If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Apparently JR deleted his Tweet
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
A day late.

He doesn't think most of the time before he tweets. He should just delete his account all together because when does tweet he doesn't do himself or the school any favors.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
VarsityLu wrote:Anyone else missing A.C. Reid during that last possession? I guess Radford got their revenge.

Great season, though, really. They are improving and probably the biggest thing I see is the expectation level rising. As a coach, I have learned that kids tend to play up to the expectations placed on them. Obviously, they don't always hit the mark 100% of the time, but for the most part I think the concept is true. The fact that people are complaining about back-to-back 20-win seasons where we advanced to the BSC game and took it to the wire shows that expectations are climbing.

Good job Flames & RMK and staff. Can't wait till next season.
Not one little bit. He was 46-145 from 3 for us last year and 2-25 this year for TN St. before hanging it up mid season. The 2 buzzer beaters he made only were good because he missed them so badly they banked in. The fault on that possession is not all on Cabbel, we failed to execute our offense to get someone a better shot, preferably taking it to the hole.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Jon, agreed. McKay has shown continuous improvement and represents the university with class. That is pretty much all one can ask.
Flameshaw, I've read your post 3 times, and I can't find anything negative. Has someone hacked your account? :wink:
Well Jim, I just call them like I see em. Now if we were talking about football......................................... 8)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Saturday, I had an individual ask me in South Carolina, "why does Liberty play so many non D1 teams in basketball ?

I has no answer for him.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I imagine it's extremely hard to get D1 teams to come here over finals week and the holidays. I'm sure all teams want to stay home with finals week and over the holidays when there are no students here. Once we gain a better basketball reputation then we might draw teams. Heck we're the BSC. EVERY team in the BSC plays 2-3 non D1 teams, even Winthrop.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Saturday, I had an individual ask me in South Carolina, "why does Liberty play so many non D1 teams in basketball ?

I has no answer for him.
I'm sure that people thought the same about Davidson before Steph came along. When there are over 300 D1 schools, most people aren't familiar with the teams that don't get big media coverage.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I’m certain we probably paid Howard and UMES to play here. We’ll have to do more of that to get more D1s to play here.

I’m sure we only played Wake Forest because we knew it was money game we could win.

Personally I don’t mind the open game and games over winter break being non D1. It’s understandable. Even WVU played an exhibition against Wheeling Jesuit during finals!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Saturday, I had an individual ask me in South Carolina, "why does Liberty play so many non D1 teams in basketball ?

I has no answer for him.
" So many" was 3 this year. 2 is probably ideal. There are legit basketball reasons to schedule a cupcake or 2 early. It is also not a coincidence that our 3 non-D1 opponents were all (somewhat) like-minded, faith based schools. It helps them out financially and gives their players a chance to experience the game at a higher level.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The other side to the strategy is to play non-DI’s around finals and/or between Christmas and New Year’s because you’re trying to get played back into rhythm at those times.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I wouldn’t be so sure we paid Howard and/or UMES. HOME-and-home can be a nice way to get a road win against them.

ANY road win is nice.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:I’m certain we probably paid Howard and UMES to play here. We’ll have to do more of that to get more D1s to play here.

I’m sure we only played Wake Forest because we knew it was money game we could win.

Personally I don’t mind the open game and games over winter break being non D1. It’s understandable. Even WVU played an exhibition against Wheeling Jesuit during finals!
We will know in the next year or 2 if those were money games. I'm thinking Howard was more likely a home and home. I agree that bringing in tough opponents during holiday/semester break to play in front of sparse crowds makes no sense.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:Even WVU played an exhibition against Wheeling Jesuit during finals!
Are we really using WVU as an example to follow? :brownbag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
jbock13 wrote:Even WVU played an exhibition against Wheeling Jesuit during finals!
Are we really using WVU as an example to follow? :brownbag
Why would we not !?!?!?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
:rofl I want the bar to be raised higher than that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote::rofl I want the bar to be raised higher than that.
Good luck. Do you know how many bars are in Morgantown! Study :twist
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
KK needs to mandate only two non D1 games per year, it helps to avoid worrying about the 16 seed in most cases. Save those non D-1 games for around holidays/exams. Frankly, those non D-1 should only be D2 teams, no NAIA or D3 fodder. You look at teams in D2 like Lincoln Memorial and Queens, and those squads would actually be challenging.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I like your thinking. But In coaches’ eyes, “challenging” defeats the purpose. Admins won’t be crazy in favor either. If a low-major is forming over cash, it better be for s guaranteed W.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
Solid win by RU. I believe they held LIU-Brooklyn without, or at most just 1, field goal for the last 7 minutes of the game.

Jones nearly had a triple double for them.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Anyone know what C.H.E.E.S.E stands for on Radford shooting shirts?
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
No. How about that black patch too with the initials on their uniforms. Nice to see Jones share his faith in the postgame interview, regardless of the fact the bimbo who interviewed him had her headlights blatantly 'on' all night.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
g-webb1994 wrote:No. How about that black patch too with the initials on their uniforms. Nice to see Jones share his faith in the postgame interview, regardless of the fact the bimbo who interviewed him had her headlights blatantly 'on' all night.
I’m glad someone other than my wife and I noticed that :shock: Good thing I was wearing my glasses. Could have poked an eye out!
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
g-webb1994 wrote:No. How about that black patch too with the initials on their uniforms. Nice to see Jones share his faith in the postgame interview, regardless of the fact the bimbo who interviewed him had her headlights blatantly 'on' all night.
The black patch with the letters 'PH' is for Paul Hershey, who worked in Radford's Sports Information/Communications Dept and passed away over the summer from injuries sustained in a car accident:

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/ ... dd871.html
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I hope it doesn't feel like I'm spanning you guys, but we had Mike Jones on our podcast tonight. The entire interview is great, but he specifically mentions that he believes Liberty will be favorite to win the Big South next year.

You can find the rest of the interview here: https://www.spreaker.com/show/virginia-sports-report

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]