If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

So, in light of the discussions on another thread about GOATS and thankfully our team is not full of the fainting kind :D .

I wanted to pose another question for our aseaofred family.

Is there anyone on this year's squad who will be 1st team all-conference and if not how many will we have on second team all-conference?

IMHO

1st Team - Scottie

2nd Team - Georgie

Honorable Mention - Lovell
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Cabbil is averaging more points, assists, and rebounds than Georgie. I have not seen stats from WU or UNCA players, and I would assume Chris Clemons is first team.

Scottie is boarder line first team averaging 13 and 9.

If anyone makes second team, in my opinion it will be Cabbil.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Quick review of First team candidates player stats around the league.

UNCA - Ahmed Thomas is averaging 16 and 6
UNCA - Maceo Teague is averaging 16 and 4
Winthrop - Cooks is averaging 18 and 9
Winthrop - Broman , 12 and 3
Radford- Polite Jr , 14 and 8
Campbell - Clemons , 25 and 4
Campbell - Burke, 15 and 4
Chuck South, Christian Keeling , 17 and 5
Highpoint - Jahaad Proctor 17 and 3
Highpoint - Andre Fox , 17 and 5.
Gardner Webb - David E. 17 and 3

I believe First team will come from this group. Here is my stab at it. In my opinion, I like first team all conference players to be from the top teams in the league, unless you have an outlying player like Clemons.

Cooks-WU
Thomas - UNCA
James - LU
Teague - UNCA
Clemmons - CU

That leaves 5 guys from this list for second team. I do not believe Georgie or Cabbil make second team all conference. The only questionable one in my opinion would be Broman, but he is averaging more points on a team that finished higher in the standings than either LU player.

On a side note, I did not realize Georgie is shooting 44% from three. Incredible. Also notable, Georgie has turned it over a ton this year. Including in a big spot last night against UNCA. That was his biggest asset last season, he did not turn it over.
Unless he totally goes off in these last 3 games (and he might) I suspect Scottie will be beon the second team, and that very well could be it. Based on how they have voted in past years I expect Polite to get the last spot on the first team. Slightly higher scoring average, and he is a SR. Personally, I don't care, and I doubt if anyone involved with this team does either. We seem to get our best results when the wealth is shared.

I do expect Cuffee to make the all FR team, with Keegan having an outside shot.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
KenPom currently has his all-conference players as: Cooks, Clemons, Thomas, Polite, and Scottie. I think James has a really good shot at grabbing the 5th spot on this list especially if we win out and get the 3rd seed.

Lovell has a shot at 2nd team. I wouldn't be shocked if Kemrite sniffed the HM team just for his career achievements. He is shooting 45% from 3 too.
After checking out the BSC stats, it really looks like Cooks is a no brainer for POY. Second in scoring, rebounding and assists and first in FG% and blocked shots. Cleamons has taken a lot more shots to get his points, and it is telling that as a 5'9" guard who has the ball in his hands constantly, he is nowhere to be seen on the list of assist leaders.
olldflame wrote:Cleamons has taken a lot more shots to get his points, and it is telling that as a 5'9" guard who has the ball in his hands constantly, he is nowhere to be seen on the list of assist leaders.
Man that sounds familiar.
jcmanson wrote:KenPom currently has his all-conference players as: Cooks, Clemons, Thomas, Polite, and Scottie. I think James has a really good shot at grabbing the 5th spot on this list especially if we win out and get the 3rd seed.

Lovell has a shot at 2nd team. I wouldn't be shocked if Kemrite sniffed the HM team just for his career achievements. He is shooting 45% from 3 too.
3 bigs would be a rarity for this conference, but I actually like that first team. I suspect Teague will get the nod over either Polite or Scottie though. There have been years when they named 5 guards to this team and 3 or 4 is the norm.

Ryan is not listed among the 3 pt % leaders because of the silly minimum of 2.5 makes per game. Only 4 players qualified, and of those, only B Brohman and Teague are over 40%. It's been that way for years, and it's a joke. They have a separate category for 3 pointers made per game. They need to have a more reasonable minimum in the % category to reward the truly efficient 3 point shooters.
Last edited by olldflame on February 16th, 2018, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I think I mentioned this on twitter the other day, but it bears repeating. The school record for single season 3 point fg% is 44.0% set by Hildebrand in 1993 and Charles Richardson in 1989. Kemrite is currently shooting 45.0% and Georgie is at 44.0%.

School record for career 3 point fg% is 42.9% set by Hildebrand. Kemrite is currently at 42.8%.
jcmanson wrote:I think I mentioned this on twitter the other day, but it bears repeating. The school record for single season 3 point fg% is 44.0% set by Hildebrand in 1993 and Charles Richardson in 1989. Kemrite is currently shooting 45.0% and Georgie is at 44.0%.

School record for career 3 point fg% is 42.9% set by Hildebrand. Kemrite is currently at 42.8%.
Absolutely nothing against Hildo, but I want to see Ryan break both of those records because we are a better team when he shoots well (last night being a perfect example.)
olldflame wrote:
jcmanson wrote:I think I mentioned this on twitter the other day, but it bears repeating. The school record for single season 3 point fg% is 44.0% set by Hildebrand in 1993 and Charles Richardson in 1989. Kemrite is currently shooting 45.0% and Georgie is at 44.0%.

Absolutely nothing against Hildo, but I want to see Ryan break both of those records because we are a better team when he shoots well (last night being a perfect example.)[/quote]

Agree. Especially since those who had the opportunity to see both play, recognize that Kemrite is no Hildo.
flameshaw wrote:
olldflame wrote:

Absolutely nothing against Hildo, but I want to see Ryan break both of those records because we are a better team when he shoots well (last night being a perfect example.)[/quote]

Agree. Especially since those who had the opportunity to see both play, recognize that Kemrite is no Hildo.
Of course not. Matt was about the same size, but he had PG skills as well as being a great shooter.
So, in the last six games Scottie is averaging just under 18ppg(@ 17.8ppg) and 9 rebounds a game. It is extremely hard to argue against those not being 1st team all big south numbers. Not to mention his game has consistently improved throughout the year and if you take him off this team it would be extremely noticeable!
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:So, in the last six games Scottie is averaging just under 18ppg(@ 17.8ppg) and 9 rebounds a game. It is extremely hard to argue against those not being 1st team all big south numbers. Not to mention his game has consistently improved throughout the year and if you take him off this team it would be extremely noticeable!
A lot of the BSC voters don't know squat about who has improved or regressed or how valuable they are to their team. They look at the season stats. Your chances are probably actually better if you start out hot and drop off than the opposite.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]