If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Considering you have media TO’s at the Under 16 12 8 and 4 Mark you basically have quarters every half. Not sure what that factors out too. I’m one of the 5 out of 4 people who find math hard
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Anyone who thinks the NBA is garbage compared to college basketball simply isn’t watching the NBA. It’s such a better product than college basketball.
IMO it’s not a decision between what is better or what is worse. They really are 2 Distinctive games. I’ve still watched the occasional NBA game but it really doesn’t it interest me as much as the College Game.
I used to be this way but over the past five years the NBA game has opened up while the college game has slowed down and gotten boring so I’ve completely flip flopped.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Anyone who thinks the NBA is garbage compared to college basketball simply isn’t watching the NBA. It’s such a better product than college basketball.
I've been saying this for the past several years. If you don't like the nba you probably just prefer college sports which I can understand but the NBA is not garbage basketball.

Now late 90s/early 2000s I could at least understand that sentiment. I still watched it though.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
You are certainly entitled to your (incorrect) opinion. :)
They are different to be sure but which is better is purely a matter of preference. The college game, as a whole, displays teamwork and effort that more than makes up for the superior skill of the NBA players, IMHO.
By Jonathan Carone
flamehunter wrote:
They are different to be sure but which is better is purely a matter of preference. The college game, as a whole, displays teamwork and effort that more than makes up for the superior skill of the NBA players, IMHO.
The whole college = teamwork vs NBA = hero ball thing actually isn’t true anymore. That was definitely the case in the early 2000s but it’s flipped. The top players in the NBA are putting up huge assist numbers consistently. College ball has turned into get the best guy and let him do his thing for the 1-2 years you have him before he leaves. There are exceptions in both leagues but overall, your reasoning is outdated and not the case anymore.

And while my opinion may be incorrect to you, the ratings show the NBA growing at a record pace while college ball is declining.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I cant see how anybody could watch nba until at minimum the conference finals. Stars resting all the time. Very little defense. 2 or 3 teams with a legit shot at the title. The season goes on forever and there are wayyy too many playoff teams.

At the end of the day im not going to waste 6 months following something when i know theres only a couple teams with a shot.

College has problems too, namely the one and done rule but i still value those traditional rivalries much more. Everybody has their opinion. Thats just mine.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
IMO it’s not a decision between what is better or what is worse. They really are 2 Distinctive games. I’ve still watched the occasional NBA game but it really doesn’t it interest me as much as the College Game.
I used to be this way but over the past five years the NBA game has opened up while the college game has slowed down and gotten boring so I’ve completely flip flopped.
It makes my point though. They are 2 different games. The NBA is still about finding the match up and exploiting it. GS has changed that some but for the most part it’s the same MO. Every game will miraculously tighten up at some point to give a good 8-10 minutes of competitive basketball. Which, in an 82 plus game season with the travel is totally understandable
I ‘get’ both college and NBA basketball. I just prefer College for the most part. But I will say in the last hand full of years I’ve seen the NBA game shift some and hope it continues. Judging by the increase in ratings you probably will
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
The last part of your point indicate you haven't watched the nba since the late 90s/early 2000s

Because I could see how you may think that during that era
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I do think they are two different games, but college is moving more toward NBA than vice versa. The only holdup to four quarters in MBB is the loss of one media timeout (aka, $$$). It’s going to happen people. And the shot clock adjustments are coming too. Just book it. It will make for WAAAY better basketball.

I’m not much of an NBA guy, but that game has DEFINITELY changed. I just can’t get into it a lot in-season because of my job. I tend to watch the playoffs only. I do keep up with a lot of it’s news though, and we analyze a lot of it’s game trends at work.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
flamehunter wrote:
The last part of your point indicate you haven't watched the nba since the late 90s/early 2000s

Because I could see how you may think that during that era
I've watched plenty to know that I still prefer college ball. My actual point is that it boils down to personal preference. And if you read through all the posts on this topic I think you'll see my point is proven.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I haven't watched NBA since the 90s, and I doubt if I will ever watch it again. NBA is more like WWE than it is a basketball league. It's become "an event" more than a ball game. I'll never forget the player catching an outlet pass at mid court, made a lay up, and never put ball on the floor with a dribble.

TV time outs have turned me off on the college game. That and coaches calling a TO at the ".59" mark on clock, knowing there's a TV time out in 2 seconds (on next dead ball)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach,

If you haven’t watched since the 90’s l, the NBA has changed a LOT since then. Better officiating (although they need to get technical fouls under control), much more free-flowing of a game, and a lot less ME-ball. That said, it’s more event than contest. I’m sure you wouldn’t like all the entertainment surrounding it.

MBB should go to quarters just to eliminate one media TO from each half. But that might be precisely why they don’t go to it.
By Jonathan Carone
JK37 wrote:Better officiating (although they need to get technical fouls under control),
Zack Lowe had one of the higher ups of NBA officiating on his podcast a week or two ago. It was a fascinating look into what goes into officiating the NBA, their philosophies, and how those relationships all work together.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
JK37 wrote:Better officiating (although they need to get technical fouls under control),
Zack Lowe had one of the higher ups of NBA officiating on his podcast a week or two ago. It was a fascinating look into what goes into officiating the NBA, their philosophies, and how those relationships all work together.
That was a good podcast. I've always been a fan of NBA basketball, but Zach Lowe's articles/podcasts have made me enjoy the league even more...I feel like I understand the NBA so much more (both on and off the court) via his reporting/analysis.
By Jonathan Carone
I knew of him for a while but never paid much attention. I’ve slowly started following him more and I agree with you. He makes everything more enjoyable.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I do think they are two different games, but college is moving more toward NBA than vice versa. The only holdup to four quarters in MBB is the loss of one media timeout (aka, $$$). It’s going to happen people. And the shot clock adjustments are coming too. Just book it. It will make for WAAAY better basketball.

I’m not much of an NBA guy, but that game has DEFINITELY changed. I just can’t get into it a lot in-season because of my job. I tend to watch the playoffs only. I do keep up with a lot of it’s news though, and we analyze a lot of it’s game trends at work.
The loss of one media timeout is irrelevant.

Right now each half has 4 media timeouts (16, 12, 8, 4). Switch to quarters then you have three timeouts - two medias and one between quarters.

Easy solutions abound. Add an additional minute to the between quarter break, or add 30 seconds to the length of the under 5 media timeouts. At the end of the game, you still have the same # of advertising minutes with less forced stoppage in play.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
NBA is a vastly superior product. College game overall has gotten pretty bad these days. These new rules changes will be very welcome but there are a lot of things that need to be fixed with the officials because they are absolutely atrocious and far too often act like they are the product people paid to watch, the block/charge rules needs to be rewritten and reinterpreted from the ground up, and defensive three seconds is much needed.

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]