If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Campbell University
Buies Creek, North Carolina

CU Hoops Official Site

Kevin McGeehan
5th Season as Camels Head Coach

2017-2018 Schedule/Results
  • Overall ...... 14-13
    Big South ... 8-7
    Home ........ 10-6

• NOV 10 - 4:00 PM - @ PENN STATE ...................................... L, 75-86
        NOV 13 - 7:00 PM - COLUMBIA INTERNATIONAL .................. W, 108-44
        NOV 18 - 7:00 PM - @ UNC WILMINGTON ............................. L, 84-88
        NOV 20 - 7:00 PM - JOHNSON & WALES .............................. W, 98-53

Creek Classic in Buies Creek
        NOV 24 - 2:00 PM - ABILENE CHRISTIAN .............................. L, 80-85 OT
        NOV 25 - 2:00 PM - BOWLING GREEN ................................... L, 72-78
        NOV 26 - 4:00 PM - USC UPSTATE ........................................ W, 93-74

NOV 30 - 7:00 PM - @ STETSON .......................................... W, 85-78
        DEC 04 - 7:00 PM - @ EAST CAROLINA ................................. L, 66-69
        DEC 14 - 7:00 PM - THE CITADEL ......................................... W, 87-77
        DEC 19 - 8:30 PM - @ SAINT LOUIS ...................................... L, 66-74
        DEC 22 - 2:00 PM - ALLEN ................................................... W, 91-62
        DEC 30 - 2:00 PM - @ UNC ASHEVILLE* ................................ L, 79-85
        JAN 03 - 7:00 PM - GARDNER-WEBB* ................................... L, 80-82 OT
        JAN 06 - 2:00 PM - WINTHROP* ........................................... W, 88-77
        JAN 09 - 7:00 PM - @ PRESBYTERIAN* ................................. W, 83-79
        JAN 12 - 7:00 PM - HIGH POINT* ......................................... W, 65-64
        JAN 15 - 7:00 PM - @ LONGWOOD* ...................................... L, 62-76
        JAN 18 - 7:00 PM - CHARLESTON SOUTHERN* ..................... W, 62-47
        JAN 21 - 2:00 PM - RADFORD ............................................... W, 59-56
        JAN 23 - 7:00 PM - @ LIBERTY* ......................... W, 94-85
        JAN 27 - 2:00 PM - @ WINTHROP* ....................................... L, 64-75
        FEB 01 - 7:00 PM - UNC ASHEVILLE* .................................... L, 57-64
        FEB 03 - 7:00 PM - @ HIGH POINT* ...................................... L, 56-67
        FEB 07 - 7:00 PM - @ GARDNER-WEBB* ............................... W, 78-70
        FEB 10 - 4:30 PM - LONGWOOD* .......................................... W, 88-54
        FEB 15 - 9:00 PM - @ RADFORD* .......................................... L, 53-72
        FEB 18 - 2:00 PM - LIBERTY*

Key Players

#3 Chris Clemons
        5' 9" 180 lbs Junior Guard
        In 23 Games: Averaging 24.6 Pts, 4.4 Rebs & 3.0 Assists + 37.5% (69-of-184) on 3-Pt Attempts

#34 Marcus Burk
        6' 3" 205 lbs Sophomore Guard
        Thru 26 Games: Averaging 15.6 Pts, 3.8 Rebs & 1.2 Assists + 41.3% (76-of-184) on 3-Pt Attempts
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I hope coach circled this game on the calendar. I would love to see us focus a bit more on not letting two players kill us. We need to beat this team.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I really do think we avenge our loss at home. Scottie is playing on an all-conference and POY level right now and having Isaiah back is big too. I think we win this one by 8 to 12 points.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:I hope coach circled this game on the calendar. I would love to see us focus a bit more on not letting two players kill us. We need to beat this team.
I like our chances. In 3 previous games with Cabbel (who was out with his knee injury for the loss earlier this year) having the primary responsibility to guard Cleamons, he averaged 17 a game and had to take a lot of shots to get that. Lovell has the combination of quickness and length to get out and challenge him on the 3, forcing him to either alter his shot or drive into the teeth of the pack line. As far as circling this or any other game on the calendar for some sort of special attention, Ritchie doesn't do that. The focus is always on the next opponent.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
It's been a struggle but we are only down 5 at the half. We are shooting the 3 ball like a middle school team and don't seem locked in. Like most of our games this year where we have struggled our heads don't seem to be in the game.
I predict we come out with a whole different attitude in the 2nd half.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
very very poor effort especially on the defensive end. Maybe mckay and company need to go back to uva for some more coaching on how to run this defense. It doesnt look very much like the uva defense i watch.

Says a lot about the program to come out and play like they did today with what was at stake especially when radford destoyed campbell the other night and we had a huge win.

Typical liberty flame basketball!
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
It's pretty bad that we actually play worse defense than Campbell a team that plays no defense. We need some lockdown perimeter defenders.

While Kemrite did hit a couple threes, he's such a liability on defense and he had costly turnovers at the end.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone else think this team has some internal strife or chemistry issues? I know i have read alot about how close they are but they play like a team that can't wait to end the season and get away from each other. I really like the pieces we have now and have coming in but i have this feeling in the back of my mind that another break up is coming like 97-98 or 2009.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
From a coaches perspective: atleast half of the threes that campbell made were 24 to 27 feet from the basket. If your gonna make those shots more power to ya. There is not much you can do about that when people think they are steph curry and can chuck from way down town. And lets give Campbell credit where credit is due. They can shoot the 3 ball and they hit their free throws today too. I did think we abandoned our post game a little to early and that ended up putting in this mindset that we needed to shoot more 3s. Scottie and baxter bell could have been utilized more against campbell, but that is the way it went tonight. I thought our defense caused a lot of problems for Campbell this afternoon. I want Campbell one more time in the tourney and watch the third time be the charm. Should be an exciting finish to the season.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Dont question kemrite. Youll get roasted on here. I said it at mercer. If hes not hitting 3s hes a complete liabilty on all other phases at this point. Gardner would have helped so much.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Dont question kemrite. Youll get roasted on here. I said it at mercer. If hes not hitting 3s hes a complete liabilty on all other phases at this point. Gardner would have helped so much.
What is your obsession with Gardner? He transferred because he didn't want to compete for PT. We didn't lose this game because of offense, and he was pretty much a liability on defense. Kemrite hit his 3s today. Campbell was hot from 3 again, which is not the norm for them. Disappointing loss. My main question is, why did Scottie only play 19 minutes when he was not in foul trouble?
Last edited by olldflame on February 18th, 2018, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PAFlame
I really have no way of knowing where this team is but there's a lot going on. The pray to Jesus that the opponent misses wide open 3s defense isn't gonna win games for us, and no Gardner would have not helped because he's just as awful as Kemrite on defense. Can someone get Baxter-Bell an oxygen tank? He's regressed quite a bit from last year and I hope he steps it up in year 3. I really could care less if Talbert comes back because he's essentially a ghost, but my real concern is why Newton redshirted this year. You'd hope someone like him could really help in this pathetic conference of ours but something just doesn't sit right with me.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
My only issue with Newton's redshirt is that players his size typically battle foot injuries and now we will be at the mercy of the NCAA for a medical redshirt should he fall into that common situation. Otherwise I like him getting stronger and learning our system for a year before he comes onto the floor hopefully as a dominant rim protector.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
PAFlame wrote:I really have no way of knowing where this team is but there's a lot going on. The pray to Jesus that the opponent misses wide open 3s defense isn't gonna win games for us, and no Gardner would have not helped because he's just as awful as Kemrite on defense. Can someone get Baxter-Bell an oxygen tank? He's regressed quite a bit from last year and I hope he steps it up in year 3. I really could care less if Talbert comes back because he's essentially a ghost, but my real concern is why Newton redshirted this year. You'd hope someone like him could really help in this pathetic conference of ours but something just doesn't sit right with me.
I had my doubts when the decision was made to redshirt Newton, but I am OK with it in the big picture. I think Ritchie is doing a huge "sandbag" on him and he will make a major impact next hear.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Does anyone else think this team has some internal strife or chemistry issues? I know i have read alot about how close they are but they play like a team that can't wait to end the season and get away from each other. I really like the pieces we have now and have coming in but i have this feeling in the back of my mind that another break up is coming like 97-98 or 2009.
No.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Obviously, we cannot play against well against a packed zone defense. We are more than happy to keep passing the ball around the perimeter and then take a bad 3 point shot.
We also give up more 3's than anyone else on the conference. Not sure we have the guys to effectively play the pack-line defense. I also think that we pick up too high on the defensive end of the court. Baxter-Bell committed a foul close to the half court line today. That opens up seams for guys to take wide open 3's.
Kinda embarrassing to lose two games to a team from Buies Creek, NC.
By PAFlame
I don't think McKay's packline defense has to be 100% exactly the same as Bennett's, as I'm sure there are some things Bennett does that are head scratchers . The thing I was really looking forward to was this defense being elite around the perimeter when it's obvious that almost 4 years in it still isn't clicking.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Oldflame what is your obsession with making excuses for under performing coaches and programs consistenly??

All ill say is i think we could have done more to keep gardner from what i heard. Its a mis evaluation of talent. Whoever said hes as bad on d as kemrite hahahaha cmon. I cant even take anything serious that would say that.

Jon....ding ding ding. Your onto something there.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Oldflame what is your obsession with making excuses for under performing coaches and programs consistenly??

All ill say is i think we could have done more to keep gardner from what i heard. Its a mis evaluation of talent. Whoever said hes as bad on d as kemrite hahahaha cmon. I cant even take anything serious that would say that.

Jon....ding ding ding. Your onto something there.
You use the term "under performing" like it is a statement of fact, when in fact it is merely an opinion. Your man-crush on Gardner on the other hand, borders on disturbing. He was a talented offensive player who felt entitled and left when he realized he would have to work hard, play D and earn his minutes. "could have done more to keep him?" Like what? Kiss his butt? Nobody wanted him to succeed more than our staff, but that was not going to happen.
By Jonathan Carone
My question remains: why do teams all of a sudden get hot and hit their shots against us? What are we doing that’s causing that to happen. It’s happened too often for it to be a fluke.
By PAFlame
Jonathan Carone wrote:My question remains: why do teams all of a sudden get hot and hit their shots against us? What are we doing that’s causing that to happen. It’s happened too often for it to be a fluke.
I said it in an earlier post, but it's almost as though we design it purposely around collapsing in the paint and just pray every open 3 is missed, and it's like gambling in Vegas with that one. A lot of coaches will sit there and say it's a "maturity" issue, but my goodness the changes should start to show for the better in year 3 and dramatically improve in year 4. Right now, I simply don't see that based on McKay's defensive schematics, and I hope he isn't too stubborn to make adjustments or start to panic if things go south. At this level, it's 60/40 with the coach taking the former amount of responsibility.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I had no idea that Campbell has the 2nd largest student enrollment in the Big South with 10,471 students, meaning it's bigger than Radford and twice the size of High Point, Gardner-Webb, and Longwood. :shock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_South_Conference
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
PAFlame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:My question remains: why do teams all of a sudden get hot and hit their shots against us? What are we doing that’s causing that to happen. It’s happened too often for it to be a fluke.
I said it in an earlier post, but it's almost as though we design it purposely around collapsing in the paint and just pray every open 3 is missed, and it's like gambling in Vegas with that one. A lot of coaches will sit there and say it's a "maturity" issue, but my goodness the changes should start to show for the better in year 3 and dramatically improve in year 4. Right now, I simply don't see that based on McKay's defensive schematics, and I hope he isn't too stubborn to make adjustments or start to panic if things go south. At this level, it's 60/40 with the coach taking the former amount of responsibility.
I hope you are not laboring under the misconception that the defensive system we employ is something Ritchie McKay cooked up. This is the Dick/Tony Bennett pack line, and please let's not forget that it is the foundation upon which our dumpster fire of a basketball program has made an impressive resurgence in the past 3 seasons. It, like any defense, is certainly not infallible, and can be exploited. Teams in the BSC (most notably Campbell) have recognized that if they are willing to extend their offense to take shots from 3 or 4 feet further than they normally would, they can get pretty clean looks. You still have to make them, and there have been about 4 games this year when our opponents beat us by making those shots. It's frustrating as a fan, and I understand the tendency to want the coach to make changes, but those changes would likely create other opportunities to exploit and more importantly, there is a risk there of undermining the player's confidence in the system.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]