If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Interested in your thoughts on McDevitt, kingaling. What kind of job do you think it would take to pry him away from UNCA? Hard to find a coach of his standing who has spent his entire post-HS basketball career at the same place. 20 years as player, assistant coach, associate HC and now HC and he is only 38 years old. Over half his life with that program.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
In my opinion, Radford is just a notch above DIII. They probably have worst facilities in D1 overall, with Longwood a very very close 2nd. I don't see how they recruit as well as they do, unless their standards are so low, anyone can get accepted.
I recall when Radford was a girl's school.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:In my opinion, Radford is just a notch above DIII. They probably have worst facilities in D1 overall, with Longwood a very very close 2nd. I don't see how they recruit as well as they do, unless their standards are so low, anyone can get accepted.
Your opinion in this case is not in line with reality. I'm guessing their softball field is a dump, but overall Radford's facilities are mediocre, but not even close to being the worst in the BSC, let alone D1. They aren't close to having the lowest academic standards either. Not with Chuck South in your league. 8)
By kingaling42
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Interested in your thoughts on McDevitt, kingaling. What kind of job do you think it would take to pry him away from UNCA? Hard to find a coach of his standing who has spent his entire post-HS basketball career at the same place. 20 years as player, assistant coach, associate HC and now HC and he is only 38 years old. Over half his life with that program.
As I am close personal friends with Nick- it isn't my place to disclose what I know to anyone but him. I know he had some interest last off-season from programs that approached him. I imagine he'll draw interest from programs again this year with a regular season title and post-season appearance in NIT with having one of the smallest budgets in D1. I don't usually ask him about many specific bball things when we hang out because he has enough bball stuff to deal with the rest of the time.

That said, I don't think it's hard to figure out that he could easily remain in WNC and be a lifer but UNC Asheville has some small minded folks and has limitations if he has further aspirations. I will say that he's not going to haphazardly leave UNCA- if and/or when he leaves it will be for the right reasons for him and his family. His father was Governor Hunt's chief of staff so he has a pretty good advisor in his corner already and he's got Coach B and some others to advise as well- he'll be patient because he's got good job security (for now as it is in sports) and if the right situation comes along it will be interesting to see if he goes after it. The specifics as I said on our board is something I'll leave to others to ponder.. I can neither confirm nor deny without approval!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:In my opinion, Radford is just a notch above DIII. They probably have worst facilities in D1 overall, with Longwood a very very close 2nd. I don't see how they recruit as well as they do, unless their standards are so low, anyone can get accepted.
Your opinion in this case is not in line with reality. I'm guessing their softball field is a dump, but overall Radford's facilities are mediocre, but not even close to being the worst in the BSC, let alone D1. They aren't close to having the lowest academic standards either. Not with Chuck South in your league. 8)
Again, this would have been more than sufficient
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
CBI and CIT are pay for play, but the extra practice time will help in the long run, and the psyche of your squad is that they will actually want to be there, while, say a Winthrop, wouldn't be motivated.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This is why it's hard to believe you're real and not just a troll. Sadly you're opinions are real and not at all intended to troll us.

With that said your opinion is worthless. Stick to softball.
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote:
This is why it's hard to believe you're real and not just a troll. Sadly you're opinions are real and not at all intended to troll us.

With that said your opinion is worthless. Stick to softball.
No kidding. At some point it's just willful ignorance. I would be amused by an opposing fan spouting his nonsense, but because he is a fan of the flames, I'm left feeling shame.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Back on topic. NCAA, NIT, CBI, and CIT, that's about 150 teams in the post season. It's basketball's version of bowl games where it use to be 3-4 bowls and now its @ 40. Anyway our RPI is 212 out of @ 350 teams. We'll be very fortunate to get an invite IMHO, so I'm on my knees hoping for answered prayer. :pray
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Facility wise. Liberty unca and winthrop would be the top 3 from what i can see. Longwood and CSU are clearly the 2 worst. I would say radford is bottom 4 and interchangeable with presby.

Baseball wise. Lu winthrop and high point are easily the top 3 to me. Outside of that the rest are all similar and not very impressive.

Former members coastal and vmi would have have been in the top echelon for sure.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Back on topic. NCAA, NIT, CBI, and CIT, that's about 150 teams in the post season. It's basketball's version of bowl games where it use to be 3-4 bowls and now its @ 40. Anyway our RPI is 212 out of @ 350 teams. We'll be very fortunate to get an invite IMHO, so I'm on my knees hoping for answered prayer. :pray
You can't go by RPI. Wake Forest is 11-20 with an RPI of 148. They obviously aren't going anywhere, and there are dozens of teams from high major conferences just like them. The CIT and CBI were started specifically for mid-major teams with winning records to get a chance to play in post season. We got into the CIT last year with 19 wins overall, no real quality wins OOC, and a first round loss in our conference tourney. I will be shocked if we don't get an invite with a better resume this year.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:The CIT and CBI were started specifically for mid-major teams with winning records to get a chance to play in post season. We got into the CIT last year with 19 wins overall, no real quality wins OOC, and a first round loss in our conference tourney. I will be shocked if we don't get an invite with a better resume this year.
Olldflame, you know more about this than most of us do, and I really hope you are RIGHT. :pray
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Someone already said it: CIT is “pay for play”. So go buy your tickets now. If LU knows anything, it’s thinking money solves all ills.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Someone already said it: CIT is “pay for play”. So go buy your tickets now. If LU knows anything, it’s thinking money solves all ills.
You are correct on that, but also, if you look at the slots to be filled and the low/mid major teams out there who aren't getting an autobid to either the NCAA or NIT, our resume holds up pretty well. It may in fact not matter because of the financial element, but I believe we belong, and as I stated earlier, it is IMHO well within the realm of possibility for a team like Liberty to win either of those tourneys. Not something you are going to actually predict, because there is a lot of parity and it requires 4-5 straight wins, but the reality is, some team is going to do it. Last year in the CIT, that team was St. Peters, who entered the tournament at 19-13, and had no really impressive wins on their resume.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
:clapping Play Basketball :clapping
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Money talks.
You are making it sound like we bribed our way into this thing. There is a $50,000 entrance fee which EVERY team pays. Yes, I suppose it is possible there may end up being a cash strapped team or 2 that is more "worthy" but decides it's not worth it, but with 32 slots planned this year, I believe there was one for us regardless.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Can’t say “regardless”, because if LU didn’t have the money it wouldn’t be in. But I get your point. I hoped we’d go on road winnable early and then pay for a second round home game. Easier path to title.

We wouldn’t be hosting without ponying-up.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Can’t say “regardless”, because if LU didn’t have the money it wouldn’t be in. But I get your point. I hoped we’d go on road winnable early and then pay for a second round home game. Easier path to title.

By "regardless", I meant even if there was not an entrance fee. I really don't know how they handle hosting, but I don't believe it's a competitive bid thing. Last year we hosted 2 games and then Ritchie turned down a chance at a 3rd to give the team road tourney experience against UMBC. He may or may not regret that enough to host every game possible this go round.

After further reflection, I realized that in fact it's not even possible that our hosting (the first round game anyway) was a result of a higher bid, since noone even knows who our opponent will be. My best guess is the CIT gets a % of the gate and they choose hosts based on potential attendance and other factors. Liberty has an outstanding rep for being good at hosting things.
Last edited by olldflame on March 8th, 2018, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Whether playing at home or on road, this tournament will give us the post season experience we need.
Brilliant, and so true.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
JK37 wrote:Can’t say “regardless”, because if LU didn’t have the money it wouldn’t be in. But I get your point. I hoped we’d go on road winnable early and then pay for a second round home game. Easier path to title.

By "regardless", I meant even if there was not an entrance fee. I really don't know how they handle hosting, but I don't believe it's a competitive bid thing. Last year we hosted 2 games and then Ritchie turned down a chance at a 3rd to give the team road tourney experience against UMBC. He may or may not regret that enough to host every game possible this go round.

After further investigation, I realized that in fact it's the CBI that has the $50,000 entry fee. Could not verify whether the CIT even has one, but they do have a hosting fee of $30,000.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
After finding conflicting info on Wikipedia and various other internet sources, this article seems to have the scoop on costs for the CIT (although it is a couple of years old.)

http://collegead.com/clearing-the-air-a ... -vegas-16/

Bottom line is that there actually is no entry fee per se, but each team must "be willing" to host "either of the first 2 rounds" at a cost of $38,500. Unless I'm mistaken, this means that visiting teams who lose in the first round would pay nothing. Travel expenses for visiting teams and officials are paid from this hosting charge. In 2010 Pacific went aill the way to the final, was never asked to host, and they paid nothing from their Athletic Dept. budget Host keeps all gate receipts and concessions. Based on this, our 3 games last year cost us $77,000 minus whatever we made on ticket sales and concessions. A bargain IMHO.

Another interesting tidbit is they claim they have never had a team decline a bid.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]