If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We should go to whatever tournament invites us. The NIT would be best, but I don't see us getting a bid for that one.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We should go to whatever tournament invites us. The NIT would be best, but I don't see us getting a bid for that one.
With Asheville getting the NIT automatic bid for being regular season champs, I don't see any way they take another BSC team with a resume like ours.
By Flames5
olldflame wrote:
LUalumfromnc wrote:No stupid not NIT tournaments!!!! That disappointing team doesn't deserve to go anywhere!!!! Hopefully we will be in a more than one bid league in the future!!!! Please let it be as soon as possible!!!!
I would be fascinated to hear your thoughts on what league we might possibly join that is not a one bid league for MBB.

Conference USA ....... one bid
Sun Belt .................. one bid
MAC ........................ one bid

Who else is there? The one possibility that has even been discussed is staying Indy in football and trying to get into the A-10. They are projected to have a whopping 2 bids this year. It really doesn't matter anyway, because we currently have ZERO chance to be invited there, or anywhere else where they are likely to get more than one.

Reality check dude..... Out of 32 D1 conferences, 23 are projected to have only one bid this year.
AAC lol
By Class of 20Something
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:We should go to whatever tournament invites us. The NIT would be best, but I don't see us getting a bid for that one.
With Asheville getting the NIT automatic bid for being regular season champs, I don't see any way they take another BSC team with a resume like ours.
We have a habit of being giant(term used very loosely) killers. WF, Winthrop, UNCAx2 all on the road. I'd bring us in just for the story line.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
olldflame wrote:
We have a habit of being giant(term used very loosely) killers. WF, Winthrop, UNCAx2 all on the road. I'd bring us in just for the story line.
Nobody cares that Liberty beat a terrible Wake Forest team along with 2 teams from a terrible conference. There is no storyline.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Flames5 wrote:
olldflame wrote:
LUalumfromnc wrote:No stupid not NIT tournaments!!!! That disappointing team doesn't deserve to go anywhere!!!! Hopefully we will be in a more than one bid league in the future!!!! Please let it be as soon as possible!!!!
I would be fascinated to hear your thoughts on what league we might possibly join that is not a one bid league for MBB.

Conference USA ....... one bid
Sun Belt .................. one bid
MAC ........................ one bid

Who else is there? The one possibility that has even been discussed is staying Indy in football and trying to get into the A-10. They are projected to have a whopping 2 bids this year. It really doesn't matter anyway, because we currently have ZERO chance to be invited there, or anywhere else where they are likely to get more than one.

Reality check dude..... Out of 32 D1 conferences, 23 are projected to have only one bid this year.
AAC lol
Lol is right as things stand now, but the fact is that long term, it's probably the best and most realistic landing place for us in terms of an all-sports conference, and yes, they are projected to have 3 bids this year and are capable of 2-4 on a regular basis. We actually gave one of their best basketball teams (Houston) all they could handle early this year, but we are sooooooooooo far away from being able to compete at that level in football, and that would be the key to being considered. I'm thinking 6to 8 years of exceeding all expectations at the FBS level to even get a sniff. The other thing is they have 12 teams and have no need or desire to expand as far as I know, but that could change if a couple of their current teams had the opportunity to move up a notch.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:I imagine our RPI isn't going to be real attractive.
RealTimeRPI has Liberty at 212.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
Chippy wrote:I imagine our RPI isn't going to be real attractive.
RealTimeRPI has Liberty at 212.
No chance for an NIT bid. I can't remember what our RPI was last year, but we got a CIT bid and hosted with 19 wins and a first round exit from the BSC tourney.

The RPI has it's place, but one or 2 bad losses can kill you. If we don't lose to Longwood and beat Houston (2 point loss to RPI #19) I guesstimate we are about 30 spots higher.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I doubt if NIT plays close attention to RPI.
I doubt you actually have any clue whether they do or not. Doesn't matter. This year's Liberty team does not have the resume for an NIT at large bid. Their track record is to load up with high major teams that were on or near the NCAA bubble. That and the automatic bids from regular season champs of mid/low major conferences who lost in their conference tourney (like Asheville) pretty much fills out their field.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Here is my question--are we better team than last year? Discuss.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think we're better. We beat Wake Forest and almost beat Houston. But I think we were a better team early in season than we were at the end.

(no team should beat Wake Forest, play Houston close, and then lose to Radford. ( or Longwood)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Here is my question--are we better team than last year? Discuss.
No question in my mind. Our non conference results were way better, and we came within a hair of winning the BSC tourney. The fall off in regular season conference play can be attributed to a combination of conference opponents becoming more familiar with the pack line and (go ahead and rip me for saying it, but it happened) a span of games where we were severely affected by illness, injury and suspension. In spite of that, we got over the Winthrop/Asheville hump and actually took 4 of 5 from the perennial BSC powers.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I doubt if NIT plays close attention to RPI.
I doubt you actually have any clue whether they do or not. Doesn't matter. This year's Liberty team does not have the resume for an NIT at large bid. Their track record is to load up with high major teams that were on or near the NCAA bubble. That and the automatic bids from regular season champs of mid/low major conferences who lost in their conference tourney (like Asheville) pretty much fills out their field.
That was sufficient
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think we're better. We beat Wake Forest and almost beat Houston. But I think we were a better team early in season than we were at the end.

(no team should beat Wake Forest, play Houston close, and then lose to Radford. ( or Longwood)
I would add to those results the win over GA State and 3OT loss to UNCG. Both of those teams will be playing in a post season tournament.

Radford far exceeded expectations this year, but that doesn't mean they aren't a good team. They will likely be our toughest challengers the next couple of years, even if Jones can cash in this championship for a better job.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:You are correct, I don't have a clue as to NIT and RPI, but if I had to guess I would say it doesn't.
They certainly look at it. How closely is up for debate.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think we're better. We beat Wake Forest and almost beat Houston. But I think we were a better team early in season than we were at the end.

Not to take anything away from the Wake Forest win because we struggled to win any D1 games not so long ago, but that Wake Forest team isn't very good.

Losing to Radford on a last second desperation 3 is nothing to be ashamed of. I realize you think LU is better than we are but you're really making yourself look even more silly than normal.
By kingaling42
Registration Days Posts
Radford is better than Wake Forest this year- don't let conference affiliation sway you in that regard. Team results very early in the season are also misleading as well most times- there are a number of teams that are a lot better at the end of the year.. Does Liberty beat Wake Forest or play Houston that close if the games aren't in the Vines Center due to the hurricanes? I'm guessing it was an easier adjustment for your team to not travel and host than it would have been to go through the travel stuff and then play on a neutral court for instance. So I wonder why some of you would put so much stock into those games versus the conference run you had at the end of the year?

Liberty got over the hump with Asheville this year in the last 2 games because they stopped doubling the post.. 'Dogs were killing LU with outside shooting and quick decisions/passes out of the post before that adjustment.. It was a good move and difference maker..

As for the comparison of why basketball teams win/lose to certain teams- that's just basketball.. on any given day a team can get beat, don't make the correlation that that means that the winning team is actually better overall- they were certainly better that game but that's about all you should get from individual games..

As for going forward to next year- keep in mind the divisional format which will have Radford, Liberty, Hampton, High Point, and Campbell (and Shortwood) in the North.. Hampton is the #1 seeded MEAC team and returns almost everyone from this current team.. so they'll come into league play with some talent and experience.. the South division will be reloading but good programs find their way and WU/UNCA won't be down long..
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I don't disagree with you on Wake kingaling, but in spite of their record, both Kenpom and RPI show them as the best team we beat this year by a pretty wide margin.

Hard to know how good teams will be next year until the coaching carousel and transfers sort themselves out. Will Jones be able to leverage this year into a better job, and can Radford keep their prized Freshman whether he stays or goes? Asheville looks like they have a nice recruiting class, but are certainly losing 2 good ones in Thomas and Vanetta. Then there is the issue of whether Teague will go the route so many other good UNCA players have after establishing himself as someone with the ability to play at a higher level. Does McDevitt promise him the Rowsey green light treatment to keep him around?

I appreciate you checking in with your BSC insight BTW. Hope you will continue to do so.
By kingaling42
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:Liberty beat Wake Forest at their place.
+1, Good point- my reference site (warrennolan) didn't indicate that so in my haste I didn't double-check elsewhere..

As for the possible movement- we all know there is going to be movement with players transferring/leaving, coaching changes, etc.. UNCA has been losing high caliber guys who have been good contributors at LSU, Marquette, Arizona, and L'ville and still has been able to reload and maintain a high level so unless McDevitt moves on I expect it won't be long that UNCA is down especially as the more talented teams on paper are in the North division next year.. In the South only CSU returns a decent core group.. If McDevitt stays I don't think Teague leaves but I've been surprised before (Sutton)..
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I know that most all teams lose games they should win, but LU should never lose to Radford...........in any sport.
I probably should know better than to ask, but (other than the fact that you "not like them") what do you base that on?

Other than nicer facilities, we really can't offer much to prospective players that they can't, and in fact, they can and do sign kids who would never think of coming to Liberty (nor in some cases would we want them to). Same conference, same number of scholarships, and in basketball (by conference mandate) they even offer a FCOA stipend. So where do you get that we should never lose to them?
Volleyball Coach

Pinder is down in Wilmington, NC. Owns a couple of[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2024/04/26/liberty-un[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Going to play for old HCHF OL coach Klenakis and J[…]

Virginia Tech

The football team and basketball teams would like […]