If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Yeah I’ll trade 2 views of nothing changing on the school of business and 1 of the tower looking the same, for a couple cameras on the new arena

Plz and thx Ian. Or whoever.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:After digging a hole, has much construction been happening on the new Arena? Construction Cams don’t show a lot...

Maybe same crews working on new arena are same ones working on the 460 ramp near East Campus. Seems like it's taking longer to build the ramp than it did to build West Virginia Turnpike.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:After digging a hole, has much construction been happening on the new Arena? Construction Cams don’t show a lot...

Maybe same crews working on new arena are same ones working on the 460 ramp near East Campus. Seems like it's taking longer to build the ramp than it did to build West Virginia Turnpike.
They aren't in a hurry to do the 460 ramp because they aren't foolish enough to close Liberty Mountain Drive while students are in.
By ElmersTwin
ballcoach15 wrote:

They're having to dig up and re-direct the pre-existing utility and fiber lines, which is why there's not much really happening at the moment. As far as I'm aware of, that's a major fiber path for that part of campus.
By Class of 20Something
I used to work for moores electric and can attest to the amount of fiber under the campus. A little more than two years ago we pulled about .75 miles out from underneath the Circle so commons 3 could get built.

Splicing fiber is not easy, especially when the cable is 2 inches in diameter of thousands of individual fibers. Splicers make insane money for the education required. Most start at over $50k and were younger than many students.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Splicing fiber is not easy, especially when the cable is 2 inches in diameter of thousands of individual fibers. Splicers make insane money for the education required. Most start at over $50k and were younger than many students.
I’m in the wrong line of work.

Then again, my degree is SMGT from LU. So there’s no way i’m smart enough for this.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The education is pretty straight forward but to master the technique it takes way more precision and patience than I have.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Splicing fiber is not easy, especially when the cable is 2 inches in diameter of thousands of individual fibers. Splicers make insane money for the education required. Most start at over $50k and were younger than many students.
I’m in the wrong line of work.

Then again, my degree is SMGT from LU. So there’s no way i’m smart enough for this.
I believe Cable Splicing was an Elective back in the day. But now that Satellite TV is more popular it’s probably been discontinued :D
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I did some of that stuff in the Army, in deserts of Saudi Arabia. Had to have communications in my tent.
Well, I excelled at splicing cassette tapes back in the day, so...
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
What is the progress on this project? Very little multimedia coming out of the mountain

Which I find odd
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The Vines Center has closed the men's bathroom and the concession stand on the north side of the building, and a demo crew is using some type of little jackhammer to tear down the cinder blocks in that area.

Is there no construction cam over there?
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:The Vines Center has closed the men's bathroom and the concession stand on the north side of the building, and a demo crew is using some type of little jackhammer to tear down the cinder blocks in that area.

Is there no construction cam over there?
Nope!
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
I'm going to point some things out that I noticed while in vines this weekend that I hadn't noticed when I was a student. Why in the world are there not bathrooms at the top behind the midcourt seats? it seemed odd to me. Had to walk halfway around to the gates to get to one. Also The construction in front of vines is really annoying. I know this sounds trivial but walking over from the football game in the rain and having to almost pass the arena to get to the gate was annoying.
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote:I want this so bad.

[youtube]tlFjAtNLGko[/youtube]
Who do we need to send this idea to so we can make this happen?
By ElmersTwin
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:I want this so bad.

[youtube]tlFjAtNLGko[/youtube]
Who do we need to send this idea to so we can make this happen?
There's been an ongoing tug-of-war with trying to get some AVL elements added to the new arena, only to have people not want to spend the dough to make it happen. Things have been proposed, then tabled, for the last 6-8 months, so nobody will know for a little while what's actually getting installed.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Brick & Mortar Generation vs. Tech Generation. Every major project commenced in the past 15 yeras has been fighting this battle. The former thinks the later is frivolous and the latter is sure that the former is from the Stone Age.
By Class of 20Something
Sly Fox wrote:Brick & Mortar Generation vs. Tech Generation. Every major project commenced in the past 15 yeras has been fighting this battle. The former thinks the later is frivolous and the latter is sure that the former is from the Stone Age.
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Brick & Mortar Generation vs. Tech Generation. Every major project commenced in the past 15 yeras has been fighting this battle. The former thinks the later is frivolous and the latter is sure that the former is from the Stone Age.
Lol..we already went that route with other buildings so why not this arena also.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:What is the progress on this project? Very little multimedia coming out of the mountain

Which I find odd
BUMP

no pix at all? w t f
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
YOU are supposed to be the graphic designer here... :)

If you want a picture, close your eyes and imagine a newly graded spot of land between Vines and DeMoss. Not much else to see at present.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]