If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: October 25th, 2019, 7:48 pm
Cider Jim wrote: October 25th, 2019, 7:44 pm We need a pic of the progress.
The "Arena North" view under "facilities" stopped working months ago.
The “gun range” cam now shows the arena

https://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/in ... =Gun-Range
By BlueBlood
I truly hope that LU reconsiders it’s “we’ll play exclusively in Liberty Arena“ stance. There is no reason to purposely abandon atmospheres like last night.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Wouldn’t a lot of people pushed into a smaller space be an even better atmosphere?

As a player, wouldn’t I ALWAYS want to shoot in my home gym?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Once new parking garage is finished, that should increase basketball attendance, I believe we will have to play some games in Vines Center, after new arena is built. it would be a shame to turn fans away.
By Jonathan Carone
Turning fans away would be great! That’s how you build an atmosphere. Last night was a giant crowd but they were consistently loud. If you made the environment exclusive and a big deal, the people who would be in there would be more likely to be engaged with the game instead of sitting and waiting for big moments.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 9th, 2019, 9:09 am Once new parking garage is finished, that should increase basketball attendance, I believe we will have to play some games in Vines Center, after new arena is built. it would be a shame to turn fans away.
It would be GREAT to turn fans away. It’s called a Sell Out. And it increases the value and demand of the actual tickets. I know you never pay for a ticket as a free loader but the grown ups who have to make these decisions have to take those factors into consideration
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 9th, 2019, 9:09 am Once new parking garage is finished, that should increase basketball attendance, I believe we will have to play some games in Vines Center, after new arena is built. it would be a shame to turn fans away.
No, it will NOT be a "shame" to occasionally have more demand for Liberty basketball than seating allows. We have been operating on that principle for 30 years, and the result has been game after game playing in front of mostly empty seats. The administration has made it clear that they have no intention to move any games to the Vines for the foreseeable future, regardless of demand.

As far as parking is concerned, I think you are way overrating the impact it has on attendance.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 9th, 2019, 9:41 am Turning fans away would be great! That’s how you build an atmosphere. Last night was a giant crowd but they were consistently loud. If you made the environment exclusive and a big deal, the people who would be in there would be more likely to be engaged with the game instead of sitting and waiting for big moments.
Spot on (except I think you meant they were NOT consistently loud). The people who go to games in the next few years (most of them anyway) will come with the attitude that they are blessed to have the opportunity, and they will want to make the most of it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: November 9th, 2019, 10:38 am It was one game let's not overreact. Let's talk after the next two games.
:nod

2PM Sunday against MD Eastern Shore. I have a sneaking suspicion there will not be 7800 plus on hand.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Not 7800 good.

The new arena is going to make for a great environment on a more consistent basis. I can't wait to see it.
By BlueBlood
A Sea of Red wrote: November 9th, 2019, 10:38 am It was one game let's not overreact. Let's talk after the next two games.
To be clear, I wasn’t advocating that normal games be played in Vines, just maybe earmarking a couple big games to play there. As an example, Villanova is playing Kansas and G-town at Wells Fargo this year.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
When I saw how packed the Vines Center was with the CFAW crowd, and still saw how many empty reserved seats there were, I wondered how that would work in the new Liberty Arena. Does anyone know how many reserved seats are the Vines, and how many reserved seats are planned for the Liberty Arena?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Once upon a time I knew how many reserved season tickets there were, but that was 3 or 4 seasons ago. Forget number.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 9th, 2019, 11:26 am Nothing else happening at 2:00p.m. Sunday. Should be a good crowd.
I guess going home after church, enjoying a leisurely Sunday dinner with your family and then watching the NFL and/or NASCAR race on TV is "nothing". Maybe to you.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
For the record, back in the Layer years, when we were slugging it out for the honor of worst basketball team in D1, MD Eastern-Shore was right there with us. The difference is, they still are. Forgetting the time, this is not a game that anyone is going to have circled on their calendar.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I had to tell the Old Men's Club last night that this was NOT the #16 seed UMBC team that beat UVa 2 years ago in the NCAA tournament. :nono
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: November 9th, 2019, 2:40 pm I had to tell the Old Men's Club last night that this was NOT the #16 seed UMBC team that beat UVa 2 years ago in the NCAA tournament. :nono
"Old Men's Club" . . . . we're playing UMES not UMBC Play Basketball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: November 9th, 2019, 3:11 pm
Cider Jim wrote: November 9th, 2019, 2:40 pm I had to tell the Old Men's Club last night that this was NOT the #16 seed UMBC team that beat UVa 2 years ago in the NCAA tournament. :nono
"Old Men's Club" . . . . we're playing UMES not UMBC Play Basketball
Yep. First in your hearts, next to last in last year's final NET rankings (that's out #352 of 353).
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]