If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
LU could be a 1 seed since the Mocs have won like nine games and are basically last in the SoCon. Good times ahead.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/report-fbi ... d=53301814

Players from at least a dozen Division I men's basketball programs have been identified as possibly breaking NCAA rules through violations that were uncovered by the FBI's investigation into corruption in the sport, according to documents published by Yahoo! Sports.

Schools identified by Yahoo! as having players who possibly violated NCAA rules include? Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC and Kansas. At least 25 players are linked to impermissible benefits ................
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
this has been taking place for years, yet NCAA basically "looked the other way", except for a few cases. The biggest culprit is AAU basketball. That is where most "bad stuff" gets it's start with players who receives illegal benefits. There are rogue AAU coaches, middlemen, street agents, shoe companies, etc. roaming the AAU ranks.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach, you don’t know what you’re talking about. The NCAA is a governing body granted power by the schools. It doesn’t have the investigative strength of the FBI. It can’t issue warrants, it can’t compel witnesses to testify under oath, it can’t gather evidentiary depositions, and it can’t issue warrants. It makes rules that govern the schools only. And it basically has to stumble upon violations. It is staggeringly easy to violate key bylaws undetected. Caught culprits usually are caught simply because they get sloppy.

Sean Miller - the latest casualty - was found out by a wiretap on a runner’s phone. The NCAA can’t gather that kind of stuff. Furthermore, the NCAA cannot go after grassroots entities (you call them AAU, but the official AAU really isn’t much anymore) for the real threat of lawsuits from everyone connected to grassroots basketball. It’s been shown that if the NCAA were to attempt to regulate grassroots boys and girls basketball any further than it already does, it would open itself and the membership up to collusion lawsuits.

This all starts with the NCAA limiting student-athletes’ rights to their own names and likenesses. Every student-athlete is compelled to sign away their rights every year they compete at an NCAA member institution. This is a form of oppression. And anytime a body oppresses another, it creates a black market. That is where the shoe companies, agents and their middlemen, and boosters swoop in to fill the void. This was the crux of the O’Bannon case, but it wasn’t serious enough to compel the NCAA to make drastic changes. But I believe it’s only a matter of time.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Perception is reality. If they feel oppressed, they’re open targets.

Have you ever read the NLI, or the NCAA Renewal of Scholarship Form?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I can’t say it better than this:

“As long as the NCAA holds tight to the concept of amateurism, and denies student-athletes the ability to secure representation, or accept fair-market value, this black market that could potentially sully the names of multiple Hall of Famers, and theoretically lead to blue bloods playing with reduced rosters as early as this weekend, will never go away no matter how many smart people are placed on a committee. That's a fact. And until Emmert, and the people who control Emmert, acknowledge this fact, and address it in a meaningful way, student-athletes -- especially those with identifiable talents that suggest they could soon be worth millions of dollars -- will forever have people trying to give them things in violation of NCAA rules for any number of reasons. And, obviously, lots and lots of them will be happy to accept those things.”
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Schools cheating has been going on for years, while NCAA basically "looks the other way", except for a few cases. When NCAA catches a school cheating, they do very little to punish them. If NCAA had issued a 3-5 year post season ban to schools from P5 conferences that have been caught cheating in past 10 years, the problem would not be as big as it is now.
Also, NCAA should ban coaches from recruiting thru AAU ranks, and have them recruit strictly thru high schools.
I don't like the idea of paying college athletes. If you pay a football or basketball player, you're gonna have to pay baseball, softball, tennis, volleyball, golf etc. (or face multiple lawsuits. A college athlete is a college athlete, no matter the sport. 98% of college athletes never play pro ball.
The root of problem starts with Emmert and filters down. He is the most over paid individual in America. (Roger Goodell is a close 2nd)
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Im not saying i agree 100 percent. To me the main argument is wrong because that NLI applies differently to the handful of pro prospects that your trying to protect. 95 percent of the ncaa athletes will not sniff pro money.

To me the mlb college baseball system fixes 95 percent of the issues. If the kids are good enough they can be drafted after high school. They can choose whether to sign or not based on draft position. Expand the draft to 3 rounds. If you dont sign then your in college for 3 years min.

Also i couldnt disagree more with the sentiment that if you feel oppressed your automatically oppressed. Especially with millenials who lack maturity and discipline almost across the board.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
It’s not about pro money. It’s about letting student-athletes retain the rights to their own name and likeness, and alllowing them to reap its value on the free market. Capitalism 101, and long long overdue. It is oppressive to restrict one’s earnings in that way.

I said if they “feel” oppressed, it makes them easy targets - for those who would take advantage of their feelings of oppression.

I don’t agree that you have to pay players. Full scholarship athletes receive tuition, room, board, books and most fees from the university. They also now receive COA stipends and greater meal allowances from universities. As far as the transaction between school and student-athlete, that’s enough.

What I’m saying is beyond what a student-athlete receives from the institution, they should be allowed to earn from other entities. If a local car dealership wants to pay the star bball player for a 30-second commercials or an appearance on a Saturday at the dealership to sign some autographs - why not? And you know what? If an agent wants to take a kid and his parents to dinner - or even sign him to a representation contract - why not? The NCAA takes away these rights from student-athletes, which every non-athlete at the institution possesses. It absolutely IS a form of oppression.

Let’s say that while you are working at your full-time job, another company comes to you and offers you $5,000 to do some after hours work for them. It the government tells you that you’re not allowed to take that job or that money - wouldn’t you feel oppressed? Oh, and let’s say the company you work for full-time sells the product you make for a $700M net annual profit, but only pays you $100,000. And they couldn’t do it without you. Wouldn’t you want a bigger piece of the pie?

This notion that someone above the student-athletes May restrict their earnings while the s-a assumes the overwhelming majority of the risk, goes against every element of a free market and capitalism.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]