If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Welp, this should be a quick tournament for us. :(
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
They have beaten us twice this year, both of them in close games. Hope that old saying that beating a team 3 times in one year holds up here. Coach McKay does a great job of representing our university.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here's a thought/question:

Have we ever lost in the Big South Tournament championship game?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Here's a thought/question:

Oh, yes.
By libertyfan4life
Registration Days Posts

Historically, LU has had a couple of close semifinal game losses (in 2001 we lost to Winthrop in 2OT. And in 2003 Radford beat us with a brutal semifinal buzzer beater 52-55).

BUT, LU actually hasn't lost a BSC Championship game since the 1995-96 and 1996-97 seasons.

Obviously in 94", 04" and 13" we were victorious in the BSC Championships to go on to the NCAA Tourney.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sunday will be Liberty's 6th BSC final. We are currently 3-2

94 Neutral court W at N Charleston Coliseum over Campbell
96 Home court L to a very good UNC-Greensboro team
97 Home court L to Chuck South
04 Home court blowout W over HP
13 Neutral court W over CSU at Coastal
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts

Yes. Most notable was the 1st year the Women won the Tournament. I ended up having sex with one of their assistant coaches awhile later. :pbjtime :cheerleader :checkeredflag
But the Men’s team were supposed to win handily. Had T Shirts made up and everything
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:

Yes. Most notable was the 1st year the Women won the Tournament. I ended up having sex with one of their assistant coaches awhile later. :pbjtime :cheerleader :checkeredflag
But the Men’s team were supposed to win handily. Had T Shirts made up and everything
So, does that remain a fringe benefit when the Appomattox girls win?

You are right about the expectations on the men's team those years when we hosted the tourney. IMHO the pressure on them was almost palpable, and pretty much negated the home court advantage.
By LUOrange
That team int he 1990's was filled with the talents of Peter Aluma, Josh Dixon, Barry Taylor, Larry Jackson, and Marcus White (starting lineup I believe). They were fun to watch and we consistently had 5-6K fans watching. They started our school's tradition of losing when we should win.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

So, does that remain a fringe benefit when the Appomattox girls win?

You are right about the expectations on the men's team those years when we hosted the tourney. IMHO the pressure on them was almost palpable, and pretty much negated the home court advantage.
Yes. When they win the Conference Tournament. We are hoping to finally make the Chanpionship Game next year. :D (or at least I am)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote:That team int he 1990's was filled with the talents of Peter Aluma, Josh Dixon, Barry Taylor, Larry Jackson, and Marcus White (starting lineup I believe). They were fun to watch and we consistently had 5-6K fans watching. They started our school's tradition of losing when we should win.
You are no doubt referring to Jason Dixon. Marcus White became eligible the year after he graduated, so they never played together. I've always shied away from saying things like "should win". For instance, the UNCG team that beat us in the final was a better team than we were. They gave Cincinnati all they could handle in their NCAA game, and until the height of the Marshall dynasty at WU they were the best BSC team ever.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
LUOrange wrote:That team int he 1990's was filled with the talents of Peter Aluma, Josh Dixon, Barry Taylor, Larry Jackson, and Marcus White (starting lineup I believe). They were fun to watch and we consistently had 5-6K fans watching. They started our school's tradition of losing when we should win.
Marcus White became eligible the year after he graduated
Sounds about right. :lol: :lol: Play Basketball
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I wouldnt be surprised if the athletic office went into scramble marketing mode as soon as the game went final last night...are LU students still in town or no?
By cruzan_flame13
BJWilliams wrote:I wouldnt be surprised if the athletic office went into scramble marketing mode as soon as the game went final last night...are LU students still in town or no?
Yes they are; spring break is a couple weeks away.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thanks Cruzan...and I looked on twitter and sure enough...they went into scramble marketing mode...Athletics twitter, Men's Hoops Twitter and even LUradioPxP are blasting to get the students out there (and already they have transportation lined up too)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:
Marcus White became eligible the year after he graduated
Sounds about right. :lol: :lol: Play Basketball
Unfortunately, unless he went back to school elsewhere and got his degree, the phrase "he graduated" would not apply to Marcus.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Manson just tweeted this:

What makes McKay's accomplishment even more impressive is that he has done it in just 5 seasons and only 2 of the other 4 20 win seasons were at the D1 level. Here are all 7:

1979-80 coached by Dale Gibson...... 28-11 NCCAA Champions
1982-83 coached by Jeff Meyer ....... 23-9 Finished 5th at NAIA Finals
1991-92 coached by Jeff Meyer ....... 22-7 Big South Semis
1996-97 coached by Jeff Meyer ....... 23-9 Big South Final
2008-09 coached by Ritchie McKay ... 22-13 CIT Quarterfinal
2016-17 coached by Ritchie McKay ... 21-14 CIT Quarterfinal
2017-18 coached by Ritchie McKay 20 wins and counting

To date, NONE of these 20 win teams were conference champions. Hopefully that will change tomorrow.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Unfortunately, unless he went back to school elsewhere and got his degree, the phrase "he graduated" would not apply to Marcus.
I'm not sure about the diploma, but Marcus White finished his playing eligibility at Biola University.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Has anyone seen ticket prices? Dont want to
By LUOrange
olldflame wrote:
You are no doubt referring to Jason Dixon. Marcus White became eligible the year after he graduated, so they never played together. I've always shied away from saying things like "should win". For instance, the UNCG team that beat us in the final was a better team than we were. They gave Cincinnati all they could handle in their NCAA game, and until the height of the Marshall dynasty at WU they were the best BSC team ever.
You're right. For some reason, I had in my head "Josh Dixon" and that he played a year or two with Marcus. Obviously, I'm blurring my fond memories of LU basketball in the 90's. The games were always fun to to go to. I guess I'm getting old.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm pretty excited about this game. I remember hating Radford so much. Their fans were awful and it was just so much fun to beat them.

I'm older now, more mature and not so petty so of course that doesn't matter. I just want to win. I am a total Ritchie McKay fanboy. I want our program to rise to new heights and I want RM to be the man to take us there.

Of course winning tomorrow won't mean that is what is happening but it would be a step in the right direction. Unlike our last championship I feel like this team is good enough to deserve it and it's not a fluke.

I am officially sipping the kool aid. It doesn't happen often but I'm enjoying this ride. I'll be hitting the early service tomorrow morning leaving plenty of time to get home and settle in.

I may end up being disappointed but I'll enjoy the ride.

**BJ, sorry for the grammatical errors and typos.
By LUOrange
thepostman wrote:I'm pretty excited about this game. I remember hating Radford so much. Their fans were awful and it was just so much fun to beat them.

I'm older now, more mature and not so petty so of course that doesn't matter. I just want to win. I am a total Ritchie McKay fanboy. I want our program to rise to new heights and I want RM to be the man to take us there.

Of course winning tomorrow won't mean that is what is happening but it would be a step in the right direction. Unlike our last championship I feel like this team is good enough to deserve it and it's not a fluke.

I am officially sipping the kool aid. It doesn't happen often but I'm enjoying this ride. I'll be hitting the early service tomorrow morning leaving plenty of time to get home and settle in.

I may end up being disappointed but I'll enjoy the ride.

**BJ, sorry for the grammatical errors and typos.
Radford used to have a really "nice" dance team.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Radford University
Radford, Virginia

RU Official Site

Mike Jones
7th Season as RU Head Coach

2017-2018 Schedule/Results
  • Overall ........ 21-12
    Big South .... 12-6
    Home .......... 10-2

• 11.10 - 7:00 P.M. - GEORGIA SOUTHWESTERN .................... W 72-63
    11.12 - 2:30 P.M. - @ OHIO STATE ......................................... L 72-82
    11.15 - 7:00 P.M. - @ EAST CAROLINA ................................... W 73-66
    11.22 - 7:00 P.M. - @ ELON ................................................... L 74-77
    11.25 - 4:00 P.M. - JMU ......................................................... W 69-68
    11.28 - 8:00 P.M. - @ VANDERBILT ......................................... L 62-74
    12.02 - 1:00 P.M. - @ VMI ...................................................... W 63-50
    12.06 - 6:00 P.M. - @ VIRGINIA TECH .................................... L 68-95
    12.09 - 4:00 P.M. - ERSKINE .................................................. W 76-49

CONTINENTAL TIRE LAS VEGAS CLASSIC
    12.17 - 5:30 P.M. - @ NEVADA ............................................... L 62-77
    12.19 - 10:00 P.M. - @ SAN FRANCISCO ............................... L 41-52
    12.22 - 3:00 P.M. - vs. NC A&T ............................................... W 66-60
    12.23 - 5:30 P.M. - vs. UC DAVIS ............................................ W 72-62 (OT)

12.30 - 4:00 P.M. - PRESBYTERIAN* ....................................... W 78-62
    01.03 - 7:00 P.M. - WINTHROP* ............................................. W 85-79
    01.06 - 4:00 P.M. - UNC ASHEVILLE* ...................................... W 90-70
    01.09 - 7:30 P.M. - @ CHARLESTON SOUTHERN* ................... W 64-61
    01.12 - 7:00 P.M. - @ GARDNER-WEBB* .................................. L 54-59
    01.15 - 7:00 P.M. - LIBERTY* ................................................... W 59-57
    01.18 - 7:00 P.M. - LONGWOOD* ............................................ W 70-63
    01.21 - 2:00 P.M. - @ CAMPBELL* ........................................... L 56-59
    01.24 - 7:00 P.M. - @ HIGH POINT* ......................................... W 78-76
    01.27 - 2:00 P.M. - CHARLESTON SOUTHERN* ........................ L 81-84 (OT)
    02.01 - 7:00 P.M. - GARDNER-WEBB* ...................................... W 70-66
    02.03 - 2:00 P.M. - @ WINTHROP* .......................................... L 57-75
    02.07 - 7:00 P.M. - HIGH POINT* ............................................. L 60-61
    02.10 - 2:00 P.M. - @ UNC ASHEVILLE ..................................... L 64-66
    02.15 - 9:00 P.M. - CAMPBELL* ................................................ W 72-53
    02.13 - 3:00 P.M. - PRESBYTERIAN* ......................................... W 74-68
    02.22 - 7:00 P.M. - @ LIBERTY* ............................................... W 63-50
    02.24 - 3:00 P.M. - @ LONGWOOD* .......................................... W 70-47

2018 BIG SOUTH TOURNAMENT
    03.01 - 1:00 P.M. - #10 SEED LONGWOOD ............................... W 59-53
    03.02 - 6:00 P.M. - #3 SEED WINTHROP IN ASHEVILLE ........... W 61-52
    03.04 - 1:00 P.M. - #5 Seed LIBERTY - CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

Key Player
    Ed Polite Jr.
    6' 5" 200 lbs Junior Forward
    Thru 33 Games: Averaging 13.6 Pts, 7.9 Rebs & 1.4 Assists + 49.2 FG% + 64 Steals

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]