If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
Geraldos Mustache wrote: January 21st, 2020, 4:50 pm In the new Liberty Arena, there is also a corner section above what appears to be an opening for players/equipment to enter/exit the arena. This corner section is 6 rows with a total of 105 seats. This would be a great area to locate the student pep band. Just need to make sure Ballcoach is not sitting next to the band - could get LOUD.
That's supposed to be a media/radio section.
By Geraldos Mustache
A Sea of Red wrote: January 21st, 2020, 5:30 pm
Geraldos Mustache wrote: January 21st, 2020, 4:50 pm In the new Liberty Arena, there is also a corner section above what appears to be an opening for players/equipment to enter/exit the arena. This corner section is 6 rows with a total of 105 seats. This would be a great area to locate the student pep band. Just need to make sure Ballcoach is not sitting next to the band - could get LOUD.
That's supposed to be a media/radio section.
With seating for 105?
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Anyone remember pre Vines center when games were played at the multi or as it was later call schilling center? I never did, but remember those from the 80's talk about how loud it was in there.
PAmedic liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’m done debating whether or not to play in Vines. But I did have a thought. Since it’s been stated emphatically that no games will be played, do we know that the basketball floor will even remain? I could see Nasser et al redesigning it to suit convo needs.
ballcoach15 liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 21st, 2020, 11:28 am
rogers3 wrote: January 21st, 2020, 8:16 am
JK37 wrote: January 21st, 2020, 12:19 am

Hold that reminder until we’ve won as many national championships as Villanova + are located in a major metro area as large as Philadelphia.

Next.
Wow, savvy comeback...except I am not suggesting we sell out 21000 or even 6500 every game. I am surprised at the shortsighted vision for this program. The funny thing is that it wasn't long ago when folks were crowing about the continued expansion of the stadium. Reality is that LU is more likely to energize locals to come to see basketball than football and it has been like that for years. Its rather be less insular and see attendance that builds than cap it at what would be today's top capacity.
Other than you just wanting to be right and be able to pronounce your readiness for "Next," what is the flaw in my line of thinking?
I don’t buy this yet — not until I’m shown quantifiable proof. But I’m genuinely curious, so I’ll wait.

I can't help it I'm right.
Others have already enumerated the flawS in your thinking, so I don’t need to.

We may disagree on vision, that’s ok. LU has tried it your way with Vines for decades. How’s that working out?
Tried it my way???
I'll have to call BS on you jk. But gotta love your bravado! Meanwhile, as I read on, I see that I am not alone; time will tell.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote: January 21st, 2020, 5:48 pm Anyone remember pre Vines center when games were played at the multi or as it was later call schilling center? I never did, but remember those from the 80's talk about how loud it was in there.
That was absolutely the best atmosphere of any games I have attended at Liberty. Lousy bleachers and could get pretty hot in there but it was a blast. And very loud.
Just John liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Games against Longwood, RMC, and My. St. Mary's were big. One year, MSM was a top 10 D2 team and we won against them. Last memory was our first ESPN game when someone or something cut the power and the game ended before the buzzer. Seemed like we could get close to 4,000 in that tight gym. Hmmmm...
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: January 21st, 2020, 10:26 pm Games against Longwood, RMC, and My. St. Mary's were big. One year, MSM was a top 10 D2 team and we won against them. Last memory was our first ESPN game when someone or something cut the power and the game ended before the buzzer. Seemed like we could get close to 4,000 in that tight gym. Hmmmm...
I can’t find attendance numbers from Schilling. My memory from attending campus church there from ‘99-‘02 makes me think it would be difficult to get half that number in the bleachers.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
No way there were 4,000 people at games in the Schilling Center. Atmosphere was definitely an advantage to the home team and fun in the stands. The only amenities were two bathrooms; one for the boys and one for the girls.
By tyndal23
SumItUp wrote: January 21st, 2020, 10:56 pm No way there were 4,000 people at games in the Schilling Center. Atmosphere was definitely an advantage to the home team and fun in the stands. The only amenities were two bathrooms; one for the boys and one for the girls.
There was every bit of 3500 for the ESPN game.
SumItUp liked this
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Campus church was great in the Schilling. Wasn’t it a rubber floor? The tradition was to throw streamers and toilet paper rolls across the floor when we scored our first points?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 3:41 am Campus church was great in the Schilling. Wasn’t it a rubber floor? The tradition was to throw streamers and toilet paper rolls across the floor when we scored our first points?
It was, until the Mason-Dixon conference made a rule against it. The next home game we played Longwood (who were arguably our biggest rivals in the D2 days) The janitor's closets in all the dorms were on lockdown, but Longwood brought a contingent of fans. When we scored our first basket, a lone roll of TP flew down from the middle of the section where the Longwood fans were. Despite the protests of Liberty fans and coaches, it resulted in a technical on us and high fives all around in the Longwood section.

Yes, it was a rubber floor. Hard to believe in these days of nearly unlimited on-line $$, but they bought it because it cost less than a wooden floor. It was a nightmare to maintain.
By ElmersTwin
JK37 wrote: January 21st, 2020, 7:20 pm I’m done debating whether or not to play in Vines. But I did have a thought. Since it’s been stated emphatically that no games will be played, do we know that the basketball floor will even remain? I could see Nasser et al redesigning it to suit convo needs.
The basketball floor will more than likely be ripped out and be replaced with a mobile click floor. Vines probably won't see too much of a redesign (outside of the roof replacement) because they want to keep it basketball-friendly in the case a game comes around that warrants a bigger venue.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ElmersTwin wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 11:13 am
JK37 wrote: January 21st, 2020, 7:20 pm I’m done debating whether or not to play in Vines. But I did have a thought. Since it’s been stated emphatically that no games will be played, do we know that the basketball floor will even remain? I could see Nasser et al redesigning it to suit convo needs.
The basketball floor will more than likely be ripped out and be replaced with a mobile click floor. Vines probably won't see too much of a redesign (outside of the roof replacement) because they want to keep it basketball-friendly in the case a game comes around that warrants a bigger venue.
If we accomplish what we are looking to with the new arena, I really do not believe such a game exists.
By tyndal23
oldflame wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 11:55 am
If we accomplish what we are looking to with the new arena, I really do not believe such a game exists.
So if we become the Gonzaga of the east that Ian wants - we will never need to seat more than 4K? Got it, makes sense.
By ElmersTwin
Feel free to explain that to the higher-ups in the executive suites at Green Hall.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ElmersTwin wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 12:32 pm

Feel free to explain that to the higher-ups in the executive suites at Green Hall.
I'm pretty confident Ritchie has already done that.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 12:24 pm

So if we become the Gonzaga of the east that Ian wants - we will never need to seat more than 4K? Got it, makes sense.
Not saying that at all, although apparently you are not aware that Gonzaga's facility only seats 6,000. If and when the time comes when a larger facility is warranted FULL TIME, I believe we will address the issue, probably with another new building in another location. I'd be willing to bet JLFJR is already looking at possible sites. Until then, the idea of giving up home court advantage to get a few thousand extra people in the building for a "big game" is something I don't see happening, and coach McKay will be the loudest voice (behind the scenes) against it.
By tyndal23
I am fully aware - and I agree 100 percent on the smaller venue for LU - but people aren’t remembering the original statement by JR. ( and he came in this board and restated it - Vines available for games that need the extra seats). 2k turned away is a lot different than 4-6k turned away,
2019 game 1 against a nobody - 7800 tickets scanned. If the roof drops 30 feet - acoustics and atmosphere might be entirely different than it is now - will have to wait and see. People saying NEVER are being short sighted - personally I could care less if Vines is ever used or not.
By Jonathan Carone
The never statements are based on a statement by McKay saying he didn’t want to go back to Vines.

If 14 years around Liberty has taught me anything, it’s that ideas and statements will always change and nothing is ever set in stone.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 1:23 pm I am fully aware - and I agree 100 percent on the smaller venue for LU - but people aren’t remembering the original statement by JR. ( and he came in this board and restated it - Vines available for games that need the extra seats). 2k turned away is a lot different than 4-6k turned away,
2019 game 1 against a nobody - 7800 tickets scanned. If the roof drops 30 feet - acoustics and atmosphere might be entirely different than it is now - will have to wait and see. People saying NEVER are being short sighted - personally I could care less if Vines is ever used or not.
So let me get this straight. The "nobody" you are referring to is Radford? The team that has been our most frequent opponent and biggest rival over the history of our program? The team that knocked us out of the dance with a buzzer beater the last time we played them? That's your "nobody"? If we were UVA, that would be a yes. For Liberty it's a NO. The last time having a game in the Vines again was mentioned by anyone involved in the decision is a distant memory. Ian and Ritchie have made statements to the contrary multiple times since JR said that. They aren't doing that if he isn't on board.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 12:50 pm
tyndal23 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 12:24 pm

Not saying that at all, although apparently you are not aware that Gonzaga's facility only seats 6,000. If and when the time comes when a larger facility is warranted FULL TIME, I believe we will address the issue, probably with another new building in another location. I'd be willing to bet JLFJR is already looking at possible sites. Until then, the idea of giving up home court advantage to get a few thousand extra people in the building for a "big game" is something I don't see happening, and coach McKay will be the loudest voice (behind the scenes) against it.
Gonzaga did use the larger Spokane Arena (12,200 seats) for big games for several years after they rose to prominence. They’ve changed philosophies more recently, however, and have only played there once since 2012.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Let's just say hell freezes over and Bennett and McKay decide the time has come to play each other a home and home. We go to JPJ first and UVA wins a barn burner (43-42 :lol: ). The next year it's in Lynchburg. I would be genuinely interested in hearing how we would benefit in any tangible way from playing that game in the Vines instead of the Liberty Arena.
By Ill flame
You could probably sell that ticket for twice the amount I would hope. Especially in the new arena. I think this argument is a few years premature. Let's just keeping winning and the rest will take care of itself.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]