course both programs moving to NCAA hockey would at least theoretically be a wash where title IX is concerned, leaving us with 22 extra football scholarships to compensate for with sports like golf, gymnastics and???
By cruzan_flame13
olldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Varsity hockey has always been talked about, especially for fans of the club teams. While we could field a very successful program, it’s just not feasible with Title IX in place, especially after going FBS in football.
That is 100% correct where men's hockey is concerned. Women's hockey is another matter. Moving to NCAA there would actually solve Title IX problems. I just can't imagine that they would make that move with the women and keep the men a club program, but frankly, the women's team has had more success, and it would be easier and less expensive than starting a gymnastic's program. Stranger things have happened. Of course both programs moving to NCAA hockey would at least theoretically be a wash where title IX is concerned, leaving us with 22 extra football scholarships to compensate for with sports like golf, gymnastics and???
There is actually a gymnastic group that is co-ed. It's smaller than before but they're still there.
By Jonathan Carone
It’s not a varsity sport. Liberty promotes their club sports equally with their varsity sports, but there’s a big difference in regulations and competitiveness between the two that most students don’t understand because of that equality in marketing.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The last statistic I heard was that LU has MORE club sport athletes than D1 varsity athletes, which really surprised me. And as I recall, it was hundreds more. :shock:
By Jonathan Carone
That’s not surprising at all. Club sports are able to have more athletes and are able to compete at different levels. It’s the entire point of the system.
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:The last statistic I heard was that LU has MORE club sport athletes than D1 varsity athletes, which really surprised me. And as I recall, it was hundreds more. :shock:
It isn't hard to imagine. I attached a list of every team. But some of the teams are MASSIVE. Ultimate and the 5 hockey brings a ton of people to the table. Let alone lacrosse and gymnastics. There are 41 club teams listed. It wouldn't take long to take it past the NCAA scholarship number.

http://www.liberty.edu/campusrec/clubsp ... ?PID=25958
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
And that doesn't even count Quiz Bowl, the "varsity sport of the mind." Study
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]