If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We win 65-45. Played zone almost half of the posessions.

Anyone know why Cabbil did not play? I'm assuming he tweaked his knee again.
Last edited by olldflame on February 24th, 2018, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Surprised to see the zone, but it was more effective than the pack line has been most of the year. Glad to see us give it a try. Good game by James and pretty much the entire team.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Surprised to see the zone, but it was more effective than the pack line has been most of the year. Glad to see us give it a try. Good game by James and pretty much the entire team.
We've been using it some the past several games, but not nearly this much. Cabbel being out may have been one reason for going that route. Seemed like the pack line was also more effective when we mixed it up.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Interesting stat: We had as many blocked shots as turnovers (5). :shock: Probably haven't seen that at least since Aluma's time.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We will be the 5 seed and play 4 seed Campbell in the quarterfinals at UNCA. Great opportunity to atone for 2 lackluster efforts against the Camels this year.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
My expectations before the season was a top 3 finish with an appearance in the conference finals. The first part has been ruled out but I think this team has proven they can be very good. They also have proven they can be pretty bad too. It'll be interesting to see which team shows up against Campbell.

They played solid today, especially in the 2nd half. The zone defense was on point.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I like the fact that we are playing at 9pm on Thursday night, mainly because I will be able to watch it, haha. In all seriousness though, the more rest for Cabbil the better our defensive performance will be.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:My expectations before the season was a top 3 finish with an appearance in the conference finals. The first part has been ruled out but I think this team has proven they can be very good. They also have proven they can be pretty bad too. It'll be interesting to see which team shows up against Campbell.

They played solid today, especially in the 2nd half. The zone defense was on point.
The pack line was also on point today. I think using both kept HP off balance. I expect we will see more of that going forward.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
thepostman wrote:My expectations before the season was a top 3 finish with an appearance in the conference finals. The first part has been ruled out but I think this team has proven they can be very good. They also have proven they can be pretty bad too. It'll be interesting to see which team shows up against Campbell.

The pack line was also on point today. I think using both kept HP off balance. I expect we will see more of that going forward.

Good point. Agreed completely.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I like the fact that we are playing at 9pm on Thursday night, mainly because I will be able to watch it, haha. In all seriousness though, the more rest for Cabbil the better our defensive performance will be.
We are 2-1 with Lovell out of the lineup and 0-4 in the games he played with the knee bothering him. If he isn't at least pretty close to 100%, I have to think we are better off going with the guys who are. Worked pretty well today.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I do not like tournament played at highest seed. That is high school stuff.
Regular season matters
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I do not like tournament played at highest seed. That is high school stuff.
Makes sense in a conference like the big south. Also adds value to the regular season.

I like it
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
Uh, according to the tiebreakers on the Big South site, with us winning and us, LU, HPU, and CSU all at 9-9, the tiebreaker shakes out this way:

5. GW
6. HPU
7. CSU
8. LU

You host PC Tuesday night, then play host UNCA if you win.

One benefit of splitting back into divisions next year is simplified tiebreakers. You have to be a Rhodes scholar to understand what the conference currently uses.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
No matter. We win the first game at #5 or #8 we play Asheville. Ahmad Thomas did not play against GW?
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
UNCA rested Thomas today. The difference in the game. No need to play him after he had to do his Willis Reed against WU the other night, after CSU went into Rock Hill and pulled that upset. WU never led in that game.
Last edited by g-webb1994 on February 24th, 2018, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
g-webb1994 wrote:Uh, according to the tiebreakers on the Big South site, with us winning and us, LU, HPU, and CSU all at 9-9, the tiebreaker shakes out this way:

5. GW
6. HPU
7. CSU
8. LU

You host PC Tuesday night, then play host UNCA if you win.

One benefit of splitting back into divisions next year is simplified tiebreakers. You have to be a Rhodes scholar to understand what the conference currently uses.
This is what I see under the GWU section of the Big South tiebreaker:

"No. 6 seed if tied with High Point, Liberty and Charleston Southern at 9-9"
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
My bad WEF good catch. LU is the 5. Sorry guys! Why the heck did I think CU lost today?

It sucks to approach 50 gentlemen....senility setting in. :D

So, we get a ticked off WU that has lost two straight. Don't know if I'd rather have that or Clemons in the tourney.

MacKay had better gameplan something for Clemons. That guy is just a pure assassin.
Last edited by g-webb1994 on February 24th, 2018, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:So nobody understands the big south the breaker rules. That is what it tells me.
Go to bloggingthewu.wordpress.com..i had this right.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]