If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Was I the only one hoping for some Stadium coverage? Having Scar back in the Vines would have been fun.

I also admit that it is kind of cool for us Old Hags who remember our Mason-Dixon Conference showdowns with the Mount to see we are playing in the Jim Phelan Classic.

Selfishly I am hoping that if we aren't hosting follow-up rounds any road game would wind up being to Sam Houston State which is one of the four seeds with a 1st round bye. The Kemrite family and my crew could create a nice little LU cheering section with it in our backyard.
Only 20 teams in the field this year. I believe they were hoping for 32, and they had 26 the past 2 years. Apparently times are tough for a lot of mid-major programs if they can't find enough willing to pony up.

Interesting that there is no Jim McLendon Classic this year, but I'm all for honoring Jim Phelan, who was both a rival and a mentor to the young Jeff Meyer back in the MDAC days.
What an honor to be chosen to play in a "classic". :roll: Those 8 teams will need to win 5 games to be champions while the other 12 only need 4, and their 2nd round games will be against the top 4 seeds. Also a bit sketchy IMHO that a LA-Monroe team that went 16-15 with an RPI of 217 and IL-Chicago at 17-15 with a 236 RPI get a bye to the quarters if they win their first round game. :dontgetit

For the record, the top 4 seeds getting first round byes seem to be legit picks. San Diego with a 144 RPI and Central MI with 169 got the worst deals of all the " classic" teams.
I am guessing Kemrite is done. Viewing this tournament as extra practice time for the young guys. Also, Cabill has been dinged up. Let him heal up.
We didn’t play great at all. Fortunately A&T played even worse worse.
Old Red wrote:Anybody know why Kemrite & Cabill weren’t warming up with the team earlier?
I missed the game but caught the post-game show which mentioned injuries for both Kemrite and Cabill.
PAFlame wrote:The less awful team won today.
That is ridiculously harsh. We just beat a 20 win team by 13 with 2 starters out and another (Cuffee) hampered by a sore back. I'll concede our first half offense was bad, but guess what, we led at the half anyway, and I am not going to say that NC A&T only scoring 21 in the first half was solely due to their poor play. When you are top 10 in the nation in scoring defense, you deserve the benefit of any doubt on that. How you can say we were "awful" in the second half baffles me.
ALAFlamesFan wrote:I am guessing Kemrite is done. Viewing this tournament as extra practice time for the young guys. Also, Cabill has been dinged up. Let him heal up.
Dead wrong on Kemrite. If his back is better he will play next game and beyond. Do you actually think McKay would want to deny his only Senior the chance to play in postseason, or that Ryan would choose to "hang it up" of his own accord? :roll: :roll:

McKay gave a strange diagnosis of Cabbil's injury, referring to it as a "muscle thing". Apparently it is unrelated to his ongoing knee problems.
You may be right on Kemrite but there is precedent since earlier this year Ryan went to Coach and asked to sit out one of our D3 games to give the young guys some minutes.
This is the post season but it is not like it's the NCAA's. This is valuable tournament experience and prep for future BSC tournament and NCAA/NIT appearances. It is important and we should try and win it but it is different imo
ALAFlamesFan wrote:You may be right on Kemrite but there is precedent since earlier this year Ryan went to Coach and asked to sit out one of our D3 games to give the young guys some minutes.
This is the post season but it is not like it's the NCAA's. This is valuable tournament experience and prep for future BSC tournament and NCAA/NIT appearances. It is important and we should try and win it but it is different imo
This is sooooooooo different than Ryan volunteering to sit against Taccoa Falls. You can bet he wants to play in these games, and no way Ritchie is going to deny him the opportunity if he is healthy.
Well, it was a theory (kinda like that evolution thing). Wofford is in fact hosting a second round game against Central Michigan. Looks like either Sly is getting his wish for a game in Houston or we will be following the direction of Horace Greely. Still possible Sam Houston State, Northern Colorado or Portland State could come to the Burg, but not very likely
Last edited by olldflame on March 13th, 2018, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olldflame wrote:Well, it was a theory (kinda like that evolution thing). Wofford is in fact hosting a second round game against Central Michigan. Looks like either Sly is getting his wish for a game in Houston or we will be following the direction of Horace Greely.
"Go west young man, go west." Study
Cider Jim wrote:
olldflame wrote:Well, it was a theory (kinda like that evolution thing). Wofford is in fact hosting a second round game against Central Michigan. Looks like either Sly is getting his wish for a game in Houston or we will be following the direction of Horace Greely.
"Go west young man, go west." Study
:nod As in Colorado or Oregon.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]